The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #1,532 of 1,866
Yes, I agree 700s would be overpriced. I finally bought the new L700mk2 and used 727 ii and I couldn't be happier. This is my end game so far for classical/orchestral pieces.

I can't tell the differences between l700 mk2 and mk1, or in other words I can't be sure of those. I've got impression that mk1 sounded a bit brighter but the setup was different though. I had only a chance to audition mk1 while ago at the store, where the dac was different than the one I got for my recently received mk2 and from manufacturer that I've never tested before (T+A). My dac is gustard x20pro. I guess interconnects were different as well.

EDIT: The dac which was at the store while I was testing l700mk1 was T+A DAC 8 DSD. I just read it's a very bright, highly detailed and analytical dac with very direct presentation. So the brightness I remembered of mk1 over mk2 which I have now at home could be from this dac. Although can't be 100% sure without a/b comparison of both headphones at the same conditions.
The DAC8 is a fantastic DAC and for me is not analytical is very musical and mature sound, depends also from the rest of the system 😉

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,533 of 1,866
Different people, different perception :wink: that's what makes this hobby so special, and sometimes complicated :wink:

I also think that this dac is fantastic. But so far I thought that my gustard x20 pro is a bit on analitycal side (with two es9028pro sabre on board). Well, comparing it to the dac8 dsd now I think gustard is super relaxed and very musical :wink:

Also are we talking about the same dac "DAC 8 DSD " ( which has replaced older version "DAC 8", without dsd in the name).

Best wishes,

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,534 of 1,866
Different people, different perception :wink: that's what makes this hobby so special, and sometimes complicated :wink:

I also think that this dac is fantastic. But so far I thought that my gustard x20 pro is a bit on analitycal side (with two es9028pro sabre on board). Well, comparing it to the dac8 dsd now I think gustard is super relaxed and very musical :wink:

Also are we talking about the same dac "DAC 8 DSD " ( which has replaced older version "DAC 8", without dsd in the name).

Best wishes,

You were right... I was talking about the original DAC8 👍

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,535 of 1,866
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,536 of 1,866
In "technical" capabilities i.e how detailed they are its pretty close, with the largest jump going from the L300 to the L500, while the L500 to the L700 is barely noticable if anything.

I don't believe this is true.

Technically the 500 is almost identical to the 300 not the 700. The main difference is upgraded pads, cable and for the Mk2 the benefit of detachable cable, metal yoke etc. so you will get improved ergonomics with the 500 but not much improvement in sound - though the thicker pads do change the sound somewhat.

The L700 uses the same stator technology as the Omegas and are technically a leap ahead of the 300 and 500.

In terms of comfort, the L500 and L700 are a lot more comfortable than the L300.

Yes. Just because of the pad thickness L300<L500<L700

As for the mk1 vs mk2 there aren't any changes in sound afaik.

Yes. Stax has stated no change to the drivers etc, though different clamping from the new yokes could change the sound a little.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,538 of 1,866
Are the L700 MK.2s free from dust problems? Can I treat these like I treat dynamic headphones (e.g. hanging the headphones on a stand with dust covers)?

Im not sure exactly what do you mean by dust problems, but it's like every headphone - it will get dust, so it's not "free" in this regard.

Furthermore imho electrostatic headphones are even more sensitive to dust, so dust cover in my opinion is absolutely required if you want to keep it on the stand in open space.

Please also DO NOT use any material cover, rather please use a plastic one, for example plastic bag sold by stax (stax cpc-1). I bought this one and it does the job.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,539 of 1,866
Im not sure exactly what do you mean by dust problems, but it's like every headphone - it will get dust, so it's not "free" in this regard.

Furthermore imho electrostatic headphones are even more sensitive to dust, so dust cover in my opinion is absolutely required if you want to keep it on the stand in open space.

Please also DO NOT use any material cover, rather please use a plastic one, for example plastic bag sold by stax (stax cpc-1). I bought this one and it does the job.
Stax headphones have built-in dust covers.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,543 of 1,866
It’s a rating system for furnace filters, just having a little fun! I own Stax and never knew that. Still keep them covered in the funny Stax bag on the over priced wooden stand though. 😉
Same for me. But instead of pricey stax wooden stand, I bought different one, only slightly cheaper though ;p

Attachments

• 20210127_183920.jpg
    20210127_183920.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210127_184010.jpg
    20210127_184010.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,545 of 1,866
does anybody here know an alternative headphone cover that is more economical than the pricey stax plastic cover? thanks.

What prevents you from using literally any random plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back