The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
May 23, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #2,581 of 3,003
Asking questions about whether you can use this DAP as a video device.... No, look elsewhere. This device can barely last a few hours playing high res music, it's not going to be appropriate for watching movies and doing HDMI output.

thats not what was asked .... Fwiw I had lg v20 before and it had a usb pd which could output usb to hdmi and you can simul charge using a simple passthrough dock while outputting to hdmi. I was just wondering if the walkman usb port can do that as well if needed just in case just like the other person asked..

May 25, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,582 of 3,003
I'm currently using the Sony NW-A105 (European version) with my Campfire audio Comets (48 Ohm, 97 dB sensitvity) and this works like a charm.
I really love this combo.
The Sony brings out the soundstage that my Hiby R3 couldn't
I'm mostly running 100-110 (of 120) volume wise, but it's certainly loud enough.

I also own a pair of Sennheiser Momentum on ears and they run at the same levels.

For my Fiio FH3 run however I only have to set the volume at +/-75 for normal listening.

So to all who fear the lack of power, don't be if your driving efficient IEMS.

The streaming options and sound quality are great.
Far better than my Hiby R3 (wich only had a rudimental Tidal option).

Really enjoying this unit.
Battery life is OK (it gets me through my work day, no problem)

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,583 of 3,003
I'm currently using the Sony NW-A105 (European version) with my Campfire audio Comets (48 Ohm, 97 dB sensitvity) and this works like a charm.
I really love this combo.
The Sony brings out the soundstage that my Hiby R3 couldn't
I'm mostly running 100-110 (of 120) volume wise, but it's certainly loud enough.

I also own a pair of Sennheiser Momentum on ears and they run at the same levels.

For my Fiio FH3 run however I only have to set the volume at +/-75 for normal listening.

So to all who fear the lack of power, don't be if your driving efficient IEMS.

The streaming options and sound quality are great.
Far better than my Hiby R3 (wich only had a rudimental Tidal option).

Really enjoying this unit.
Battery life is OK (it gets me through my work day, no problem)
Nice portable set up.

May 26, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,585 of 3,003
Hi. I’m really late to all this, but is there a Mr Walkman mod for this model?
I’ve read such mods improve SQ.
I don’t intend to steam with it, and would use Sony music player. thanks
Those mods (e.g. Rockbox, Mr.Walkman) are not available for Android OS-based Sony walkmans.

May 26, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #2,586 of 3,003
Any folks using headphones like M&D MH40, Sennheiser Momentum on and over ears / Urbanite on ears, Thinksound On1, Vmoda LP2 with the A-105? Do they sound as good as with IEMs, or do you feel less power?

I read a post saying there is no line out. Does increasing the volume and connecting to an amp give a good sound?

May 27, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #2,587 of 3,003
thats not what was asked .... Fwiw I had lg v20 before and it had a usb pd which could output usb to hdmi and you can simul charge using a simple passthrough dock while outputting to hdmi. I was just wondering if the walkman usb port can do that as well if needed just in case just like the other person asked..
It might not be what was asked, but it's the best advice lol.

I only imagine the world of pain in for the person trying to use this DAP for video out...

**** it, go ahead.. enjoy your 25 mins of batt life

May 27, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2,588 of 3,003
Hi. I’m really late to all this, but is there a Mr Walkman mod for this model?
I’ve read such mods improve SQ.
I don’t intend to steam with it, and would use Sony music player. thanks

As poster above said - firmware mods only work with non-Android Walkmans.
If you aren't streaming, consider getting the A55 which is essentially the non-Android version of this Walkman which would take the Mr Walkman mods.

May 27, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,589 of 3,003
Any folks using headphones like M&D MH40, Sennheiser Momentum on and over ears / Urbanite on ears, Thinksound On1, Vmoda LP2 with the A-105? Do they sound as good as with IEMs, or do you feel less power?

I read a post saying there is no line out. Does increasing the volume and connecting to an amp give a good sound?
I'm using the A105 with Momentum On ears regularly.
This sound perfect to me. I actually get a better sound than with my other more powerfull dacs.

The Momentums don't require alot of juice to sound good though.

Furthermore I like the Sony better with the momentums as the Sony isn't as bass heavey as my Fio or Hiby dac/daps.
(wich was sometimes overkill with the allready warm sounding Momentums).

May 27, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,590 of 3,003
It might not be what was asked, but it's the best advice lol.

I only imagine the world of pain in for the person trying to use this DAP for video out...

