The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 20, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #976 of 3,003
Have a look at ifi micro iDSD BL various mode (eco, normal and turbo), the correlation between various power and impedance.

Look at turbo mode output - 4000mW@16ohm, when you increase the impedance of the load by 4 (ie to 64ohm), the power output didn't drop by 4 times to 1000mW, instead it is 1560mW. Also for 600ohm using a linear correlation assumption the power output should be 106.67, but the actual output is 166mW, so obviously that's not a linear correlation when operating in turbo mode.

Normal and eco mode seems to have a linear correlation, but since the turbo mode doesn't exhibit a linear relationship thus you can't use that to infer a general law regarding power/impedance calculations. Rather this shows that you need more measurements to understand the actual behaviour of the device itself - because who knows, maybe the Walkman's Class D amp is more like turbo mode where efficiency gets better as load increases, but you can never know unless you measure it or when the manufacturer gives out more numbers.

Nov 20, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #977 of 3,003
There's some settings in android like permissions for Google play and location when turned on and allowed can improve standby time. Also a firmware update can help, you can just look at apps and see what's using battery on standby. Plus of course after some cycles battery life improves.

And wifi in daps always seems to eat the battery up. I actually had the original walkman model, coming from a transistor radio for mobile music was a joy :)

If you remember way back then Sony was first and then Panasonic came around. But I thought it was the coolest thing to have that gadget hooked to my belt be-bopping around. :) It was amazing you could go forward and reverse! Ha ha

Even more reason to avoid android based DAP's. Having to futz around with settings to avoid battery drain. If you aren't planning on installing any apps or using wifi and streaming can you bypass google playstore etc.. to avoid battery drain? I understand that from reading this thread that if you stick with the stock Sony Music app battery life is alot better, can you confirm this?

I can get an A55 from accessoryjack for $290 CDN and free shipping. I have never imported from them before so I am wary of going this route. Especially if it will come to Canada at some point, it would be great if someone from Sony could give a straight answer as to if and when the A55 and or A105 will come to North America. I can still buy the ZX300 but price is way to high. I don't want to have to settle for the A45 if I can even still find it here.

My brother just bought a brand new 75" Sony tv and it died less than a week later. He returned it and got a Samsung 75" tv for less and a much better picture to boot. Definitely not worth paying a premium for the Sony name anymore.

Nov 20, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #978 of 3,003
Even more reason to avoid android based DAP's. Having to futz around with settings to avoid battery drain. If you aren't planning on installing any apps or using wifi and streaming can you bypass google playstore etc.. to avoid battery drain? I understand that from reading this thread that if you stick with the stock Sony Music app battery life is alot better, can you confirm this?

I can get an A55 from accessoryjack for $290 CDN and free shipping. I have never imported from them before so I am wary of going this route. Especially if it will come to Canada at some point, it would be great if someone from Sony could give a straight answer as to if and when the A55 and or A105 will come to North America. I can still buy the ZX300 but price is way to high. I don't want to have to settle for the A45 if I can even still find it here.

My brother just bought a brand new 75" Sony tv and it died less than a week later. He returned it and got a Samsung 75" tv for less and a much better picture to boot. Definitely not worth paying a premium for the Sony name anymore.

If you don't need/want streaming services then buy a DAP with its own OS. The A55 would be much cheaper (or ZX300 a great device with balanced). If just using the A105 offline with WiFi & BT off, playing typically 320kbps mp3's you will get around 25hrs continuous play time with Walkman App.

Not paying for the name, just that Sony DAP's have a unique sound signature compared to others hence the term "The Sony House Sound".

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #980 of 3,003
If you don't need/want streaming services then buy a DAP with its own OS. The A55 would be much cheaper (or ZX300 a great device with balanced). If just using the A105 offline with WiFi & BT off, playing typically 320kbps mp3's you will get around 25hrs continuous play time.

Not paying for the name, just that Sony DAP's have a unique sound signature compared to others hence the term "The Sony House Sound".

By zx300A from joybuy, cheaper and has everything if you don't want antdroid

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #981 of 3,003
I got a message yesterday saying the expected delivery was changed to today- but now it's changed to tomorrow, only took a couple of hours to clear customs though.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #982 of 3,003
Got mine on monday. I'm loving this thing. I do think there is a bug with battery saver tho. I am still kind of experimenting to see what the cause is. I lost 44 percent battery in an hour and then only 10 percent overnight after turning that off.

But I think it sounds great and I love the soft case

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #984 of 3,003
Lol Good eye! Enjoyed the vid Goody :)
Thanks buddy i didnt want to put the video on this thread just to stay neutral really ..just thought i should be a comparison video out there with with the A55

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #985 of 3,003
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #986 of 3,003
Hi guys,anybody compare sound ZX-300 (no balanced input) vs A-105?Thanks in advance.
I think A105 is better than ZX300 SE. Even prefer to ZX300 balanced. Will not drive damanding IEM's/headphones as the ZX300 balanced will.

Avoid EU one as volume may be even lower due to cap (not heard my JP version against EU one).

Even the Japanese version only has similar output power to my Samsung S10+.

Same Spotify song on A105 at 50% is about 48% on S10+ sound matching as best I can swapping my SE846's over.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #987 of 3,003
Thanks buddy i didnt want to put the video on this thread just to stay neutral really ..just thought i should be a comparison video out there with with the A55

Oops sorry :astonished: Still good valid info though and that's what counts.

And of course 'you' didn't put it on here :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #988 of 3,003
Got mine on monday. I'm loving this thing. I do think there is a bug with battery saver tho. I am still kind of experimenting to see what the cause is. I lost 44 percent battery in an hour and then only 10 percent overnight after turning that off.

But I think it sounds great and I love the soft case

What case did you get?

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #989 of 3,003

To note on that claim, Sony still keep the no 1 spot for the best 4K big TV OLED in many awards (Sony A9G) it uses other manufacturer's panel, but the secret sauce? Their processing engine, that, just like Sony's "House Sound" is something uniquely Sony.

They're clearly not behind, tho the gap from what they do to what 2nd and 3rd (heck, even 10th spot like budget offerings from TLC) best offers is wa~~y less than it used to be.
In smartphone? They're trying out new, tall form factor, 21:9.
Camera? The leading innovator for Mirrorless design.

That's the only way brands can stand out in such saturated market these days, offering something different.

Is it worth the premium?
Up to everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #990 of 3,003
What case did you get?

I'd image the official one CKS-NWA100 Sold in all the matching colours
s-l1600.jpg

Waiting for a lower price before I buy or see if something nicer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back