The State of Radiohead's Union
Aug 6, 2003 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan...one of those fans that stood in line for an hour at the record store the night before "Hail to the Thief" was released just to buy the CD, even though I already had all the mastered mp3's on my computer. But I must say, I'm not sure it was worth my time. I was hoping that the tracks from HTTT would grow on me, but I find myself waiting for the album to be over each time I pop it in, with the exception of a few songs.

Now, this is very uncharacteristic for me, since OKC and *especially* Kid A sound completely fresh to me every time that I listen to them (and I've listened to each over a hundred times, I'm sure). But I'm finding myself thinking that Radiohead might be in the midst of a creative decline that began after Kid A was released.

Not that this matters in terms of how Radiohead's body of work (as a whole) should be viewed. Kid A is musical perfection; in my opinion there is no album that is as varied, yet sonically cohesive as this work, EVER. Each individual song is a work of art, and the transitions between them are masterful. This album alone should solidify Radiohead's place as one of the most creative and talented bands of the last 50 years.

Yet after Kid A, there music has started to sound worse and worse. Amnesiac had some excellent songs, such as "Pyramid Song," "Like Spinning Plates" and "Life in a Glasshouse." But ultimately, it sounds like the leftovers of "Kid A."

Now, with HTTT, I can't think of a single song that excites me the way that ANY song from OKC or Kid A does. There are a couple that I enjoy, like "Go to Sleep," "I Will" and "A Wolf at the Door." But their musical experimenation just doesn't seem as musical anymore.

So, my question for the Radiohead fan in this forum is: am I the only one that thinks this? I know there are many fans out there who think that OK Computer was Radiohead's peak, simply because Kid A was to "foreign" sounding (and not what the listener would expect Radiohead to sound like), which is simply ridiculous. So am I comparing HTTT to my own Radiohead nostalgia, or are Radiohead actually getting worse?

Oh, and for you Radiohead haters out there, I'll beat you to the punch and say that yes, Thome Yorke has become somewhat pretentious. Perhaps his music is being affected by this?

Any and all thoughts about Radiohead are appreciated.

Oh, and please vote for your favorite Radiohead album if you like.

~Jordan

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by GuineaMcPig
Hey everyone.

This album alone should solidify Radiohead's place as one of the most creative and talented bands of the last 50 years.

Try some of the electronica that Radiohead plundered: Autechre, Aphex Twin, the Black Dog, etc. Pretty much anything on Warp Records.

It might take some getting used to since there aren't any vocals or guitar, but if you dig Kid A, then you'll find a lot to like in that sort of music.

Warp Records

- Chris

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 104
Thanks for your recommendation, Chris...I've listened to Boards to Canada and Aphex twin and have been mildly impressed. I do enjoy IDM, though, and Bjork's "Homogenic" is one of my favorite albums.

I don't necessarily think that Thom Yorke using the same software as Richard D. James means that the former is "plundering" the latter, though (especially since "Idioteque" is the only song on the CD that sounds even vaguely reminiscient of Aphex Twin).

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 104
I'll second the Autechre and Aphex Twin recommendations.

I voted OK Computer, mainly because every piece of music on that CD fit together perfectly, and ranks as my most listened-to album. Kid A comes in very close behind, and I'm personally a fan of the experimentation even if it was a touch derivative at times (though not too bad). I like HTTT more than Amnesiac, but they're very close. The Bends still feels a touch too "poppy" for me, but is excellent. Fade Out is one of my favorites of theirs.

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 104
Haven't heard Bends enough to comment, but I think Hail is a significant step forward over Computer and Kid. Seem to be coming into their own. Kinda moving one step from pop/alt/whatever to something else... maybe art (or at least with it in mind)? Was never into them much, though Computer got quite a few spins here. I have to say I finally find Radiohead interesting, and my few attempts to go back to Computer and Kid, have failed. They seem kinda simplistic in comparison.

My recommendation- pick up Sonic Youth's Goodbye 20th Century 2 CD deal.

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

Thanks for your recommendation, Chris...I've listened to Boards to Canada and Aphex twin and have been mildly impressed. I do enjoy IDM, though, and Bjork's "Homogenic" is one of my favorite albums.

