The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,207 of 3,003
Sony have released another update for this device. That's very quick for Sony, I'm half afraid to install it in case it reinstates the EU volume cap. Paranoid, I know, but the unit is virtually useless when capped

Did you end up updating to the latest version? If so, would you be able to kindly confirm if the cap is still gone for you after the latest update? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,209 of 3,003
No difference in mine after update.

As if, volume cap is still gone/better on the latest version 2.01.00?

Or, are you not noticing any volume improvements after the past two firmware versions?

Please confirm.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,211 of 3,003
There won't be any improvement if the device wasn't capped to begin with. Only the EU version was capped

Right. I assumed this user has EU version.

I'm looking for purchase one myself, but am on the ropes due to the volume cap issue.

Thanks for your help.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,212 of 3,003

I'm looking for purchase one myself, but am on the ropes due to the volume cap issue.

Thanks for your help.

You can just crank it up again. By the way, after the installation of the new firmware I experienced a major bound in maximum volume level. The volume cap is on lower number/level (50 vs 66) now too.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,213 of 3,003

Thanks for your help.
Can you not get it on amazon and return if you are not happy?

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,214 of 3,003
Can you not get it on amazon and return if you are not happy?

I live in Canada and looking to purchase EU version. From my understanding the duties wouldn't be refunded if I was to return it back to one of european Amazons.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,215 of 3,003
As if, volume cap is still gone/better on the latest version 2.01.00?

Or, are you not noticing any volume improvements after the past two firmware versions?

Please confirm.

I'm listening AK Diana on 50pts volume and did manual update to 2.01.00 from official 0000 international version and still listening on 50pts. I did comparsion with 2.01.00 and last one by full volume on kef m100 (not very sensitive) - no differences.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #2,216 of 3,003

Thanks for your help.

Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto is selling the A105 https://baybloorradio.com/sony/sony-walkman/sony-nw-a105-high-resolution-walkman. Best to buy in Canada to get the Canadian warranty as Sony does not cover out of country warranties in Canada. They are also offering free shipping so it might be worth checking them out vs importing from EU or China.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,217 of 3,003
Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto is selling the A105 https://baybloorradio.com/sony/sony-walkman/sony-nw-a105-high-resolution-walkman. Best to buy in Canada to get the Canadian warranty as Sony does not cover out of country warranties in Canada. They are also offering free shipping so it might be worth checking them out vs importing from EU or China.

Thanks for your feedback. This is am option I have considered. I'm after the EU version because of price difference between BBR and amazon.it: $542 CAD vs $300 CAD (like new) all in shipped to the door after taxes/duties.

I'm not dying for a DAP, I recently picked up SR25 locally from Headfoneshop and it's great (besides wifi dropouts). Was just looking for another option to beat up to throw in the bag to take on the transit (SR25 is still too shiny haha).

The A105 and ZX507 deals on amazon.it are great, it's just mostly the volume issue held me back. However interestingly A105 EU users are reporting volume improvements with recent firmware, but ZX507 EU users are not - while both apparently share similar firmware.

I bit on A105 EU last night. After all it seems like ZX507 EU version is hurting more as it doesn't properly handle two biggest advantages over A105 it has for me: the high gain option and balanced output. Apparently high gain option is missing completely while balanced output would be volume capped too so it almost defeats its purpose.

So I'm not expecting to drive my 6xx with A105 EU properly (even my SR25 cannot) but as long as it drives my Xelento and CL2 iems properly I will be happy.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,218 of 3,003
Thanks for your feedback. This is am option I have considered. I'm after the EU version because of price difference between BBR and amazon.it: $542 CAD vs $300 CAD (like new) all in shipped to the door after taxes/duties.

I'm not dying for a DAP, I recently picked up SR25 locally from Headfoneshop and it's great (besides wifi dropouts). Was just looking for another option to beat up to throw in the bag to take on the transit (SR25 is still too shiny haha).

The A105 and ZX507 deals on amazon.it are great, it's just mostly the volume issue held me back. However interestingly A105 EU users are reporting volume improvements with recent firmware, but ZX507 EU users are not - while both apparently share similar firmware.

I bit on A105 EU last night. After all it seems like ZX507 EU version is hurting more as it doesn't properly handle two biggest advantages over A105 it has for me: the high gain option and balanced output. Apparently high gain option is missing completely while balanced output would be volume capped too so it almost defeats its purpose.

So I'm not expecting to drive my 6xx with A105 EU properly (even my SR25 cannot) but as long as it drives my Xelento and CL2 iems properly I will be happy.

Believe me, you will not be happy with the EU version . I had a ZX507 from amazon for more than a week. But the volume limitation really sucks. I was bothered so much. Even with 3rd party apps (poweramp which I liked very much) power is too low and total output is not sufficient to drive headphones with a fun factor volume. Finally I decided to go for a used Sony NW-WM1A. With this device you can easily switch of volume limitation by changing region code. Sound quality is just awesome also compared to the ZX507. If you want to go for a A105 go for the non-EU version. Otherwise you will regret, I am sure. But just my 50 cents.....

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,219 of 3,003
Believe me, you will not be happy with the EU version . I had a ZX507 from amazon for more than a week. But the volume limitation really sucks. I was bothered so much. Even with 3rd party apps (poweramp which I liked very much) power is too low and total output is not sufficient to drive headphones with a fun factor volume. Finally I decided to go for a used Sony NW-WM1A. With this device you can easily switch of volume limitation by changing region code. Sound quality is just awesome also compared to the ZX507. If you want to go for a A105 go for the non-EU version. Otherwise you will regret, I am sure. But just my 50 cents.....

Thanks for your feedback.

I made my decision based on multiple users in this thread reporting volume improvement over the last two firmware updates on A105 EU only, not ZX507 EU. Anyhow, did you try the ZX507 EU with the latest firmware or not?

While I generally totally agree with your viewpoint EU versions are capped historically, I only bit based on users reporting in this thread the cap been has been removed/improved significantly after the latest two firmware versions.

Anyway, will report once I receive the unit.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,220 of 3,003
I can confirm that the volume output has improved in the 2.05 update. I can't say for sure that this equates with a full removal of the cap. The output prior to this update was pathetic to say the least and I don't listen to music very loud. The capped EU version of the A105 is completely useless. Better off with a phone. Stupidly, the output of EU Sony phones isn't capped, it's a total nonsense tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back