The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,041 of 3,003
I have tried streaming when I have forgotten my DAP using my smartphone. My smartphone is used for my business and I don't load songs on it streaming or otherwise as I need my storage to run a business. So in rare instances I have streamed wifi so quality has been an issue on the subway. Those of us who don't live by streaming and only use it when there is no other option do experience problems in places like subways since I don't save streaming tracks on my phone. As long as you have your own music time will never pass you buy. It is great to have more than one option for consuming music if you have a little imagination.

Just use Tidal; you can have all your music lossless and you can download it onto our beloved A105 and always have it with reception problems. But relaxing at home you're on a comfy wi-fi connection and you can stream.

And that is perfectly fine, streaming isn't for you. I personally think the A105 is better suited for people that have their own music vice just streaming but maybe that's just me.

You can have both. I have my "old collection" on an 512 GB SDcard... I can download whatever I want, playlists included on tidal, I can have music no matter what's going on. This is why the A105 works for me... it's biggest weakness remains the battery but with auto-off things are manageable.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2,042 of 3,003
Also, it sounds pretty damn good on halfway decent IEMS. Even when compared to some high end equipment.

It's not AS good of course, but it's good. Better than my old dragonfly... which was no slouch, this is a lot more refined.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,043 of 3,003
Just use Tidal; you can have all your music lossless and you can download it onto our beloved A105 and always have it with reception problems. But relaxing at home you're on a comfy wi-fi connection and you can stream.

You can have both. I have my "old collection" on an 512 GB SDcard... I can download whatever I want, playlists included on tidal, I can have music no matter what's going on. This is why the A105 works for me... it's biggest weakness remains the battery but with auto-off things are manageable.

I agree that you can have both, which is what i do. I mean't only that those talking about only using it for streaming could look elsewhere.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #2,044 of 3,003
Also, it sounds pretty damn good on halfway decent IEMS. Even when compared to some high end equipment.

It's not AS good of course, but it's good. Better than my old dragonfly... which was no slouch, this is a lot more refined.
I feel like AudioQuesr and their Dragonfly, with the rise of type C& lightning USB dongles these days need to do more to differentiate, their cobalt doesn't really impress that many people either, I lost interest and sold my Black after I find myself using fiio BTR3 with my phone way more, at home I just use my desktop Dac/amp as that's way better, both in sound and driving power.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,045 of 3,003
Did someone has the chance to compare the A105 with the ZX507? I was in doubt about power... I mean the japanese version obviously. I've read that the ZX507 EU version is weaker than the A105 japanese version.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #2,046 of 3,003
Did someone has the chance to compare the A105 with the ZX507? I was in doubt about power... I mean the japanese version obviously. I've read that the ZX507 EU version is weaker than the A105 japanese version.

I planned on comparing both before all the COVID stuff happened. Whenever i get back to Japan i plan on taking my IEMs and listening in store.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,047 of 3,003
I’ve got both in my house (my wife owns the A105)

If you’re only using IEM’s and don’t need a balanced port, the A105 will do the job perfectly well. I actually prefer the A105’s single ended output over the ZX507’s SE. To me it just sounds a little bit more lively and engaging. That could just be a placebo, who knows.

Either way, it’s a great little device and I love it. I often use it around the house when my wife is using her phone + tws.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #2,048 of 3,003
I’ve got both in my house (my wife owns the A105)

If you’re only using IEM’s and don’t need a balanced port, the A105 will do the job perfectly well. I actually prefer the A105’s single ended output over the ZX507’s SE. To me it just sounds a little bit more lively and engaging. That could just be a placebo, who knows.

Either way, it’s a great little device and I love it. I often use it around the house when my wife is using her phone + tws.

Thanks, this feedback gives me more hope about the A105 that I'm waiting from Hong Kong. I chose it because I have more IEMs than cans (actually atm as headphone I have only a DT770 pro 32ohm) and I dont' have expensive or power hunger IEMs (they are all in the 100/250 euro range). My worries are about power and the lack of balance port. I'll let you know.

I'm also planning to buy the Dunu DK-2001 that are 13ohm, and I've read very good reviews, but I'll wait to test the A105 first.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,049 of 3,003

Again and again, if I already have all the music I like why pay for Tidal or any other streaming service? It simply makes more sense for me to spend the money I would spend on a monthly Tidal membership and just spend it on the few tracks I need to add to my collection. My current music library is what I listen to 99% of the time so why pay to stream every month for that tiny 1% I don't have. There are other ways to discover new music without having to pay for a streaming service. Also I don't use wifi at home I have my entire house wired for gigabit ethernet, more reliable speeds and alot more secure. Call me old school and slightly paranoid but after working in IT for 25+ years including network security I only use wifi when I am out of the house.

To each is own, we all should do what works best for us and my way is the best, most economical and practical for me. Plenty of people have tried but none will ever convince me to pay for a streaming music service.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #2,050 of 3,003
Finally!

Tempered glass protector and crystal clear cover out of the box...

Today I test it.

20200427_142910.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,052 of 3,003
Looks nice in that case :) did you get an uncapped model?

Yes! Uncapped! Volume and power seem to be very good with IEMs.
I've just started to listen to some albums (ripped - flac - 16 and 24 bit) and then I'll try to stream from Tidal (master quality possibly, even if Android will downscale to 16 bit).

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,053 of 3,003
Yes! Uncapped! Volume and power seem to be very good with IEMs.
I've just started to listen to some albums (ripped - flac - 16 and 24 bit) and then I'll try to stream from Tidal (master quality possibly, even if Android will downscale to 16 bit).

Awesome mate. Enjoy :)

Tidal MQA still sounds great to me even though it’s downsampled. And it looks like that’s getting fixed soon anyway

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,054 of 3,003
I don't know how some functions work, like DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, Dynamic Normalizer, Vinyl Processor and ClearAudio+. Is there a guide in the forum?
I'm using direct sound atm.

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2,055 of 3,003
Here are some other pictures. I'm proud of how I applied the screen protector, it doesn't seem to be on the DAP. :beyersmile:

20200427_165225.jpg
20200427_165320-01.jpeg
20200427_165338-01.jpeg
20200427_165040.jpg
20200427_165128.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back