The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,846 of 1,866
Are you running the L500 mk2 with the blu tac mod? After I modded mine the bass really came to life. I also own the 007 and the CRBN, I go back and forth between them. Some days I prefer the CRBN, other days the 007.

I think the L500 mk2, the 007, and the CRBN are all in the same "league". The CRBN wins 100% for comfort and looks imo. I recommend the 007 for sure, much cheaper then the CRBN and sounds great.
Yes, I am running it with the blu-tac mod, and I also replaced the earpads with the ones from the L700. I am not exaggerating about how much better the sound is now, with the blu-tac mod + L700 earpads + custom EQ + slightly adjusting the bass level from the DSP on the Mojo 2.

Recently, I have been messing around with my setup, using the internal DAC of the Woo Audio WA7e, connecting its pre-out to feed the Stax SRM-400S which runs my modded L500. And let me tell you, the result is nothing short of wizardry for my eardrums — completely different than running the L500 directly from the SRM-400S or the WA7e. Don't get me wrong, both the SRM-400S and the WA7e are rockstars in their own right, but this was a very interesting and revealing experiment. P.S. I have the stock tubes on the WA7e swapped out for some Apos Ray tubes, and they actually spiced things up.

Quick update: I decided to give the Audeze LCD-5 another whirl. And again, I kinda liked it... It sounded good, it was very detailed, and it felt really comfortable on my head — I do have a small head, so I didn't find the clamp pressure as bad as what some big-headed audiophiles suggested. I decided to take my time, in a semi-quiet room at the audio shop, listen to some things I am familiar with, and it was good... really good. Then I got bold and tweaked the EQ a bit... then I walked out of that room, gave them my wallet, and took it home with me. This was my love-at-second-listen moment.

After spending some time EQ'ing the LCD-5 at home, I knew that I made the right decision, it compliments my setup nicely — it gives me a good alternative to my electrostatic setup. I am really happy, my wallet and my wife are not (jk).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,847 of 1,866
Yes, but it didn't really work for me, especially that my ears were rubbing against the mesh inside. Felt weird, I couldn't haha.
Bummer, my ears fit well with the thick L700 pads.

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,848 of 1,866
I too have the CRBN and L700. I found very few reasons to pick the L700 over the CRBN other than desire. Although, the other day I chose to play vinyl. In doing so, I chose to listen via the L700. This was truly pleasant. Perhaps, I can justify keeping them for listening to analog.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,849 of 1,866
I too have the CRBN and L700. I found very few reasons to pick the L700 over the CRBN other than desire. Although, the other day I chose to play vinyl. In doing so, I chose to listen via the L700. This was truly pleasant. Perhaps, I can justify keeping them for listening to analog.
Comparing my modded L500s to the LCD-5 (both EQ'd), I still can't get over how good the L500s are (modded). Even when listening to a specific track on the LCD-5, I find myself sometimes reaching out to see how the L500 would do, and it just blows my mind, every single time.

They are truly both amazing, and both give very different results and allows you to experience any track very differently. I keep stressing on EQ and modding, because I think both headphones really shine that way — and also definitely caters to your hearing and your likings.

They are completely different beasts. Stax tried to explain it best, they are "earspeakers", and this is what it feels and sounds like to me. The LCD-5 is a completely different beast with a completely different sonic experience that I will probably always prefer for specific genres, and likewise, I would prefer the L500s for other genres. So I just can't seem to compare them.

And yes, Vinyl + Stax over anything else! :)

P.S. Sorry, I'm new here, I thought I was writing to the person who replied to me earlier. I don't even know how to delete this post.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #1,850 of 1,866
Comparing my modded L500s to the LCD-5 (both EQ'd), I still can't get over how good the L500s are (modded). Even when listening to a specific track on the LCD-5, I find myself sometimes reaching out to see how the L500 would do, and it just blows my mind, every single time.

They are truly both amazing, and both give very different results and allows you to experience any track very differently. I keep stressing on EQ and modding, because I think both headphones really shine that way — and also definitely caters to your hearing and your likings.

They are completely different beasts. Stax tried to explain it best, they are "earspeakers", and this is what it feels and sounds like to me. The LCD-5 is a completely different beast with a completely different sonic experience that I will probably always prefer for specific genres, and likewise, I would prefer the L500s for other genres. So I just can't seem to compare them.

