"The sound will improve with the display turned off"?
Jan 8, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Did you notice any inaudible diffferences?

See ya
Steve

Well, it did get more analogue like
icon10.gif
, since I had zero track information displayed and on the CDP-X3000ES I could even look at the CD spinning through its acrylic cover...

Bruno

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 25
Yamaha's HT receiver will automatically dim their display once "Direct Stereo" mode is selected.

I am surprised that not more of you listen to your systems with your eyes closed, in a darkened room, and during late night hours (less ambient noise and cleaner power from the wall).

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 25
On my rega planet 2000 there is indeed a small but noticable difference with the display out. Sound gets a little bit cleaner. I use a primare A30 amp and dynaudio 122 speakers, the whole set has a spatial and detailed sound (except for the rega itself that is :wink: ) and I doubt if it's very audible on less refined sets.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 25
I tried this with with my Arcam and Meridian players, but didn't notice a difference. Perhaps turning off the display and by-passing/defeating the circuit are two possible implementations of the Display Off function: the latter may have an audible effect, the former may not.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 25
The effect for me was more psychological than an actual sonic improvement. I am really annoyed by digital displays on most items, so the option is more out of convience than anything in my opinion.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 25
If someone would shine a flashlight in your face you would get a headache and it would not be possible to focus on the music, which would make it sound worse. With the display turned off not as much light will reach your eyes.

Edit: The way you feel also affects how the music sounds like.
If you sniff cleaning fluids the music will sound cleaner and more transparent, like with CD cleaners.
If you jump up and down and then listen to music it will sound more bassy because your heart beat is faster, like when moving up and down from the chair to change interconnects or something. A/B-ing has never been effective to me, how I detect all differences is with long-term listening and memory.

The best way to do a real rest is to listen exactly the same way in the same listening conditions, and with the same breathing rhythm. Double blind test just doesn't work because all variables are never the same.

I believe the display turned off really makes a difference to the sound but it's such a small difference to detect it with the human ears.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 25
While I don't have the manuals next to me to quote from, both my Alpine head unit in my car and my Pioneer DV-59AVi have a similar function. If memory serves me, both refered to this as a way of shutting down the circuitry. This would imply to me that the expected benefit comes from the circuitry running the display being turned off rather than the display itself (or perhaps both). With the Pioneer DVD player, this "Pure Audio" function supposedly shuts down not just the display circuit, but all the video circuits as well. I can see why this could help, but I've never done an A/B to compare. With the Alpine, even if it helps, I would never notice such a minor difference in such a noisy environment.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 25
I have a Phillips DVD/SACD/CD player and it has the ability to shut off the video circuitry when playing CDs. It doesn't make a lick of difference. They can say that they are providing a dimmer to improve the sound, but that doesn't mean it actually does.

See ya
Steve

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 25
I have a Naim cd5i and I cant hear any difference when I turn off the display. Even when the display is off, the Naim logo is lit up like a lightbulb just below the display so Im quite confused about the intentions here.

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 25
The builder of my modded Denon 2900 said that there is a noticeable improvement is sound when the display is turned off. After comparing the sound over and over again, with the display ulternately turned on and off, I never heard any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back