The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #962 of 3,003
Overall I'm super impressed with mine, with the only downside being managing the battery as the device is so small.

Almost reminds me of my Sony cassette walkman days - battery life was always a "thing".

Turning the 105 onto airplane mode I get around 12% battery drain in 24 hours which seems fine for always on. Fast charging as someone said is just over an hour. I guess the battery is around 1,250 mAh maximum.

Remember that Tidal and Spotify also use encryption of tracks which their respective apps decrypt on device (in addition to any audio enhancements like MQA etc) hence higher CPU cycles / utilization.

The WiFi part of the SoC doesn't seem particularly energy efficient - there is massive power saving by turning wifi off.

Having as much fun as I did back in 1993 when I got my WM-EX606:
WM-EX606-www.sonyvintage.com_.jpg

It still works with the external AA battery pack :)

The original Ni-Cad NC-6WM battery took a beating from day 1, the internal cell only gave around 3.5 hours of playback even less if you used AMS.

So all in all, loving the 105.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #963 of 3,003
Overall I'm super impressed with mine, with the only downside being managing the battery as the device is so small.

Almost reminds me of my Sony cassette walkman days - battery life was always a "thing".

Turning the 105 onto airplane mode I get around 12% battery drain in 24 hours which seems fine for always on. Fast charging as someone said is just over an hour. I guess the battery is around 1,250 mAh maximum.

Remember that Tidal and Spotify also use encryption of tracks which their respective apps decrypt on device (in addition to any audio enhancements like MQA etc) hence higher CPU cycles / utilization.

The WiFi part of the SoC doesn't seem particularly energy efficient - there is massive power saving by turning wifi off.

Having as much fun as I did back in 1993 when I got my WM-EX606:
WM-EX606-www.sonyvintage.com_.jpg

It still works with the external AA battery pack :)

The original battery took a beating from day 1.

There's some settings in android like permissions for Google play and location when turned on and allowed can improve standby time. Also a firmware update can help, you can just look at apps and see what's using battery on standby. Plus of course after some cycles battery life improves.

And wifi in daps always seems to eat the battery up. I actually had the original walkman model, coming from a transistor radio for mobile music was a joy :)

If you remember way back then Sony was first and then Panasonic came around. But I thought it was the coolest thing to have that gadget hooked to my belt be-bopping around. :) It was amazing you could go forward and reverse! Ha ha

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #965 of 3,003
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #967 of 3,003
Guys,

I might get this one for Xmas.
So some questions:

Is the amp strong enough for headphones os just for iems?

To download spotify songs is there any objection other than space? Card os needed right?

The 40th edition has better specs than the regular one?

Anyone compared it to mojo? I like my mojo a lot.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #969 of 3,003
There is a bug affecting the player in standby mode ..firmware update needed ..I turned everything off ..NFC.., location ,find my device etc..
Turning off ..and on when needed is the best solution for me ..still sounds great though

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #970 of 3,003
There is a bug affecting the player in standby mode ..firmware update needed ..I turned everything off ..NFC.., location ,find my device etc..
Turning off ..and on when needed is the best solution for me ..still sounds great though

Ok on the r5 when you turned that stuff off it used more juice in standby. We were told to turn everything on and allow all permissions on Google- that helped some people (I never had a problem) I guess Google will use more juice trying to get the permissions and lock on a location- I know that sounds dumb but some proples r5's weren't going into proper standby mode (the blue light on the power button wouldn't shut off)

And like I said some people said that fixed it.

Something that you could try in the meantime. Btw what rate of drain are you getting in standby?

Oh and of course it could be something Sony needs to address, like battery saver actually draining battery.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #971 of 3,003
I found this noodling around and I quite liked the info- he compares it with A55 and does a nice job. Since there's not many home brewed vids yet- enjoy.

He said there's quite a bit of sound improvement from A55 as Goody did. So as even A45 was pretty damn nice sounding I'm getting excited.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #972 of 3,003
My portable. No need for bluetooth or remotes :)

Haha used to do that a lot with my diminutive Fiio M3.
Can anyone post another comparison for 105's size? As I don't have an iPhone 5, I also been a while since I handled a Mojo
Maybe a zippo, or a playing card?

Tho at 100grams the weight would probably not disappear like on smaller players like shanling M0 or fiioM3. Front pocket always the better place for such things to live in :grin:

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #973 of 3,003
Haha used to do that a lot with my diminutive Fiio M3.
Can anyone post another comparison for 105's size? As I don't have an iPhone 5, I also been a while since I handled a Mojo
Maybe a zippo, or a playing card?

Tho at 100grams the weight would probably not disappear like on smaller players like shanling M0 or fiioM3. Front pocket always the better place for such things to live in :grin:
It's nearly same size as NW-A55

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #974 of 3,003
Ha ha, you're probably the first one to use the lanyard function on this dap.
He's not alone, I also happen to have a tiny lanyard around my A45 though don't really use it, I just like to have one attached just in case I might accidentally drop the unit

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #975 of 3,003
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back