The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,554 of 1,866
Not sure if it helps but I will share my experience from recent testing of stax demo units at the local store. I'm new to the stax world, I did some preliminary research and booked a testing session with L700(mk1 as they didn't have demo mk2 yet at the store) and sr 007 mk2. Energisers available : 006t (for l700) & 700s (for 007).

To make long story short: when I heard l700 connected to 006t I was not impressed and kind of disappointed. Sound was some sort of flat, with almost no bass, but the overall sound was very "aggressive"? I couldn't listen it for a long time. But, from curiosity I connected L700 to 700s( the latest stax energiser 2x more expensive than the l700 headphones), with this setup I was literally blown away and immediately felt in love with L700! The sound was now smoother, the bass appeared (very good one, not" just the lows") and actually I couldn't stop listening. Classical/orchestra pieces which I've well known and heard live sounded like never before. Yes , these are amazing headphones, but need very good energiser. There was a day/night difference between 006t and 700s powering L700. 700s brought l700 to a completely new level, and I liked it much more than 007 mk2.

So to help to answer your question - in my opinion L700 can benefit A LOT from upgrading the amp. However I can't tell if srm- 600 limited will make the difference over 006t. Srm 700s did a huge difference. And I hope that 727 ii will make that too, since in theory 700s is only slightly improved version of 727.

Something that I cannot explain is why solid state amp gave more bass than the tube amp?? Also made the sound smoother... no idea. Perhaps default tubes in 006t must be very poor..

L700 are now on my radar, I'm planning to buy a pair. There is only mk2 version available and I can only hope it will not be worse than mk1 which I tested...

* btw the dac which was used during my testing at the shop was from T+A company, don't remember the model, the price was around 4 000 USD though.
@salgado I've got a 700s coming home next week to pair with my l700. I did it!!

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,557 of 1,866
That's great!! I'm sure you will enjoy this combo.

By the way did you have a chance to compare 700s to 727 ii ?
No, I didn't. I could have saved some cash probably. I've been waiting for months for shops to open in the UK but got fed up, especially as I'm spending so much time at home at the moment. I caved after reading universally good reports about the 700s.

You like the 727?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,558 of 1,866
No, I didn't. I could have saved some cash probably. I've been waiting for months for shops to open in the UK but got fed up, especially as I'm spending so much time at home at the moment. I caved after reading universally good reports about the 700s.

You like the 727?
I see. Yes, I'm still happy with my 727. So far it fits nicely in my current setup.

Let us know how the 700s will work for you :) I'm curious your impressions.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,559 of 1,866
I see. Yes, I'm still happy with my 727. So far it fits nicely in my current setup.

Let us know how the 700s will work for you :) I'm curious your impressions.
My new Stax 700S is now sitting proudly on my coffee table. It's been switched on for a day (playing a random playlist to my L700s). I'm a firm believer in initial burn in of electronic equipment (more so for valves, less so for solid state).

I've spent some time tailoring my existing source equipment (mainly power supply management, power cables) as the detail provided by the 700s brought some deficiencies out into the clear. I've learnt that the linear power supply for my innuos server benefits from a good power cable.

After a couple of hours of discovery I am now happy that I am getting to hear many of the benefits from the 700s. I'll probably live with the current setup for a week before make any more alterations.

My setup is :

• Innuos Zen MK3 mini powered by Innuos MK3 linear power supply
  • Chord Mscaler taking Toslink input from the Innuos, powered by an Sbooster MK2
  • Chord Hugo 2 taking dual (Wave Storm) BNC from the Mscaler, powered by an Sbooster MK2
  • Stax 700s taking RCA (Atlas DD hyper 2)
  • Stax L700
Summary is that I'm loving the 700s. I'll update after a couple of weeks of living with it.

Adrian

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,560 of 1,866
I read somewhere that the 353X is just a 252 with PSU built in, is that true???
Not so. The 353x is significantly better than the 252s. Notably it maintains composure much better at higher playback levels. I own both and I think the SR207 sounds better on the 353 than the L500 sounds on the 252.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back