P.S. Sorry, I'm new here, I thought I was writing to the person who replied to me earlier. I don't even know how to delete this post.
Have you tried L500 with L300 pads? It's basically L300 - with mind blowing transparency and ethereal highs. Bass sucks though...

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,851 of 1,866

I have the CRBN and L700 for a similiar contrast as your self. Most say the CRBN is a LCD-5 in estat form. I find myself listening to the CRBN 90% of the time, but nice to hear the L700 on occasion.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,852 of 1,866
I have the CRBN and L700 for a similiar contrast as your self. Most say the CRBN is a LCD-5 in estat form. I find myself listening to the CRBN 90% of the time, but nice to hear the L700 on occasion.

I go between the CRBN and the 007 a lot, swapped the pads on the 007 again this weekend to flats not angled like the official Stax pads. The L500 mk2 sounds like its in the same league for sure.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #1,853 of 1,866
Have you tried L500 with L300 pads? It's basically L300 - with mind blowing transparency and ethereal highs. Bass sucks though...
Never tried that, I actually swapped the L500 pads with the L700's, and feels better for me. I am not sure if it's placebo, but it might have made the bass sound a bit better too.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #1,854 of 1,866
Never tried that, I actually swapped the L500 pads with the L700's, and feels better for me. I am not sure if it's placebo, but it might have made the bass sound a bit better too.
Bass does sound better with L700 pads, but L300 pads make mids and treble otherworldly.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,856 of 1,866
I´ve had an SR-202 for a long time, which I like a lot, and I'm thinking about getting the L700MK2.

Since the L700MKII costs twice as much as the L500MK2, do you think it's worth the investment?
If L700MK2 sounds the same as L700 - I would stay away.
IMHO, L700 is warm/veiled sounding - tonality is too sweet, small soundstage, excellent bass. Boring sounding overall, would never guess in a blind test that this is an electrostatic headphone.

Buy L500MK2, and L300 and L700 pads - L300 pads will turn L500 into L300 (with incredibly transparent midrange, ethereal highs and plastic bass), and L700 pads will turn it into "L1000" - less transparent than L500, but still not as warm/veiled as L700, bass quality improves over L500, but still slightly below L700 level.

Or you can save even more money, and buy L300 with L500 and L700 pads - should result in the same SQ, but will save you some $ you can invest in the rest of sound chain.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #1,858 of 1,866
Since the L700MKII costs twice as much as the L500MK2, do you think it's worth the investment?

That is up to the individual. I decided to get the L500 mk2 and do the blu tac mod because some people swear its better then the L700 mk2 and I am going to guess that via pure sales volume its the least popular of the line, middle child syndrome lol. I could be wrong about that.

The L500mk2 to my ears is in the same league as the CRBN and the Stax 007 mk2. Once you get to this state of the game its the 80/20 problem.

Also I get why Audeze ships the Topping EAH5 with the CRBN, they pair very well together. I guess the higher voltage or whatever the Topping is doing adds an extra little something to the CRBN driver. Great paring.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #1,859 of 1,866
I seriously struggled to hear the difference between L500 and L700.

In my opinion, the L700 are more energetic, more exciting. L500 are a bit more mellow and even keel. But they are very, very similar. If price is no issue, L700 may be preferable depending on your music taste. At the same cost, and assuming I couldn't just sell the headphone for profit, I personally would probably go for L700 because I appreciate the extra excitement. But if money is of any matter at all, in my mind.... L500 all day every day. The price difference to sound difference ratio is abysmal IMO.

BTW, I have a technical question!

I own a old 006t amplifier, bought used in 2019. I haven't touched the tubes since. My setup has been untouched for a couple of months, but I did find some time just now to listen to the new Khruangbin singles. Anyways, when turning the volume knob on the amplifier, there is a static / crackling sound coming from the right channel on my headphones. I am wondering if this may be because of tubes approaching their end? When the volume knob is untouched, the sound is perfect.

EDIT: false alarm, just blew hard on the right driver and the issue went away. Dust most likely culprit.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #1,860 of 1,866
I´ve had an SR-202 for a long time, which I like a lot, and I'm thinking about getting the L700MK2.

I decided to go with the L500 mk2 personally. I haven't tried the L700 but I have a fair amount of head time with the L500 and really love the presentation of sound that they have. I do EQ them and I find that they take EQ really well. Bass is good enough for me with EQ only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back