I don't necessarily think that Thom Yorke using the same software as Richard D. James means that the former is "plundering" the latter, though (especially since "Idioteque" is the only song on the CD that sounds even vaguely reminiscient of Aphex Twin).

Homogenic is good, aye. I think that was produced by Mark Bell of LFO? I don't remember.

If you think Thom Yorke isn't plundering, listen to some Autechre. Specifically the album "Tri Repetae" (conveniently available in the US as a double disc from Nothing Records!) .. Idioteque is an Autechre song with Yorke on vox
wink.gif

Nevertheless, I'm actually rather glad Radiohead took this step. I do feel he rather voraciously ripped off some IDM bands, but he introduced the public to what electronica can do, and I'm grateful for it. If there are more Autechre fans out there because they heard Kid A and wanted to explore that sound more, more power to them.

- Chris

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 104
Quote:

I think the so called "electronica" influences are more of a name dropping thing. To me, Thom Yorke sounds like a eunuch and I even hate their name: Radiohead.

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 104
I definitely agree that Kid A is simplistic...I like the term "minimalist," however. Every musical decision they made in those days seemed so calculated. Nowadays, I can't listen to "Sit Down. Stand Up." without shuddering. I mean, Thom has admitted that the "raindrops" lyrics are meaningless, and they do nothing for the song other than suggest that Radiohead's days of spending a year in the studio and poring over every detail are, at least for the time being, over.

And, to address the Warp Records suggestions:

Ok, so Radiohead's electronica is nowhere near as intricate as the IDM greats that you mentioned. But Radiohead makes up for these (minor) musical shortcomings with evocative lyrics and one of the most unique, euphonious voices in contemporary rock. I'll take "Ice age coming, ice age coming / Throw it on the fire, throw it on the fire" over "I would like some milk from the milkman's wife's ****" any day of the week.

Aphex Twin really DOES make me uncomfortable...especially the constant references to pedophilia ("How to Cure a Weakling child," "Come to Daddy," etc.). Beyond that, however, his musical message (in his later work, at least) is about as thought provoking as an obscene poem carved into a junior high toilet stall.

Also, strohmie, I really want to hear what exactly sounds *derivative* to you in Kid A. They copped Eno in one song and Autechre in another. Other than those two songs, Kid A doesn't sound like ANYONE other than themselves.

I'm sorry for being so defensive, but Kid A is what turned me on to quality, groundbreaking music (that and pitchforkmedia.com).

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 104
I don't really like HTTT that much either. I dunno. It just hasn't grown on me and I find myself enjoying Radiohead's old stuff while leaving my HTTT CD collecting dust. I like HTTT, I just don't feel like listening to it much. Hrm. It's sort of "gotten old" rather quick.

My favorite Radiohead CD is Kid A. OK Computer is great, but the Bends and Kid A are better. One could call the Bends perfection in that every single song is awesome, but I think Kid A flows the best and I find myself never getting tired of listening to it all the way through. I'm a big fan of albums you can do that with. When you start getting tired of listening to an album 3/4 the way through, it's too long. Not that the Bends is too long.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both the Bends and Kid A are at the very top of my favorite album list (if I were to make such a thing).

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 104
Quote:

And, to address the Warp Records suggestions:

Ok, so Radiohead's electronica is nowhere near as intricate as the IDM greats that you mentioned. But Radiohead makes up for these (minor) musical shortcomings with evocative lyrics and one of the most unique, euphonious voices in contemporary rock. I'll take "Ice age coming, ice age coming / Throw it on the fire, throw it on the fire" over "I would like some milk from the milkman's wife's ****" any day of the week.

*nod* Perfectly understandable, but that's where we differ. Lyrics don't do anything for me at all anymore - I have to struggle (like, very carefully, consciously think) to decipher what the words in a given recording mean. Not because I'm too stupid to understand them, but because I no longer focus on them other than as yet another aural component in music. So that's why I prefer Autechre to Radiohead; they ditch the lyrical greatness and instead, IMO, express emotion, poetry, and complexity in the depth, range, and arrangement of the sounds they use.

Quote:

Aphex Twin really DOES make me uncomfortable...especially the constant references to pedophilia ("How to Cure a Weakling child," "Come to Daddy," etc.). Beyond that, however, his musical message (in his later work, at least) is about as thought provoking as an obscene poem carved into a junior high toilet stall.

