The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,831 of 3,003
Very nice. What's the launcher (?)?
Nova Launcher. :) I used some tweaks in it to get it that way. I still try to get a "Shuffle" action on the home screen (I use DoubleTwist as my main player since I like it more from the looks and it's also able to play ALAC files. Wish the BlackPlayer EX would do it as well but it doesn't...

I used KWGT for the shortcut-fonts

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,832 of 3,003
You definately have to tweak the crap out of the device (removing alot of things it runs helps, it's setup to be a phone, but it doesn't need those things as a DAP, nor does it have battery for them) and you have to learn how to do things like App Pinning, and turning on Auto-off after 1 hour, but after you do it's a pretty great device.

I've never had it totally run out of battery during a listening session, so the battery is good enough for what it is. It's not your phone, remember.

Now that it has auto-off, it should last a bit longer before the battery is shot too.

The biggest annoyance I have with it now is having it transition wireless networks properly when leaving your house for example to your hotspot.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,834 of 3,003
Hello lovely people! Please excuse my newb self, but I just read an Amazon review saying that Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon etc. services cannot store their libraries/offline tracks on the sd card and they will only store those tracks on the device's internal memory that's already been slashed in half by the OS itself. Is that true?
Amazon review is wrong, my A105 stores Amazon HD music on the SD card without any problem, you can store Amazon HD/ Spotify on the SD card, I have no idea about Apple Music.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,836 of 3,003
My launcher minimal battery use. 15815880109403931876459592814462.jpg

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,840 of 3,003
I was going back in forth between this player and the A55 but then I saw this video and now I'm sold on the A105. Figured id share as it might help some other people out. Hopefully I should be getting it in this weekend!

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,843 of 3,003
Disclaimer: I am not an Audiophile. I just received my US Amazon A105 last night, and I don't know if this is a common knowledge or not but the AVLS (volume limit) is toggle-able for me and it was off by default.

Wow. An Android 9.0 in THAT SIZE?! To me that alone is definitely worth the bump in price from the A55 to this. But again, they are completely different animals so it isn't fair to compare them. I am pairing this with my newly purchased MDR-1AM2 and nothing else and let me tell you it sounds incredible! I tried Deezer HiFi, and I barely cranked it up to around 78. This is exactly the device I've been looking for, about damn time Sony releases an affordable Android DAP. Thought I'll never see the day.

Now, the elephant in the room...battery. Everyone here was more than kind to provide detailed information about battery use and I am not adding anything to that except for the fact that I have a charger everywhere I am sitting during the day, and while charging continuously is a little bit disheartening but for this price, size, and sound I cannot really complain. The perfect device won't exist for me but I am going to enjoy the heck out of this one. I just wish we got more options in the US in terms of colors. Oh well.

All in all this little guy is going to be put to work in my car, in the office, and at home. I hope Sony will continue to optimize it by pushing updates regularly because honestly for a heavy listener like me (who isn't an Audiophile) this is a keeper.

PS: Spotify is my daily driver because I love discovering new artists, and their algorithm seems to work well with my taste as of late (I just recently switched from Google Play Music after using it for 8 years) and it took about an hour to download my 1500+ liked tracks on my MicroSD for offline listening on the go.

PPS: If you want to add a new flavor to your Android experience, toggle the Invert Colors option on, I find it quite fun-looking "filter" lol.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,844 of 3,003
Disclaimer: I am not an Audiophile. I just received my US Amazon A105 last night, and I don't know if this is a common knowledge or not but the AVLS (volume limit) is toggle-able for me and it was off by default.

Wow. An Android 9.0 in THAT SIZE?! To me that alone is definitely worth the bump in price from the A55 to this. But again, they are completely different animals so it isn't fair to compare them. I am pairing this with my newly purchased MDR-1AM2 and nothing else and let me tell you it sounds incredible! I tried Deezer HiFi, and I barely cranked it up to around 78. This is exactly the device I've been looking for, about damn time Sony releases an affordable Android DAP. Thought I'll never see the day.

Now, the elephant in the room...battery. Everyone here was more than kind to provide detailed information about battery use and I am not adding anything to that except for the fact that I have a charger everywhere I am sitting during the day, and while charging continuously is a little bit disheartening but for this price, size, and sound I cannot really complain. The perfect device won't exist for me but I am going to enjoy the heck out of this one. I just wish we got more options in the US in terms of colors. Oh well.

All in all this little guy is going to be put to work in my car, in the office, and at home. I hope Sony will continue to optimize it by pushing updates regularly because honestly for a heavy listener like me (who isn't an Audiophile) this is a keeper.

PS: Spotify is my daily driver because I love discovering new artists, and their algorithm seems to work well with my taste as of late (I just recently switched from Google Play Music after using it for 8 years) and it took about an hour to download my 1500+ liked tracks on my MicroSD for offline listening on the go.

PPS: If you want to add a new flavor to your Android experience, toggle the Invert Colors option on, I find it quite fun-looking "filter" lol.
I saw the same settings, but since I bought it a day after the latest update, I'm not sure if this is a new addition to the settings or not.

For the battery another tip - use Greenify. It also works with non rooted devices, so it will help getting out more juice. :)

Still I hope someone will be able to port a working TWRP recovery for the NW-A105. This way we could manage to apply so much more to the device (even Viper4Android in case someone wants it)

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,845 of 3,003
I have recently re-discovered my Fitear MH335DW when pairing it with the A105. While doing some long over-due CNY cleaning and dug them out from the drawer after years of not using them since I got my Just ear MH1, I thought I would give the pairing a try. The MH335DW + A105 may very well become my "throw away" ultra-portable rig, somehow it just works, perhaps it's because the MH335DW is a bass-emphasised CIEM, which is similar to what entry level consumer grade Sony headphones are tuned for so it has that similar synergy going on.

I also noticed that I don't need more than 30 clicks on the A105 when using the MH335DW, using efficient headphones with a good seal and you are really good to go with the A105.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back