The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,611 of 3,003
I am considering buying one of these (used). I am in the USA. Is it possible to buy one of the models sold in Japan and flash to a firmware version that will run in English? Thanks!

No need to flash. Just choose English as the language when setting up. The only difference will be the Mora music apps (Japan only) that you can easily disable.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,613 of 3,003
For those of us commuting, what uses less battery: powering and noise cancelling the IER-NW510N or Bluetooth broadcasting to the noise cancelling WF-1000XM4?

For the record, the former sound better while the latter needs to be cranked all the way up but are much better at noise cancelling. The Bowers & Wilkins PI7 get much louder but don’t do ldac and aren’t nearly as wizardly as the WF-1000XM4

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,614 of 3,003
I have noticed the A105 is currently on sale for $100 off at a few online dealers. I wonder if a new device is coming soon?

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,615 of 3,003
For those of us commuting, what uses less battery: powering and noise cancelling the IER-NW510N or Bluetooth broadcasting to the noise cancelling WF-1000XM4?

For the record, the former sound better while the latter needs to be cranked all the way up but are much better at noise cancelling. The Bowers & Wilkins PI7 get much louder but don’t do ldac and aren’t nearly as wizardly as the WF-1000XM4
I just took a round trip 6.5 hour Amtrak train trip (13hrs total) and thought I would test this since, for those of you not in the US, US Amtrak trains are embarrassing loud inside from poor insulation and ever-blasting refrigerator-grade air conditioning ducts.

Bluetooth to the WF-1000XM4 seems to drain faster, which surprised me since the Bluetooth iems should power themselves with their own battery right?

I also made a discovery. These IER-NW510N are so small they work better with upsizing the foam tips. So on my IER-Z1R—which didn’t isolate well enough to block out all the outside noise without maxing out the volume—I cannot secure a triple comfort tip larger than medium small to stay in my ear. Encompass doesn’t even recognize the IER-NW510N odel number so before my trip I ordered some black “OEM Sony Memory Foam” tips from eBay. I decided to see how much I could stuff into my ear and Large actually worked.

Wow do they sound isolate now! While the IER-NW510N cancel much less noise than the WM-1000XM4, with the more isolating tips it’s more than enough. The tips also changed the sound of these headphones and brought out much better bass. While my IER-Z1R seem to sound best on Relaxed EQ, vinyl processing, DC Phase Linearizer, and DSEE Ultimate with ClearAudio+ sounding atrocious; when they have the larger tips these IER-NW510N sound best and excellent on ClearAudio+. So much detail comes out.

I can’t find a review or specifications of these headphones anywhere, but they are great commuter phones with the Walkman, at the least and it would be fun to read. Anyone know of any?

Finally, how do you all maintain and repair your 40th anniversary cases? You can’t obtain more through encompass.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #2,616 of 3,003
I just took a round trip 6.5 hour Amtrak train trip (13hrs total) and thought I would test this since, for those of you not in the US, US Amtrak trains are embarrassing loud inside from poor insulation and ever-blasting refrigerator-grade air conditioning ducts.

Bluetooth to the WF-1000XM4 seems to drain faster, which surprised me since the Bluetooth iems should power themselves with their own battery right?

I also made a discovery. These IER-NW510N are so small they work better with upsizing the foam tips. So on my IER-Z1R—which didn’t isolate well enough to block out all the outside noise without maxing out the volume—I cannot secure a triple comfort tip larger than medium small to stay in my ear. Encompass doesn’t even recognize the IER-NW510N odel number so before my trip I ordered some black “OEM Sony Memory Foam” tips from eBay. I decided to see how much I could stuff into my ear and Large actually worked.

Wow do they sound isolate now! While the IER-NW510N cancel much less noise than the WM-1000XM4, with the more isolating tips it’s more than enough. The tips also changed the sound of these headphones and brought out much better bass. While my IER-Z1R seem to sound best on Relaxed EQ, vinyl processing, DC Phase Linearizer, and DSEE Ultimate with ClearAudio+ sounding atrocious; when they have the larger tips these IER-NW510N sound best and excellent on ClearAudio+. So much detail comes out.

I can’t find a review or specifications of these headphones anywhere, but they are great commuter phones with the Walkman, at the least and it would be fun to read. Anyone know of any?

Finally, how do you all maintain and repair your 40th anniversary cases? You can’t obtain more through encompass.
I have never used clear audio+ but after reading this thought I’d give it a try. My setup is NW-A105 to NX1s amp to KZ-ZX10 Pro listening using Apple Music. I’m actually quite taken back by how much wider the soundstage is with clear audio+ enabled. Very different sound, much more forward although bass is a little over emphasised. Listening with my feet up, vodka in hand and sun setting at the end of my garden. Bliss.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,617 of 3,003
I have never used clear audio+ but after reading this thought I’d give it a try. My setup is NW-A105 to NX1s amp to KZ-ZX10 Pro listening using Apple Music. I’m actually quite taken back by how much wider the soundstage is with clear audio+ enabled. Very different sound, much more forward although bass is a little over emphasised. Listening with my feet up, vodka in hand and sun setting at the end of my garden. Bliss.
Well said! I should qualify that I’m enjoying it listening to Ibeyi, which is new and all digitally recorded and really benefits from that emphasized bass. ClearAudio+ seems like a concave curve except I must admit that I had trouble with ClearAudio+ when listening to high quality old jazz recordings because the treble hurt my ears. It’s awesome with ibeyi though. So for me anyway having these awesome sound adjustments so nearby my genre selections is an ideal setup, beautiful, very satisfying

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,618 of 3,003
Nope. With Bluetooth you'd be powering on a Bluetooth transceiver to send out the radio waves, and the music has to be transcoded to the BT codec first which means more computing power being used.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #2,619 of 3,003
Sony A105 Walkman black £154.00 prime day deal. Mighty tempting at that price, but just not using daps atm.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,621 of 3,003
Arrived today and i realized that charge time is horrible and discharge even worst more than i expected.
Tomorrow I'm going to return it.
About the sound quality is a bit better compared my a45 (i use a etymotic er2xr as reference)
I've never timed it but charge time for me is very quick. I agree the battery life is the weakest aspect of this device. I do enjoy its versatility though. Maybe give it a chance before returning it.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,622 of 3,003
I've never timed it but charge time for me is very quick. I agree the battery life is the weakest aspect of this device. I do enjoy its versatility though. Maybe give it a chance before returning it.
Ah i forgot, the 3,5mm jack is a bit loose compared to other devices like my phone.
I notice this also in my a45 and to me it is a big negative.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,623 of 3,003
What do you use to charge it? I have mine hooked up to a 30w Apple usb c charger and it takes over four hours to fully charge. No quick charge to a decent battery amount either

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,624 of 3,003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back