The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,111 of 3,003
I've finished my post with the standby info now (above). For me, no standby issue but don't leave mine in standby anyway.

As a music player of this size I think its great and for me, if using Walkman App the battery life is close to what Sony publish (max 25hrs for mp3's), and for offline Tidal/Spotify/Amazon your looking like 10.5 hrs which again I think is as we would expect with those tracks having extra CPU need to decrypt them.

It was never going to last long live streaming. I haven't tested but expecting maybe 5-6 hours if doing that.

It does what I want, long play time for my own music files and works flawlessly with the Streaming apps. Main concern is those who must have above 24/48 of streamed online/offline music. I can't hear difference if a track plays at 24/48 & 24/44.1 rather than 24/96 or 24/192.

Walkman app plays all my music at native and sounds stunning with my SE846's.

I've not really tested LDAC BT battery times as I really bought this for wired use.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,112 of 3,003
NPX i.MX 8M

What did you turn off to help battery? I've tried everything I knew, nothings worked. The battery is ok if you don't use wifi ot BT but the standby time is horrible.

Works good and sounds great. Besides the battery.

I followed basic privacy and security tips, such as these: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/privacy-settings-chrome-android/

Android seems to try to do many things in the background, which sends data to and fro; it's better to get some control over them; there are also many updates. I hope that helps, it would be a shame if it does have systemic battery problems.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,113 of 3,003
I think if nothing has really used the battery it says usage isn't available. I'm not even sure if the Walkman App doest show its use and the wider Android OS at all ?

Will post 16:30pm update then confirm what I have disabled.

Personally, I will still just keep powering mine off as I always do with DAP's.

Sony should pay me for the work I'm doing in this thread :)

Thanks mate, my battery was at 38% when I got back, I'm not exactly sure how much I had when I left. I'm back out now and it was at 38% for sure. I was gone about an hour and half before. I'll take a pic of my app usage thing. - when I get back again.

I'll buy you a beverage of your choice if I get back to UK :)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,114 of 3,003
I followed basic privacy and security tips, such as these: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/privacy-settings-chrome-android/

Android seems to try to do many things in the background, which sends data to and fro; it's better to get some control over them; there are also many updates. I hope that helps, it would be a shame if it does have systemic battery problems.

Thanx :) I think it gets a bit better with more battery cycles too.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,115 of 3,003
I've finished my post with the standby info now (above). For me, no standby issue but don't leave mine in standby anyway.

As a music player of this size I think its great and for me, if using Walkman App the battery life is close to what Sony publish (max 25hrs for mp3's), and for offline Tidal/Spotify/Amazon your looking like 10.5 hrs which again I think is as we would expect with those tracks having extra CPU need to decrypt them.

It was never going to last long live streaming. I haven't tested but expecting maybe 5-6 hours if doing that.

It does what I want, long play time for my own music files and works flawlessly with the Streaming apps. Main concern is those who must have above 24/48 of streamed online/offline music. I can't hear difference if a track plays at 24/48 & 24/44.1 rather than 24/96 or 24/192.

Walkman app plays all my music at native and sounds stunning with my SE846's.

I've not really tested LDAC BT battery times as I really bought this for wired use.

Streaming will kill it, but I agree it's decent battery life for a thin tiny full featured device. LDAC seems like it's going to run about 8 or 9 hours.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,116 of 3,003
Has anyone tested out the ambient sound mode and noise cancelling functions on the A105? I see these in the specs on Sony's website but I haven't seen anything about how well they work.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,117 of 3,003
Has anyone tested out the ambient sound mode and noise cancelling functions on the A105? I see these in the specs on Sony's website but I haven't seen anything about how well they work.
It only works with a specific set of in ears that arn't sold outside Japan. Go figure!

No use with other headphones/IEM's.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,118 of 3,003
I see. That's too bad. I was hoping that it would enable noise cancelling to any headphone. The A105 still looks like a really nice player that I might decide to order. The battery life is looking very nice. I currently have a Fiio X7 which barely gets me 5 hours now.

Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,119 of 3,003
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,120 of 3,003
It was down to 36% so roughly 1% an hour. Better than it was, but I'd like 2 to 3 % overnight :)

Gonna check settings with psikey and do the reccomend privacy/security stuff

Thanks dudes :)

Got no problem with battery life itself which is quite good, probably 9 to 10 hours using neutron with peq and volume 78ish.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,122 of 3,003

These are all related to chrome then, maybe I will just disable chrome.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,124 of 3,003
Duh! Wrong tab, sorry, more general settings like these: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-privacy-guide/

Thanks again, I guess the problem is I don't know what permissions to deny in which apps. And if that will help standby time anyways. According to the r5 thread allowing all the permissions increased standby time.

I just disabled stuff I won't use like calendar, maps, Google music, etc etc. But the standby can last hours with no loss and then when I use the player after I shut off the screen it can take away 2% in short order. Very erratic.

Weird and I still feel something isn't right with sleep/standby but it seems better.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,125 of 3,003
It only works with a specific set of in ears that arn't sold outside Japan. Go figure!

No use with other headphones/IEM's.
Its not that it needs that specific in ear (which uses IER designation of all things :grin:)
It needs an IEMs with the "Digital ANC" label on its box, specifically ones with 5 poles jack like this
q9wSDA4r.jpg

Theres a couple model that uses this starting from NC-31EM models from 2012 that came with Xperia Z2, To my more recent model of MDR NC750 (came alongside my XZ Premium)
The IER NW-510N is just the latest from the same series.
Why didn't they mention the other models in the list? Probably because they discontinued them.

This specific IEM design (5 poles, mics on each side, source handles the processing of the ANC) also works as a Binaural microphone if you start a recording with them plugged in the H/O, you just need to plug the l/R side into your ears and stay still :grin:

Meaning, you can probably use it to record binaurals (or simple L/R stereo when its out of your ear) on the Walkmans too.

You can buy the older ones, especially the NC31 for dirt cheap in Ebay probs.

Attachments

• 15745802891303187072090008014835.jpg
    15745802891303187072090008014835.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back