The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,221 of 3,003
I have a 55L that I like. I ordered the 105 but returned it in May. The volume in the European version is ridiculous. If you compare the 55 with volume cap removed and the 105, the second is not acceptable at all. I returned it mainly for the volume. My Sennheiser HD 599 was unusable with it. I also did not like the battery. A pitty since I liked the quality of the sound (not the volume) and UI, fully functional android.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,222 of 3,003
Thanks for your feedback.

I made my decision based on multiple users in this thread reporting volume improvement over the last two firmware updates on A105 EU only, not ZX507 EU. Anyhow, did you try the ZX507 EU with the latest firmware or not?

While I generally totally agree with your viewpoint EU versions are capped historically, I only bit based on users reporting in this thread the cap been has been removed/improved significantly after the latest two firmware versions.

Anyway, will report once I receive the unit.
No, never tried 2.0X firmware. First thing I did when I got my NW-WM1A was to switch region with Rockbox Tool to USA region to terminate volume limitation. As much as I love Sony Walkmans, but I decided not to invest any money and time in volume limited gears any longer....

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,223 of 3,003
I have a 55L that I like. I ordered the 105 but returned it in May. The volume in the European version is ridiculous. If you compare the 55 with volume cap removed and the 105, the second is not acceptable at all. I returned it mainly for the volume. My Sennheiser HD 599 was unusable with it. I also did not like the battery. A pitty since I liked the quality of the sound (not the volume) and UI, fully functional android.
Yes, really a pitty. When I learned about the A105 and ZX507 releases, I was so excited. This was all I expected from a Walkman. Android and possibility to stream Amazon Music - if possible in high resolution.

But the volume limitation killed it all. In the meantime I am quite happy with the NW-WM1A. And I found out that streaming is not really satisfying for me. The older I get, the harder it is for me to "feel inside" and to enjoy new music. Mostly I streamed the stuff I owned already. And if I find new music which I really like, I want to have a physical medium (CD).

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,224 of 3,003
Yes, really a pitty. When I learned about the A105 and ZX507 releases, I was so excited. This was all I expected from a Walkman. Android and possibility to stream Amazon Music - if possible in high resolution.

But the volume limitation killed it all. In the meantime I am quite happy with the NW-WM1A. And I found out that streaming is not really satisfying for me. The older I get, the harder it is for me to "feel inside" and to enjoy new music. Mostly I streamed the stuff I owned already. And if I find new music which I really like, I want to have a physical medium (CD).
I use streaming as a convenience sometimes but I much prefer physical media when at home, combined with music loaded onto my Walkman (s) when outdoors.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,225 of 3,003
I use streaming as a convenience sometimes but I much prefer physical media when at home, combined with music loaded onto my Walkman (s) when outdoors.
I use streaming for two things. First is platforms, Apple music family account, I have tried Deezer a few months, now trying Tidal, all for music discovery: Listen to playlists and discover some new things. Second, is dlna streaming of files in my computer. Both things were done very well by the 105 but volume...and battery. I contemplated ordering the 507 from Japan, but was afraid of the lack of warranty, bad past experiences with other brands and devices. Finally I ended up buying the A&K SR25 excellent sound and battery, but UI and wifi better the Sony 105. I am happy with the result but i liked the 105 in many aspects and still like my 55.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2,226 of 3,003
Pretty sure the volume issue has been fixed since 2.0 (Not 100 percent since I have a japanese unit and didn't have too many issues).

Some of it will depend on your headphones and how efficient they are, or how much power they require.

For example, Oppo PM-3, doesn't get driven as well as I'd like. But Meze 99 Classics - sound pretty amazing off this device.

Same with various types of IEMs.

For me the main issue remaining with the device, which is great otherwise and I really love, it's the battery. Even with everything I can easily kill the battery in 4 or 5 hours with high res streaming.

It's mitigated somewhat by it's auto turn off, but I sometimes find it's drained unexpectedly.

Honestly people should not really be listening for longer than that in a single session, I don't really see a problem with it since a good charge takes just over an hour on a good USB C fast charge so taking a break is good for your ears....

But it's not a device that you would want to pick if you wanted playback for 20 hours without access to charge, it's more of an afternoon around the house/city type device where you've got it charged before you leave and you'll charge it after you get back.

However, for it's size and it's sound, It's still a keeper to me. I don't want to get a big heavy brick like some of the other devices with great battery life.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,227 of 3,003
Thanks for your feedback. This is am option I have considered. I'm after the EU version because of price difference between BBR and amazon.it: $542 CAD vs $300 CAD (like new) all in shipped to the door after taxes/duties.

I'm not dying for a DAP, I recently picked up SR25 locally from Headfoneshop and it's great (besides wifi dropouts). Was just looking for another option to beat up to throw in the bag to take on the transit (SR25 is still too shiny haha).

