The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,116 of 3,003
D5607AAC-8B00-4266-A2EF-7F77C500AA71.jpeg

Easy to see the new Upscaler behavior in action here. Note that it will stay green even on 16/44 tracks. (Hugo2 Green Viewing Glass == 24/96)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,120 of 3,003
Thats what I thought, thats what neutron is showing for me.

I succumbed and ordered the import ZX507!

Will compare ZX507 with a Tidal MQA (upscaled) to the Hiby R3Pro real MQA when it arrives.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #2,122 of 3,003
I succumbed and ordered the import ZX507!

Thats cool, I have the Japanese a105, so you will have no EU sound nerfing with the zx507 and you'll have the powerful balamced out. Battery life will still suck though :) 😃 ive done every tweak for a105 including disabling the play store and deleting my account and I still lose about 6% in about 12 hours.

Not bad, but I shut it off every night and then turn it on in the morning to extend standby time. Although the 507 has a bigger battery, but I still heard it's weak.

I'll have to check out your impressions of it ,)

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,127 of 3,003
Shouldn't it be showing colour for 24/192 (32/192) ??

I think its limited by the USB C. In any event, that is the mode I get and it at least allows for hi res frequencies that matter (everythjng I’m streaming on Tidal is in < 192 originally anyway, mostly 44.1,48,88,or 96). It sounds good.

Would it be better if it allowed native bit perfect output ? yeah, but its better now than it was before.

I mean I’d much rather have limited upsampling to 96 than downsampling behavior.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2,128 of 3,003
Thats cool, I have the Japanese a105, so you will have no EU sound nerfing with the zx507 and you'll have the powerful balamced out. Battery life will still suck though :) 😃 ive done every tweak for a105 including disabling the play store and deleting my account and I still lose about 6% in about 12 hours.

Not bad, but I shut it off every night and then turn it on in the morning to extend standby time. Although the 507 has a bigger battery, but I still heard it's weak.

I'll have to check out your impressions of it ,)

6% in 12hours isn’t too bad for modern android device.

At home, I leave my zx507 plugged into a 26800mah powerbank, which negates the noisy AC power line.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2,129 of 3,003
You can get at least 4-6 solid hours out of the device in a typical evening, depending on your use case. Most of the time to protect your long term hearing you should not listen continously for that long anyway. Even out and about I find I typically listen for no more than 2-4 hours. It takes about 1.5 hours to charge on a 60w USB C brick.

Auto power off is a game changer to preserve battery life. I like sony gave us several versions with fixes for major concerns, most manufacturers would have given up and moved on to the next device.

Yes, the batteries are gonna all be worn out on these devices in a few years.

If you need longer times than that this isnt the best device for you.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,130 of 3,003
Not limited by USB C, I got 192 and up over USB C. And the battery life is OK for a small device but I just think the battery is too small for standby where I don't feel the need to turn it off every night.

All the other Android daps I've tested lost 2% or less overnight. Also after turning it on I could lose 3 to 4% of battery very quickly sometimes- especially if it's below 50%. Of course all the other daps had bigger batteries, R5, dx160,n6ii,m11 etc. Not a huge deal but I'm getting another little dap for double duty as I use them a lot.

And honestly I'm just used to grabbing a dap and having it powered on since I can remember.

I'm going to leave it on all week and check the actual discharge rate (maybe it's not as bad as it seems) it's just a tiny peave I have, but I understand it's android 9 with a quad core cpu and a tiny battery cell.

I only mentioned it again because I disabled the play store and deleted my account and did all the 'tweaks' and honestly it's pretty much the same as when I got it- after the first couple of days. So none of that stuff has really made a difference for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back