"The sound will improve with the display turned off"?
Jan 7, 2006 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. The manual to my Arcam CD73 states of the display: "there is generally a slight improvement in sound quality with the display turned off." Why would this be? Is this even true? I don't notice a difference.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 25
its all crap.My panasonic universal player also has it in the manual.Infact,i tried to hear a difference just last night ! I had my cmoy attached to the players line out with the music paused and the volume at full ,so that i can hear noise.There was no change in the noise whatsoever.

but i do put the LED front display while watching movies though.I
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 25
Well I've always considered the idea more philosophical in a way. You dim the display, and if your equipment rack is in front of you (which most are) you won't be distracted by changing numbers and it allows you to focus on the sound.

I personally listen to music with my eyes closed anyway.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 25
Vacuum fluorescent displays generate RFI, just like regular fluorescent lights do. By turning off the display, you reduce the amount of RFI inside the player, potentially improving sound quality by a minor amount.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 25
Well, slight.
biggrin.gif

I usually turn my displays off if I can just to avoid the distraction, but never bothered to listen in critically whether it would actually make a difference. I guess I would have to swap my AC-cables first
wink.gif
sadly that's ranking quite low on the list right now.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 25
I guess it's theoretically possible, but I wouldn't expect it to cause any sort of "subtle" change if it did happen. It would generate increased noise, plain and simple. Rio Karmas were a lot noisier when the backlights were on, although that is an apples to oranges comparison.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 25
My stereo sounds better if I close my eyes.

See ya
Steve

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 25
I never noticed audible differences when I turned off the display on my Sony CDP-X3000ES or SCD-1. It is nice to have that option for darker moments, though
tongue.gif

Bruno

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrett
Lol, thanks for posting this obscure question.
biggrin.gif

Says the same in my cd72t manual, didn't care enough to gather comments on it.

Hey jarrett, how do you clear a program on these Arcam CD players? Once I make a program, there is no way to clear it and create another one unless I turn it off or open and close the drawer. Is there any other way?

Jan 8, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
That's nothing. My TV looks better when I close my eyes. . .

icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunobiseu
I never noticed audible differences when I turned off the display on my Sony CDP-X3000ES or SCD-1.

Did you notice any inaudible diffferences?

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back