The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
May 9, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,881 of 3,003
The only purpose is that I have wireless devices that I want to listen on LDAC, but can only be changed using an android device. Kinda lame, but that’s what I need to work with

May 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #2,882 of 3,003
The only purpose is that I have wireless devices that I want to listen on LDAC, but can only be changed using an android device. Kinda lame, but that’s what I need to work with
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I've been looking for an MX3 but they're difficult to find here in Ireland. I'm more interested in a device I can take out and about on walks etc. I have an original Fiio X3 which overshadows the A105 in so many ways except for connectivity, despite its age. I might dust it off and make it my regular device for a while.

May 14, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #2,883 of 3,003
I got the Final Fantasy 7 remake of this. Pretty neat design and welp, now I have my way to swap between LDAC and AAC

May 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #2,884 of 3,003
There are wireless charging pads with adhesive to stick on the back of it if needed (see super reviews video on YouTube on his mods towards A105).

Speaking of tricks to make it bearable (at least battery) - have any of you users tried the heavy debloating as suggested from Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/co...life/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share ). They claim you could get up to 20h of playback with that tricks!

Also - any users of A series with UM Mest OG/MK 2 to tell how this pair works together (any lack of power felt)?
Just finished trialling my a100 after getting rid of bloatware apps by following the Reddit link above.

My battery life has improved significantly. Averaging about 4% loss per hour using Sony app to play flac files to wired headphones with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off, and 14% loss per hour playing same to Bluetooth headphones with Wi-Fi off. Equates to 25 hours for wired and 7.5 hours for Bluetooth.

Will look at playing downloaded Apple Music lossless files later, but again I’m expecting improvements in battery life.

May 18, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #2,885 of 3,003
Just finished trialling my a100 after getting rid of bloatware apps by following the Reddit link above.

My battery life has improved significantly. Averaging about 4% loss per hour using Sony app to play flac files to wired headphones with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off, and 14% loss per hour playing same to Bluetooth headphones with Wi-Fi off. Equates to 25 hours for wired and 7.5 hours for Bluetooth.

Will look at playing downloaded Apple Music lossless files later, but again I’m expecting improvements in battery life.
25h seem nice, what about standby drain? Or do you shut down the device when not in use?

May 18, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #2,886 of 3,003

I wasn’t able to get rid of the bloatware apps. Something missing perhaps?

May 19, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,887 of 3,003
I got NW-A105 lately. Great device, only complaint is the battery life could be better.

I have a question about aptX HD connection. I have enabled it in developer settings. But all my aptX HD devices default to 44.1kHz instead of 48kHz. Is this a limitation of NW-A105/Android? I know that human ear can’t hear it etc (…) but I’d like to get 48kHz out as it should be possible.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,888 of 3,003
25h seem nice, what about standby drain? Or do you shut down the device when not in use?
Standby drain with wi-fi and bluetooth has been minimal with only 1-2% overnight since removing the bloatware, but I generally power down when not in use.

Only problem now is the improved battery life makes me more likely to take the dap with me for travels, which means more likelihood of misplacing it

May 24, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #2,889 of 3,003
I’ve bought the a105 to use on daily walks as it’s a small player. I’ve got tired of lugging the hiby r8 about. I know this player has limited power so I’m wondering what would be good iems or headphones for daily walking. I don’t want to spend over £300

May 24, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,891 of 3,003
I’ve bought the a105 to use on daily walks as it’s a small player. I’ve got tired of lugging the hiby r8 about. I know this player has limited power so I’m wondering what would be good iems or headphones for daily walking. I don’t want to spend over £300

I use the XBA-N3 with mine; they are supported by the Sony headphone app also (if that matters to you). No ear-hooks, which I like, but you may want them for walking...

Sort-of like a mini ZX and Z1R... :wink:

May 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #2,892 of 3,003
How does the 105 compare with the Shanling M3X, anyone used both?
I've tried both.They both sound very good.

What I liked about the A105 is that the DSP is system-wide, whereas on the M3X you are limited to what each individual app implements. If the app has no EQ, then no EQ for you!

Although Shanling hacked Android to side-step the 48khz limitation, many apps will still canonicalise the PCM stream to 44.1khz or 48khz to do their DSP, which may lead to unwanted downsampling. Hiby Music and Fiio Music both do the right thing on the M3X though.

Sadly I returned the A105 because of the appalling battery life (this was before everyone figured out how to remove all the bloatware). Only about 4 hours decoding 192kb/s Ogg Vorbis (and I had to install an app to be able to even play Vorbis -- the Sony app doesn't support it).

Battery life on the M3X is amazing, but that's kind of expected, as it's much bigger. It's almost too big to pocket, much thicker than you'd expect.

The Shanling app doesn't do gapless playback (you will have to install another app) and it also merges albums by different artists of the same name. Shanling know about these problems, and I have my fingers crossed that they will fix them.

The M3X doesn't support buttons on the cabled headphones.

The M3X can be a bluetooth reciever, but the NW-A105 cannot.

So it's a mixed bag.

May 24, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,893 of 3,003
I've tried both.They both sound very good.

What I liked about the A105 is that the DSP is system-wide, whereas on the M3X you are limited to what each individual app implements. If the app has no EQ, then no EQ for you!

Although Shanling hacked Android to side-step the 48khz limitation, many apps will still canonicalise the PCM stream to 44.1khz or 48khz to do their DSP, which may lead to unwanted downsampling. Hiby Music and Fiio Music both do the right thing on the M3X though.

Sadly I returned the A105 because of the appalling battery life (this was before everyone figured out how to remove all the bloatware). Only about 4 hours decoding 192kb/s Ogg Vorbis (and I had to install an app to be able to even play Vorbis -- the Sony app doesn't support it).

Battery life on the M3X is amazing, but that's kind of expected, as it's much bigger. It's almost too big to pocket, much thicker than you'd expect.

The Shanling app doesn't do gapless playback (you will have to install another app) and it also merges albums by different artists of the same name. Shanling know about these problems, and I have my fingers crossed that they will fix them.

The M3X doesn't support buttons on the cabled headphones.

The M3X can be a bluetooth reciever, but the NW-A105 cannot.

So it's a mixed bag.
Ok great thanks for this, I still enjoy my a105, yeah the battery life isn't great, but I can bring a battery pack with me if it's low, works great with both Spotify and Tidal Hifi, I have a lot of my library on Plex which is great with plexamp installed

May 24, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,894 of 3,003
I still can’t remove the bloatware after following the Reddit instructions. Everything went as it was supposed to. It users that I the user didn’t permit the apps to be removed which isn’t true. But if there is a way to change that? Should I check the specific error?

May 24, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,895 of 3,003
Xelento if you like warm and bassy. They're easy to drive with A105, light and comfortable to walk around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back