The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Aug 10, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,296 of 3,003
I did not like M6 sound. Generally I'm not the fan of Fiio DAPs. Many times I meet unpleasant, sharp "Digital highs", even with smooth trebles IEMs.
As long as you don't plug any power demanding headphones Sony should be a good choice.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #2,297 of 3,003
The m6 win hands down. When I listen, I don't listen that long... for sure not 2 hours straight and I charge both players/dac/amps whenever I have the time so never run out of battery for both devices :smile_phones:
I did not like M6 sound. Generally I'm not the fan of Fiio DAPs. Many times I meet unpleasant, sharp "Digital highs", even with smooth trebles IEMs.
As long as you don't plug any power demanding headphones Sony should be a good choice.

Many thanks to you guys!

I am currently living here in EU. is there a way to remove the EU volume cap?

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #2,300 of 3,003
Extremely happy. I like it's sound and the 4.4mm jack is powerful.

That's good to hear. hip-dac was designed to be powerful and 4.4mm headphone out is a logic step these days :)

Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,302 of 3,003
This should also work for A105:

This just a small discovery on the ZX507 with firmware 2.01:

Android has a safe mode which disables all 3rd party apps. You can enable safe mode by holding down volume down button during restarting.

Walkman music app still works in this mode.

What I discovered is that the sound signature in safe mode is totally different vs normal mode.

Normal mode sounds more 3D-like and more distant Soundstage. There's a certain softness to the transients

In safe mode, it's more brighter sounding and more 2D in it's soundstage.

This is even if you run direct source mode.

What I think is there is more signal processing going on behind the scenes in the ZX507 than what we would imagine it to be doing. Meaning direct source mode isn't as "direct" as you think.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,303 of 3,003
Just compared the single ended output of the ZX507 against the ZX300 single ended and A105

ZX300 has the softest max output but is distortion free. The volume difference is not alot but noticable.

A100 and ZX507 both are equally as loud.

ZX507 on fw 1.x sounded the same as A105 on 1.x in terms of overall sound.

However it seems A105 has amplifer distortion when push above 100 volume. It gets very noticable at 110 or above. The bass loses definition and the vocals becomes strained.

ZX507 amp on single ended remains distortion free at max volume.

Comparison was using IER-M9 on SE.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,304 of 3,003
How does the Sony A105 compare to the LG V30 and G7 for sound quality?

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #2,305 of 3,003
Yeah, you definately must disable google services on the A105 to avoid battery drain. It's much better with them off. I keep battery saver on all the time now, I think it's working correctly now.

I've gotten into the habit of disabling wifi too except when using it, that helps a lot, I just download files or audiobooks and don't use the wifi, it's not a phone. Doing bit better now.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2,306 of 3,003
Yeah, you definately must disable google services on the A105 to avoid battery drain. It's much better with them off. I keep battery saver on all the time now, I think it's working correctly now.

I've gotten into the habit of disabling wifi too except when using it, that helps a lot, I just download files or audiobooks and don't use the wifi, it's not a phone. Doing bit better now.
Have you tried allowing permissions on google services instead of disabling them? That's what I was told on the hiby r6 and can get a days use out of it with bluetooth on.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,308 of 3,003
This is something interesting with the ZX507(which also applies to A105)

I notice there is a sound difference between

DSEE HX with Battery Saver ON
DSEE HX with Battery Saver OFF

Battery Saver ON seems to lose abit of crispiness and isn't as spacious sounding.

Battery Saver ON seems to lock the processor down to 1200MHz mostly

With Battery Saver OFF, the processor tend to stay at 1800MHz.

I would believe that DSEE HX AI requires more processing power to sound better.

Go experiment for yourself and see if you can hear any differences. Recommend listening in a quiet environment for this.

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #2,310 of 3,003
This is something interesting with the ZX507(which also applies to A105)

I notice there is a sound difference between

DSEE HX with Battery Saver ON
DSEE HX with Battery Saver OFF

Battery Saver ON seems to lose abit of crispiness and isn't as spacious sounding.

Battery Saver ON seems to lock the processor down to 1200MHz mostly

With Battery Saver OFF, the processor tend to stay at 1800MHz.

I would believe that DSEE HX AI requires more processing power to sound better.

Go experiment for yourself and see if you can hear any differences. Recommend listening in a quiet environment for this.

Hmm. that's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back