The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Aug 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,326 of 3,003
Optimize your A105 for Better Sound Quality in Walkman Music App sdcard playback only mode.(not streaming at all).

This tweak will help improve the sound quality of your A105 for offline playback by disabling all unnecessary apps and services.

To reset this tweak, just do a factory reset.

Requirements
Firmware is updated to 2.00.10
Backup any important data stored on walkman internal storage
Recommend to format your microsd card using the walkman android OS itself and not via Windows/Mac/Pre-formatted

Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Erase all data (factory reset)

Once this is done, just go through the initial setup.

Do not enter WIFI connection details and do not log in to your google account.

Settings > Wifi > Airplane Mode > On
Settings > Wifi(press on icon) > Wifi Preferences > Switch off everything listed here
Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > NFC > off
Settings > Bluetooth(press on icon) > Wireless Playback Quality > LDAC Sound Quality Pref. (this will set LDAC connnection bitrate at highest 990Kbps)

Settings > Apps and notifications > See all 28 apps > Press on the three vertical dots on the top right corner of screen > Show system >
From here you going to press on each app and disable them individually, these are the apps to disable:

Android Accessibility Suite
Android Setup (clock icon)
Android Setup (gear icon)
Basic Daydreams
Block Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar
Calendar Storage
Chrome
Clock
com.android.cts.cts.shim
com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim
com.android.providers.parnterbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
com.google.android.gms.policy_sidecar_aps
Companion Device Manger
ConfigUpdater
Contacts
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Download Maanger
Downloads
Drive
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Backup Transport
Google Contacts Sync
Google Japanese Input
Google One Time Init
Google Partner Setup
Google Pinyin Input
Google Play Music
Google Play Services
Google Play Store
Google Services Framework
Google Text-to-speech
Headphones (don't disable this if you are using Sony bluetooth headsets)
Help Guide
HTML Viewer
Intent Filter Verification Service
Maps
Market Feedback Agent
Media Storage
mora (for japanese firmware only)
mora qualitas (japanese firmware only)
MTP Host
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Storage Manager
User Dictionary
Youtube

Next we are going to disable battery optimization:
Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Battery Optimization > Press on Not Optimized > All apps >
From here we are going to select each app and select Don't optimize.
Do this for all apps except those apps that have Battery optimization not available

Next we are going to enabled 2D GPU acceleration
Settings > System > About Device > Build Number (Press 10 times on this to get developer status)
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > Force GPU Render > On
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
Windows animation scale > Off
Transition animation scale > Off
Animator duration scale > Off
Settings > Accessibility > Remove Animations > On

Settings > Sound >
Media Volume > slide to most left
Alarm Volume > slide to most left
Notification Volume > slide to most left

Settings > Sound > Advanced
Screen locking sound > Off
Charging sound > Off
Touch Sounds > Off

Once you have done the above. You have to make a choice between two sound modes. Yes, this setting affects the sound of the Walkman music app.

Settings > Sound > High-Res streaming >

ON: More 3D-like soundstage, more distant vocals

OFF: Less 3D soundstage, Vocal imaging is better

If you want best sound quality when using DSEE HX, It is recommended to turn off battery saver as it affects DSEE HX AI processing. If you are using Direct Source Mode, it is ok to use battery saver mode.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #2,327 of 3,003
All android apps have to go through upsampling to 32bit 192Khz if you have enabled high res streaming. Upsampling consumes battery operating time.

Walkman music app has bit perfect direct driver access to the S-master hx chip so it will have better battery time.
Thanks for info, I'll check if I can disable the upsampling.

@Sonywalkmanuser I have Hi-Res streaming disabled, so no more processing power used for playback, and still significantly sorter playback time than Walkman app.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #2,330 of 3,003
Ow, so all files are resampled? I thought that only downsampling occurs. I have 16 bit FLAC files mostly and hoped that they won;t be resampled.
Only way music doesn't get resampled is in the walkman app. With upsampling option you wont loose music/detail data but DAP does more processing leading to slightly lower battery life.

Using Walkman app itself is only way to get the longer battery life and bit-perfect, even MQA files.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,331 of 3,003

Yes I know but if you click on Buy Now on the sony.ca site it takes you to this site where you can only pre-order with No Eta. Makes no sense if it is available elsewhere, why not just list amazon.ca as an available dealer. Also this site is where I have purchased extended warranties in the past. Can't get an extended Sony warranty from amazon.ca

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,335 of 3,003
I have sold mine. If does not make sense to use the Android when there are pointless limitations.
If I would like to use Walkman App only I would buy A55 with much better battery.

SHanling Q1 provides more power, better battery life and equivalent sound quality, maybe 5-10% worse. And all for few times lower price.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,336 of 3,003
I have sold mine. If does not make sense to use the Android when there are pointless limitations.
If I would like to use Walkman App only I would buy A55 with much better battery.

SHanling Q1 provides more power, better battery life and equivalent sound quality, maybe 5-10% worse. And all for few times lower price.

Plus, with Q1, one can use EQ settings via BT (it's f..ing ridiculous - SONY in 2O2O still hasn't it done right!). I own A55 and this Shanling little Q1LLeR, but I ended with everyday using Q1 with my TWS - shame on you, SONY).

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,337 of 3,003
Hi guys, I'm having hard times with offline library on Tidal. When I go out for a walk I can't access my offline library, because Tidal sais "no connection" but I have many albums downloaded.
If I start to listen to one of them at home, than it works also outside without connection, but it is a big limitation.

Last but not least there are only about 2.6gb free (I have just Tidal and Spotify installed) and many times the system tells me to free some space (because cache occupies all the internal memory).

I'm thinking about upgrading to ZX-507 but I don't know if it's worth the money difference.

Suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,338 of 3,003
Hi guys, I'm having hard times with offline library on Tidal. When I go out for a walk I can't access my offline library, because Tidal sais "no connection" but I have many albums downloaded.
If I start to listen to one of them at home, than it works also outside without connection, but it is a big limitation.

Last but not least there are only about 2.6gb free (I have just Tidal and Spotify installed) and many times the system tells me to free some space (because cache occupies all the internal memory).

I'm thinking about upgrading to ZX-507 but I don't know if it's worth the money difference.

Suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Put Tidal in download only tracks (offline). Then turn off wifi. Works with my ZX507.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #2,339 of 3,003
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,340 of 3,003
What I don't understand is why when I use direct connection via USB C to USB B micro to Hugo2 that Hugo2 doesn't show an extended (ie 384khz) samping rate even tho that's what it's been reported as with high-res streaming turned on. Instead on masters I would see generally 96khz active (green)

While this doesn't bother me a ton since let's face it, those extended sampling rates make a minimal impact to quality and 96khz is already a welcome improvement over Redbook audio, It leaves me not really understanding how high res streaming on the A105 actually works - is this because of the Tidal files, USB C limitation, Hugo 2 or what ?

When I use the Hugo2 with Audirvana on a desktop computer, I can get all kinds of exotic oversampling rates available via usb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back