The Soundstage Head Club
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #136 of 439
nah get a little cheapo Schiit Modi, 100$ for a decent dac should b good! 
I kind of want the ODAC... I'm building the O2 ATM!

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #137 of 439
[name="gopanthersgo1" url="/t/593365/the-soundstage-head-club/135#post_9191779"]
I kind of want the ODAC... I'm building the O2 ATM![/quote] Nice

Ill b getting my odac Monday :3

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #138 of 439
[name="gopanthersgo1" url="/t/593365/the-soundstage-head-club/135#post_9191779"]
I kind of want the ODAC... I'm building the O2 ATM![/quote] Nice

Ill b getting my odac Monday :3

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #139 of 439
I just posted a review of a new amp called the iCAN that has a very effective soundstage enhancement feature that you can turn on and off:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #140 of 439
Quote:
I just posted a review of a new amp called the iCAN that has a very effective soundstage enhancement feature that you can turn on and off:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

That's interesting, but I don't see any explanations as to how it works, and how it differs from a DSP.  Especially since they say "...with the 3D HolographicSound system, we created a truly high-end 3D sound field without the use of any sound-damaging DSP# whatsoever."

So it is some kind of more advanced crossfeeding, or what?

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #141 of 439
Quote:

That's interesting, but I don't see any explanations as to how it works, and how it differs from a DSP.  Especially since they say "...with the 3D HolographicSound system, we created a truly high-end 3D sound field without the use of any sound-damaging DSP# whatsoever."

So it is some kind of more advanced crossfeeding, or what?

Good question! But I have no idea how they did it, and my guess is they might not want to tell anyone, so it can't be copied. The "one dot" setting sounds like a typical crossfeed, but there is something else going on with the "three dot" setting, that is different from any crossfeed I have ever heard. It does sound like a fairly natural DSP for expanding the spaciousness of the sound, but as they say it is not done digitally.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #142 of 439
Hey Soundstage heads, so my Odac paired with my 12ua7 RCA clear Top tube gives me a good increase in sound stage! Most notably on my Mad Dogs

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #143 of 439
Hey guys!
I just bought some MDR 1rs and while they do sound great compared to closed cans, they might get owned by open cans in the same price range. I'm still keeping them of course because I like the sound and the portability and whatnot, but am in the market for an open can.

My search has led me between 3 cans:
Sony MDR MA900
Sennheiser HD598
fidelio x1

Now most people say that the ma900s own the hd598s in every way, but I just wanted to be sure. I won't be amping these, which is why I didn't add things like DT880/990, or Q701.

Note: I'm not a basshead but I like to have a little more puch then what you headfiers call neutral.

Since I would probably use the 1rs for hip hop, I was wondering how well these open cans would do with vocal and instrumental based genres, like r&b, rock, jrock/pop, and classical.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #144 of 439
Quote:
Hey guys!
I just bought some MDR 1rs and while they do sound great compared to closed cans, they might get owned by open cans in the same price range. I'm still keeping them of course because I like the sound and the portability and whatnot, but am in the market for an open can.

My search has led me between 3 cans:
Sony MDR MA900
Sennheiser HD598
fidelio x1

Now most people say that the ma900s own the hd598s in every way, but I just wanted to be sure. I won't be amping these, which is why I didn't add things like DT880/990, or Q701.

Note: I'm not a basshead but I like to have a little more puch then what you headfiers call neutral.

Since I would probably use the 1rs for hip hop, I was wondering how well these open cans would do with vocal and instrumental based genres, like r&b, rock, jrock/pop, and classical.

Thanks!

Those are all three very nice headphones.

The HD598s have a great soundstage, but there bass is pretty neutral. 
The other two have moar bass, so you'd probably want to look into those more.

MA900s are pretty nicely priced I guess, while the X1s are more expensive, and I think compete more with the HD6x0 and such.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #145 of 439
They don't have to be super analytical or anything, but i'd also like to add the Grado sr225i and sr325i.  I liked the sr80i, it's just that they had a poor soundstage for an open can. I will use them for gaming so soundstage is just so important, but i'd rather not pay $200 more dollars for a barely noticeable upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #148 of 439
Quote:
Hmmm... looks like I'll have to look into getting me a pair. What have you pair up with the w1000x?

indeeed, I currently have an odac as well as an INdeed g3 with a Clear Top RCA 12ua7a tube [basically a Lean Amp and a Lean DAC] 

Getting Coaxial Digital cables as well as an Solid State with 3 opamps Friday. That should be a better pairing as the INdeed G3 while powerful, lacks the gain control the w1000x needs[  since it's a low impedance can]

I also used a THICK hybrid tube for a while. I seem to change back and forth depending on my mood. Sometimes I want the initmate mids, some times I want those mids pucnhier with a little bigger sound stage. But these scale with the amp so again a good Dac and a good LEAN amp. [YThe clear top tube has a nice sound sig as well, great for adding sound stage] 

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #149 of 439
Add the HiFiMAN HE-400 and RE-400. Both have spectacular soundstage, better, wider, and more accurate than my A900 that's on the list.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #150 of 439
Quote:
Add the HiFiMAN HE-400 and RE-400. Both have spectacular soundstage, better, wider, and more accurate than my A900 that's on the list.

The A900(x) are listed under the "closed" section.  Open headphones will usually have the advantage in soundstage over closed.

The HE-400 are pretty decent though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back