The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,369 of 1,866
I was able to get very cheap to a new Stax L-500 and struck immediately.

Now I need a suitable amplifier.

Yes, the SRM252S (3100 set) should be the right one, SRM353 should probably fit even better, a tube amp is probably the measure of all things. At the moment, I want to limit my spending a bit.

Which do you recommend?

1. If price does not matter.
2. If price plays a role very well .... but really gets a lot out of the L500.

I had already thought of a SRM212, which I could currently get cheap. Just do not know if that is so recommended or if the connection technology would fit at all.
Am now an absolute Stax-beginner.
Thanks for helpful answers.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,370 of 1,866
I was able to get very cheap to a Stax L-500 and struck immediately.

Now I need a suitable amplifier.

Yes, the SRM252S (3100 set) should be the right one, SRM353 should probably fit even better, a tube amp is probably the measure of all things. At the moment, I want to limit my spending a bit.

Which do you recommend?

1. If price does not matter.
2. If price plays a role very well .... but really gets a lot out of the L500.

I had already thought of a SRM212, which I could currently get cheap. Just do not know if that is so recommended or if the connection technology would fit at all.
Am now an absolute Stax-fresh.
Thanks for helpful answers.
SRM252S with Little Bear P10 as a pre-amp (for some tube goodness) works very well with my 009, should be a good starting point for you.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882901310.html

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,371 of 1,866
Thanks BenF for the hint.

Has someone tipps, too?
Priced to me the SRM212 contrary, but I do not hope that my start in the Stax world then Stax is not good. Following the motto: Good Stax headphones but only mediocre amplifier ...?!
... and then mediocre sound ... umd frustrated I sell the things again ...?!

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,372 of 1,866
Thanks BenF for the hint.

Has someone tipps, too?
Priced to me the SRM212 contrary, but I do not hope that my start in the Stax world then Stax is not good. Following the motto: Good Stax headphones but only mediocre amplifier ...?!
... and then mediocre sound ... umd frustrated I sell the things again ...?!
Nothing wrong with SRM252S - it's a decent amp with plenty of power for L-series.
Adding a tube preamp can really make the sound more pleasurable and less clinical - but it's a matter of personal preference.

Try getting L300 pads - with them L500 will have huge wow-factor out of SRM252S - endless soundstage, tremendous treble extension without harshness. The only downside is decrease in bass response.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,373 of 1,866
I bought my first Stax headphones. It is an L500.
I still need a suitable amplifier.
... and I'm pondering something.
Varying amplification between the T1, a SRM323 II, a SRD-X Pro with good power supply, a SRM212 or SRM252, possibly even SRM-X
Well, not so easy.

Can anyone help me further?

I personaly like the SRM323II and the SRM212 as best at the moment.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,374 of 1,866
My daughter just broke one of the forks/case holders of my L700 Mk1. Since I have to replace it I would prefer to replace both forks with the spare parts for the Mk2 that have the forks/case holders made of aluminum (hopefully daughter proof...). From the pictures they seem interchangeable, but I got two different replies from distributors in two different countries. Anyone made this modification, is it the same torx screw that holds it to the headband assembly?

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,375 of 1,866
My daughter just broke one of the forks/case holders of my L700 Mk1. Since I have to replace it I would prefer to replace both forks with the spare parts for the Mk2 that have the forks/case holders made of aluminum (hopefully daughter proof...). From the pictures they seem interchangeable, but I got two different replies from distributors in two different countries. Anyone made this modification, is it the same torx screw that holds it to the headband assembly?
Hi my L700 mk1 broke twice, Stax told me the yokes from the Mk2 won't fit the old type. I fear they will know what they say. Best wishes Y

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,377 of 1,866
My experience is almost limited to pro audio dac... Except for the Jotunheim with the DAC module that I had for a few weeks. In my opinion, the "BMC-2 + Jotunheim" combo was MUCH better than the Jotunheim with his internal Dac module!

I also have a Presonus Central station in another system in my house and the DAC section is very good too.

My next DAC (IF I decide to upgrade) might be the RME Adi-2 pro. I think that you get more per dollars in pro audio...

which could be another good DAC?
I have a Stax L500 and a 006tII ... and the Sony CD-/SACD Player DVP 900V

thanks a lot...

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,380 of 1,866
Currently own a BHSE with SR-009. Looking to add another electrostat to the mix for diversity. I have listened to the L700, L500 & 007 while living in Japan. Spent a great amount of time listening to these on the T8000. In your humble opinion, to provide a diverse listening experience, which earspeaker would you suggest from the either the Stax family or another electrostat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back