The Sound Signature Of Silver
Jul 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

............... Frank recommends 50 hours of burn in on them, but I'll be able to post some impressions soon.

burn-in on cables? hmmm....

I wonder if I should tell the power companies to burn in their power cables before they install them on houses. that would probably give me better sound on all my equipment......
smily_headphones1.gif

cable material - yes
cable topology - check
cable gauge - of course

cable burn-in - NO

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when were the evil smilies fixed?

confused.gif

EK

They're not fixed....some people just have special privileges....
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CABLES ALL SOUND THE SAME!!! The only scientific reason why it could sound better is called the placebo effect.

I used to be a skeptic, but different cables do sound different believe it or not, its just that the difference between cables from my experience isn't really big at all. You either need good ears, or a good rig to notice the difference between cables.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All wires that are properly constructed are neutral and have a full range sound. No wire has life and emotion. If that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest a dog.

See ya
Steve

Dogs happen to have much better hearing then you have, probably why they hear differences in cables much easier then you do. I suggest let the dog out and try for yourself.
biggrin.gif

Also, dogs can sniff out the better cables much easier...

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, dogs can sniff out the better cables much easier...

isn't that the cat's job?
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't that the cat's job?
biggrin.gif

On head-fi, there's only one famous cat doing cable research. Or better, ruening the cable.
biggrin.gif
He found out that cables were not the same, especially in build quality. It was quite fishy, hence the cat was pulled to it and had to investigate.

On a more serious note:

This what i found out during cable tests with different core material, plugs and insulation.

Silver sounds softer then copper in general and has extended highs, as in i can hear more at the top end with silver core then with copper core.

Also plugs used are very important, and insulation material.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dogs happen to have much better hearing then you have, probably why they hear differences in cables much easier then you do. I suggest let the dog out and try for yourself.

The dog can buy his own friggin' stereo!

See ya
Steve

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #38 of 64
i heard plenty of sq improvement when i recabled my hd600 and hd650 with silver-plated copper wires.
i've been using a lod made with the same spc wires for my ipod. curious about the sq change in silver wires, i bought a lod made with solid silver wire sleeved by silk.
i did not hear any difference between spc lod and pure silver lod.
so... i am confused.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #40 of 64
I have the ability to tell the differences between cables
No I am not born with golden ears
But what I do have is a KT88 amplifier with different .6 standard inputs
And I have a Jolida JD100A with 2 .6 outputs

What this provides me with, is direct a/b comparison without having to adjust volume levels and without having to make my judgments without basing the decisions upon faded memories

Now, sound signatures of "Silver"
Like all things, Silver is a metal than can be designed & manipulated to achieve different results.

In "most" cases that I can percieve and with most cables, is that you have to "give up" something for another
In silver, this usually comes to the fact that its an expensive material and low guage runs are made with them. This results in: incredible amounts of high frequency details without enough current to drive the bottom end.

The signature of Silver to me, is that its an incredibly conductive material, which has less tonal coloration than most materials and is less subjected to oxidation than copper.

With the right "ratio" of runs, such as multiple runs, braided appropriately of the correct gauge, you CAN retain the airy top extension with the proper mid and low end extensions.

Presently @ home I have 4 sets of cables:
Eichmann eXpress 6 series 2
Coincident IC
Moray James
Decware/MAC Silver ICs

Of the four above, are very capable cables, which all perform incredibly well with just variations of different "flavors" of sound

Of the four above, the Decware/MAC Silvers are the best focus'd and detailed cables and does not have any less dynamics than any other cable

However, this is where the downside of "Silver" falls into place.
We live in a Digital world, and thusly we are subjected to often poor recordings which processed through a DAC results in potentially ear grating sibilant fatigue.

On a well recorded album, such as a Kaki King or well mastered orchestration of the Boston Pops... The Silver cables are basically one of the "best" I've ever heard

The dynamics are well extended, yet not exaggerated
The level of details add to the airness and imaging, providing more focus (like a super tweeter)

On a poorly recorded Smiths live album, the results are horrific. It's like taking a cheese grater to your ear drum throughout the entire listening session.

Silver and well resolved copper ICs will produce grain out of poorly recorded software and unrefined equipment.

"luckyily"
I on the other hand have the option to run 2 sets of RCAs, so I will be ordering a set of cables from MAC and will keep my Moray James as those cables take my digital sound and warms them up beautifully to a "vinyl" like sound.

Cheers!

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #41 of 64
Ok, so what about silver coax for digital vs. copper? Who's got an opinion either way on sound comparison? I feel like there IS a difference (although I've used a silver for a long time, and haven't tried a copper one in ages), but I still can't wrap my head around HOW it would sound different...I mean, it's just an electrical connection feeding a DAC 1s and 0s, right? I"m convinced that proper build, shielding, connectors, and true 75 ohm impedance is more important, but given an exact same cable with the only difference being conductor metal, what would you hear between the two? Or...nothing at all?

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so what about silver coax for digital vs. copper? Who's got an opinion either way on sound comparison? I feel like there IS a difference (although I've used a silver for a long time, and haven't tried a copper one in ages), but I still can't wrap my head around HOW it would sound different...I mean, it's just an electrical connection feeding a DAC 1s and 0s, right? I"m convinced that proper build, shielding, connectors, and true 75 ohm impedance is more important, but given an exact same cable with the only difference being conductor metal, what would you hear between the two? Or...nothing at all?

I think like anything, less deg ration the better, and yes bits can be lost, which requires the DAC to fill in via sampling

However, I'm still trying to figure out myself what the differences are between digital and analog cables, asides that the digital one is just one rca

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #43 of 64
Silver digital interconnects can not make the sound warmer or brighter and I believe there are ways to tell if you are losing bits with any connection and any cable. If you aren't then the material or cable is not contributing to the sound quality.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #44 of 64
If you can't hear any difference between cables then your hearing doesn't allow you to hear it. And that's fine, it's nothing to be bitter about.

If you think cables, including power cords, don't go through a break-in process - that is audible - then you haven't done any research on the topic and again the hearing (it's ok if you can't hear it, no biggie. In fact, be glad that you can't as you don't have to spend the money on this expensive stuff like I do).

I've always wanted to like the sound of silver (I've owned several silver interconnects and other cabling) but I have never been able to like it. Silver always comes across as a bit thinner to me and "white" or "washed" in tone.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
makes me want to feel like a teenager...

...until you remember the feelings of a real live emotional teenager.

(glad I'm not the only one who thought of this when I saw the thread title.)
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back