The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Feb 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,803 of 3,003
I loved windows 7 ultimate, now running W10 pro and it is abysmal

Don't get me started on Windows 10, I have had to update hundreds of computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Total nightmare experience for sure. Funny thing is even though they don't advertise it the free Windows 10 upgrade is still available and it is even easier than it was initially. Even being free I am passing on Windows 10 and will be moving to Linux Mint 19.3 in April or May and kiss Microsucks goodbye forever.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,804 of 3,003
I did install the Japanese firmware but no good. The hardware itself must have an internal flag at a lower level than the firmware.

In what way did you install the firmware? Because without root, I don't think it will change much.
As far as I can think of, there is just a preference file inside of the root directory that limits it. I haven't bought mine yet, but only because I'm waiting for my CC bill to arrive.

Would you be able to first flash the japanese recovery, things would change I think.

There are so many questions no one seems to answer anywhere. Like, is it possible to install Nova Launcher, or does the store say it's not compatible? Does the black player work?

I wish the DAP world would have more XDA members. For some reason it's impossible to get any TWRP on any DAP. I've looked around in english and japanese and no one seems to root the NW-A105.

Really with root you could just get rid of the Gapps all together, install FDE.AI with Magisk and have a battery life maybe 20x as long as right now. I want the player because it has Android and is tiny - most DAPs are as big as my phone :/

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,805 of 3,003
In what way did you install the firmware? Because without root, I don't think it will change much.
As far as I can think of, there is just a preference file inside of the root directory that limits it. I haven't bought mine yet, but only because I'm waiting for my CC bill to arrive.

Would you be able to first flash the japanese recovery, things would change I think.

There are so many questions no one seems to answer anywhere. Like, is it possible to install Nova Launcher, or does the store say it's not compatible? Does the black player work?

I wish the DAP world would have more XDA members. For some reason it's impossible to get any TWRP on any DAP. I've looked around in english and japanese and no one seems to root the NW-A105.

Really with root you could just get rid of the Gapps all together, install FDE.AI with Magisk and have a battery life maybe 20x as long as right now. I want the player because it has Android and is tiny - most DAPs are as big as my phone :/
Yes, nova launcher.

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_051226.jpg
    IMG_20200207_051226.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,806 of 3,003

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,809 of 3,003
Bay Bloor is the dealer I was talking about. It is my favorite dealer to demo gear at for sure. Over the last 20 years I must have demoed dozens of headphones their and bought my B&W P5S2's from them and you can haggle with them on price. Unfortunately they are one of the few high end dealers in Toronto that carry DAP's and usually only the the Sony ZX and WM series. They did carry the A35 and some Fiio DAP's a few years ago but now only sell the Sony's higher end models. Headfoneshop on Yonge street carries several DAP's and headphones you can demo but the place is tiny so not ideal.

Still to early to gauge availability, probably looking at 2 to 3 months before it will be available. Canada Computers carries or did carry all the A and ZX Series DAP's off an on so they would be a possibility but usually only special order and their return policy sucks. Gibby Electronics has carried the A series so hopefully they might. You can always order from sony.ca, click on Where To Buy and it takes you to gentec.ca. If Sony offers any kind of price drop gentec will have it.

It really doesn't matter as all dealers will sell it for the same price so you might as well go with amazon. I like to demo my DAP's but none of the usual Sony dealers are close to me and Canada Computers doesn't let you demo products.

I spoke to a Sony sales rep last year and he told me they were looking to make amazon their exclusive online dealer in Canada. So it will be interesting to see if that is true when it becomes available here.

Have you tried the Headfonze shop in Toronto, Charles is great andche has amazing stuff there

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,810 of 3,003
Have you tried the Headfonze shop in Toronto, Charles is great andche has amazing stuff there

Well if you mean headphoneshop :smile_phones:, then yes I have several times. I have demoed several headphones and DAP's there and bought a couple of Fiio DAC/Amps from them. Kind of hard to do a demo there as the shop is so tiny and doubles as a Canada Post shipping depot so it can be pretty busy. I prefer Bay Bloor Radio, been going there for decades, as they have some nice listening rooms and a bigger selection of headphones.

I guess you could buy a DAP from headphoneshop and take it to Bay Bloor Radio to do the demo with their headphones. If you are looking for ZX and WM Sony DAP's then Bay Bloor Radio is the place to go for a great demo experience. This is not a paid endorsement for Bay Bloor Radio :k701smile:

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,811 of 3,003
Hi Folks,

My first post here. Can someone please confirm if the Sony NW-A105 has the usb dac function available? The sony website is silent about it, however I see several reputable online stores have mentioned that usb dac as one of the features for this player.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #1,812 of 3,003
Hi Folks,

My first post here. Can someone please confirm if the Sony NW-A105 has the usb dac function available? The sony website is silent about it, however I see several reputable online stores have mentioned that usb dac as one of the features for this player.
It has been said already multiple times. The walkman can NOT work as a DAC.

It can output audio over USB to external audio interfaces

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,814 of 3,003
Hi Folks,

The older and cheaper A55 has this feature. So if you don't need wifi and streaming the A55 would be the cheapest option to get the USB DAC feature and stay with Sony.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,815 of 3,003
Hello lovely people! Please excuse my newb self, but I just read an Amazon review saying that Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon etc. services cannot store their libraries/offline tracks on the sd card and they will only store those tracks on the device's internal memory that's already been slashed in half by the OS itself. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back