**** it, go ahead.. enjoy your 25 mins of batt life

ugh man , ofc its batterly life is bad but like i said devices with ports that support power deliverycan both charge and output hdmi simultaneously so battery isnt an issue . My v20 could do that but my current phone cant so was wondering if walkman can would be good for sometimes when I travel to us eit to output video. Thats why I was curious ! I dont have the cable myself else I would have tried...

May 28, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,591 of 3,003
I rotated an online .gif here which you can convert to live wallpaper using the Gif Live Wallpaper app on the Walkman. If you move the app icons to another screen it always shows a generic tape playing. But I'd still really like to know if anyone has been able to get the Sony music tapes to work with Tidal, and if not, how we could.
Here is an awesome wallpaper for your 40th anniversary Walkmans! It’s a rolling Awesome Mix Vol. 1 from Guardians of the Galaxy gif that I resized for the screen! Use gif to live wallpaper app on your Walkman to set it as the live wallpaper.

Then when you listen to Tidal you’ve still got a rolling tape! Move your app icons onto another page and close the case and it will look clean just like the tape rolling screen in the Walkman app.

I’m rocking this right now with an original pair of MDR-7 headphones, which sound awesome :wink:

Cheers!

Attachments

• 35BA4B3A-E029-4953-A5F0-70F62F33C174.gif
    35BA4B3A-E029-4953-A5F0-70F62F33C174.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,592 of 3,003
Hi. I have a Sennheiser hd598. Can people here comment if the (clear audio +) on Sony A45/55 will make the hd598 more treble-oriented or more bass-oriented. Someone perhaps on this forum has commented that the clear audio + boosts treble as it is meant for cheap bass-heavy earphones. My biggest concern is that I don't want my hd 598 to start sounding sharper through the clear audio +. I like a warm and lush signature and I won't buy the Sony Walkman if the clear audio + is meant for enhancing treble or clarity. I want my hd598 to sound richer and warmer and I want to know if the clear audio + can make something like the hd598 warmer or sharper. I also want to ask based on people's experiences here whether the Sony A45/55 can drive the hd 598 comfortably or not.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,593 of 3,003
Shouldn’t having a usb dac attached reduce battery consumption because the Walkman isn’t processing it? I know everyone says battery is terrible, and it truly is. With my BTR-5 or Q3 connected via usb c it lasts as little as 4 hours playing dsd and high quality flac tracks. I ensured the dacs were not charging. No noise canceling etc. just playback. It’s a brand new player.

Does the “usb output for dsd” make a difference? What setting has better battery life, auto or dop? Such a confusing setting because neither processed or dsd is a listed output choice, just auto and dop. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,594 of 3,003
Shouldn’t having a usb dac attached reduce battery consumption because the Walkman isn’t processing it? I know everyone says battery is terrible, and it truly is. With my BTR-5 or Q3 connected via usb c it lasts as little as 4 hours playing dsd and high quality flac tracks. I ensured the dacs were not charging. No noise canceling etc. just playback. It’s a brand new player.
No - completely the opposite in fact.

Sony's S-Master chip is a power sipping highly efficient Class D amp which also does the conversion, most USB C DACs also have build in Class A amps which are much less efficient than Class D amps plus you are driving not one but two chips now (DAC chip and amp chip).

The Sony Walkmans are designed around very tiny batteries (~1200mAh) because their own S-Master chip is highly power efficient - most other players are putting in 3000mAh or bigger batteries. The Sony approach works extremely well when paired with a lightweight OS highly compact custom Linux build but falls apart when it is paired with bloatware that is a fully Play Store certified build of Android. But since users are asking for seamless streaming support that is the price they have to pay for.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,595 of 3,003
No - completely the opposite in fact.

Sony's S-Master chip is a power sipping highly efficient Class D amp which also does the conversion, most USB C DACs also have build in Class A amps which are much less efficient than Class D amps plus you are driving not one but two chips now (DAC chip and amp chip).

The Sony Walkmans are designed around very tiny batteries (~1200mAh) because their own S-Master chip is highly power efficient - most other players are putting in 3000mAh or bigger batteries. The Sony approach works extremely well when paired with a lightweight OS highly compact custom Linux build but falls apart when it is paired with bloatware that is a fully Play Store certified build of Android. But since users are asking for seamless streaming support that is the price they have to pay for.
Thanks for this great explanation. I’d rather just use Sony’s, but how can I use balanced IER-Z1Rs when there is only an unbalanced port unless I use the usb with a separate dac/amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back