The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
May 28, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #2,101 of 3,003
Qualcomm smartphones usually do bit-perfect at least if they use codecs that use the offloading API which is quite a few on Qualcomm (IIRC even vorbis) but I would need to double check.Sony phones got to expensive. I use cheap Motorola now :D
I just looked at the new one coming out soon until I realised its price and size!

May 28, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,103 of 3,003
It is just ridiculous what phone manufacturers are charging now
Well premium brand manufactureres. You can get plenty of cheap Android phones if not pursuing latest or a brand.

A used/refurb LG V30 for example can be bought cheap and makes an excellent DAP with full MQA too. Still a great phone 3 years since launch too. Sometimes wish I'd not sold mine.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,105 of 3,003
I use 1tb microSD with over 50 thousand songs, the browsing was so smooth on the NW-A55, but on the NW-A105 even after firmware still very slow, why are Sony not fixing this for large library?
Cynic/preparing for next model release/cynic.

May 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2,106 of 3,003
There's definately a noticeable improvement in sound quality for tidal streamers with high resolution streaming on.

Don't know much about the battery impact yet.

But with the latest battery tweaks the battery is acceptable for a night of listening anyway.

May 31, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,107 of 3,003
I finnaly found full size over ear open headphones to my a105 (EU capped :frowning2: ) :D (monolith m650)
With my build silvered custom cable :
a105.jpg

May 31, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #2,108 of 3,003
Well premium brand manufactureres. You can get plenty of cheap Android phones if not pursuing latest or a brand.

A used/refurb LG V30 for example can be bought cheap and makes an excellent DAP with full MQA too. Still a great phone 3 years since launch too. Sometimes wish I'd not sold mine.
Got to agree with you the v30 is one hell of a nice sounding phone sounds very good with amazon HD and spotify i will never sell mine no point really its my back up DAP...

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,109 of 3,003
Oh man, i switched from Tidal to Qobuz and the UI on this little guy is tiiiiny. Almost unusable. Don’t think Qobuz have designed their app with any consideration for screens this small. Might have to ditch the player.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,110 of 3,003
Oh man, i switched from Tidal to Qobuz and the UI on this little guy is tiiiiny. Almost unusable. Don’t think Qobuz have designed their app with any consideration for screens this small. Might have to ditch the player.

Or keep the player for the great sound and use your phone for Qobuz. Unless that's the only way you listen to music.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,111 of 3,003
Or keep the player for the great sound and use your phone for Qobuz. Unless that's the only way you listen to music.
Apart from a few albums not available on streaming (mainly on the classically Hyperion label now ECM are everywhere) I’m now streaming only.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #2,113 of 3,003
Is it possible to add to the fw to configure the headphone out of A105 as PO or LO ? Also, I'm having problems connecting external dacs such as Topping nx4 dsd, Topping d10 via the usb-c of A105. I'm thinking that perhaps UAPP might have better support for external dac/amp compared with the music player from sony?

It seems that usb audio will not work if there is a 3.5mm jack connected to another device ie another dac/amp. I was using a105 with another amp and after pulling that jack, only the usb audio works. Back to the other question of mine @Sony, can the fw add function of PO and LO. Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back