*laughs* I know what you mean, but .. kind of missing the point, in a way, I guess. Aphex Twin shouldn't be taken seriously. (edit: oh, and... I could argue for a long time about the artistic merit of post-modern junior-high-toilet-stall-humor being created intentionally and knowingly, but that's for another day
wink.gif
)

If you want to hear Aphex Twin making beautiful music, though, with none of the tongue-in-cheek business, get Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 (preferably the one on Warp; has an extra track over the domestic on Sire); truly one of the most gorgeous albums ever created, IMO, and absolutely essential.

(another edit: I hope I don't come across as condescending or dismissive, because I'm honestly not intending to sound that way. I find this a very interesting discussion.)

- Chris

Aug 6, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 104
I think I see where you're coming from now, Chris. Lyrics and vocals are a very important part of music for me, but I do understand that emotion can come from melody, chord progression, dynamics, etc. Opera vs. symphony, perhaps?

I'm also a big fan of Sigur Ros, and while Birgisson's lyrics might only make sense to himself, his voice is absolutely essential to the sound of the band.

To penvzila: Thom Yorke's voice might be an acquired taste that many people will never acquire (I've never liked Billy Corgan's voice, but I have a lot of friends who are devout Pumpkins fans). For me, though, vocals don't get much better than the climax of OKC's "Exit Music." It still raises the hairs on my neck every time I hear it.

Thanks to everyone so far for voicing your opinions!

Aug 6, 2003 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 104
How come Pablo Honey isn`t even on the list?

That one and The Bends are still my favorites. There are some exceptional songs on Kid A and Amnesiac, but also quite a few of those that just don`t do it for me and cause no reaction except for making me wanna skip `em. Which I usually do.

HTTT came as a refreshment, with more melodic and drums`n`guitars oriented sound. I am familiar with OK Computer, but don`t have it in my collection yet. Loved it while I had it in my player.

Everything IMO, of course.

Aug 6, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 104
Quote:

For me, though, vocals don't get much better than the climax of OKC's "Exit Music." It still raises the hairs on my neck every time I hear it.

Ditto. If ever there was a song that deserved to have a movie created just so it could be the appropriate closing song, Exit Music is it. It's quite high up there on my list of favorite Radiohead tracks.

Aug 6, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 104
Well lets start by saying that in general RH are overrated in the grand scheme of things, but you have to admire how much press/publicity they can generate with little effort, and without overtly selling out. They have maintained the appearance of true artists, who do things thier way.

I am also fascinated by how feverently RH fanboys hype the mediocre/average electronica albums Kid A & Amnesiac, but you do have to give them some credit for trying different styles.

Here is my ranking of RH albums in 1-10 scale:

Pablo Honey - 8.5
easily most underrated album, wonder if people even listened to it
before slagging it, "creep" is great track, shoegaze fans should definitely get this.

Bends - 9.5
very nearly perfect, RH start to carve out own unique identity.

OK Computer - 9.5
toss up between OK/Bends, refines the Bends formula a bit more and represents RH creative peak.

EPs from Bends/OK - 9
two EPs from these albums together would almost make best RH album, great non album tracks.

Kid A - 6.5
Did band just discover Eno ambient Cds, fanboys will say it's great just need repeated listening to get it, yea right.

Amnesiac - 5
Are these the outtakes from Kid A, he he. A trip further down the spiral to mediocraty.

HTTT - 7.5
A comeback of sorts, still a long way to go to equal any of thier prime albums though.

Aug 6, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 104
the bends, ok computer, and kid a are for lack of a better word: perfect. if anybody says "yeah, except fitter happier" they haven't ever actually listened to the track. amnesiac was my favorite album. why is that? "pyramid song" was my favorite song of all time and just something about it makes me love it. whether or not it "flows as an album" is debatable, but when i first heard it i was totally struck and listened to it about ten times a day for months.

oh well, too bad i can't even bare to listen to them anymore. the political ******** which encompasses the theme of the entirety of hail to the thief is so upsetting. they sold out (pun intended) madison square garden for two nights in a row. that's over 100,000 tickets or something. oh well. i hope the fratheads enjoy their live show.

radiohead broke my heart. oh well. at least there's still modest mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back