The A105 and ZX507 deals on amazon.it are great, it's just mostly the volume issue held me back. However interestingly A105 EU users are reporting volume improvements with recent firmware, but ZX507 EU users are not - while both apparently share similar firmware.

I bit on A105 EU last night. After all it seems like ZX507 EU version is hurting more as it doesn't properly handle two biggest advantages over A105 it has for me: the high gain option and balanced output. Apparently high gain option is missing completely while balanced output would be volume capped too so it almost defeats its purpose.

So I'm not expecting to drive my 6xx with A105 EU properly (even my SR25 cannot) but as long as it drives my Xelento and CL2 iems properly I will be happy.

Wait that price seems way to low, are you saying you can order an A105 from Europe for $300 Canadian? The A105 is selling for 349 euros on amazon.it and the exchange rate right now is 1.52 between the Canadian dollar and the euro. So 300 euros if that is the price would be $456 CDN with the exchange rate. Would you be buying it used from Europe? If so $300 CDN would be only $196 euros, even less if taxes and shipping are included.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,228 of 3,003
Wait that price seems way to low, are you saying you can order an A105 from Europe for $300 Canadian? The A105 is selling for 349 euros on amazon.it and the exchange rate right now is 1.52 between the Canadian dollar and the euro. So 300 euros if that is the price would be $456 CDN with the exchange rate. Would you be buying it used from Europe? If so $300 CDN would be only $196 euros, even less if taxes and shipping are included.

Yes, "like new" condition (like I mentioned) from amazon.it warehouse deals. Comes up to roughly $300CAD all in with shipping, duties, tax.

These items are usually not actually used, just a damaged box. In case the condition doesn't match the description, amazon could reduce the price even further.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,229 of 3,003
IMG_20200706_111403749.jpg

I am really happy with this combo! Especially now that volume limit seems to be removed from this EU unit. Like another member, I don't want to update past 2.00.05 in case the volume situation changes.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #2,230 of 3,003
Pretty sure the volume issue has been fixed since 2.0 (Not 100 percent since I have a japanese unit and didn't have too many issues).

Some of it will depend on your headphones and how efficient they are, or how much power they require.

For example, Oppo PM-3, doesn't get driven as well as I'd like. But Meze 99 Classics - sound pretty amazing off this device.

Same with various types of IEMs.

For me the main issue remaining with the device, which is great otherwise and I really love, it's the battery. Even with everything I can easily kill the battery in 4 or 5 hours with high res streaming.

It's mitigated somewhat by it's auto turn off, but I sometimes find it's drained unexpectedly.

Honestly people should not really be listening for longer than that in a single session, I don't really see a problem with it since a good charge takes just over an hour on a good USB C fast charge so taking a break is good for your ears....

But it's not a device that you would want to pick if you wanted playback for 20 hours without access to charge, it's more of an afternoon around the house/city type device where you've got it charged before you leave and you'll charge it after you get back.

However, for it's size and it's sound, It's still a keeper to me. I don't want to get a big heavy brick like some of the other devices with great battery life.

I agree you don't want to take the A105 out for a long period of time and honestly the only time i think i will be using this for longer than a few hours is probably on an international plane ride. I really don't see a reason to stream Hi-Res from the internet, more like download to the device and use offline.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2,231 of 3,003
Yes, "like new" condition (like I mentioned) from amazon.it warehouse deals. Comes up to roughly $300CAD all in with shipping, duties, tax.

These items are usually not actually used, just a damaged box. In case the condition doesn't match the description, amazon could reduce the price even further.

Okey that makes more sense!

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2,232 of 3,003
Tried a different cable, or checked that the cables connected correctly? Failing that try turning down the volume of the a105, even if by one.

The cable's fine and volume at max was not the issue. I managed to notice that whenever the a105 reboots, it seems to be some notification coming thru with a notification sound. What I did then was to shut off wifi and silent all notification. Now there are no reboots while I'm connected to an amp with volume at max. I'm quite happy now although I'm going to have to rely on this thread for future fw upgrades now that I'm not on wifi. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,234 of 3,003
. I really don't see a reason to stream Hi-Res from the internet

Well, alot of people who use Tidal with this device would beg to differ with you, I mean that is the main reason I got the A105 in the first place. :dt880smile:

Although it wasn't working for like the first 6 months :triportsad:

I still don't see a way on the android app to allow "passthrough MQA" for hardware decoding like on PC or Mac so that's a bit disappointing. Perhaps it automatically does that on the 105 not sure.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #2,235 of 3,003
Well, alot of people who use Tidal with this device would beg to differ with you, I mean that is the main reason I got the A105 in the first place. :dt880smile:

Although it wasn't working for like the first 6 months :triportsad:

I still don't see a way on the android app to allow "passthrough MQA" for hardware decoding like on PC or Mac so that's a bit disappointing. Perhaps it automatically does that on the 105 not sure.

I don't mean using a streaming service, i mean actually streaming the files instead of having them offline, which all paid streaming services do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back