The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,354 of 3,003
Btw. the firmware update URL of the device is http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...tents/0001/NW-A100_0002_V1_01_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG and it does not look like to be region specfic. So the volume limitation is probably triggered by something else. I did not manage to decode the firmware so far.

Edit:
I just found out that replacing 0002 with 0001 is also valid. So it might be two different firmwares

Edit2: The metadata confirms that 0001 is for japanese

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,355 of 3,003
I can confirm that Hi-Res support is limited to the Sony app, at least in the case of BT audio. I followed the instructions in this post.

Every other app except for the Sony one uses an output thread locked at 16/44. The Sony app opens a new track that goes up to DSD sampling rate (2822400 Hz) and also has the AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD flag, which explains why it uses less battery for playback.

Feel free to try out some other apps. I tested Poweramp and Neutron.

Edit: come to think of it, my BTR3 certainly doesn't go up to DSD sampling rate, so the output of the command in that forum post probably doesn't take the actual BT connection into account. But at least it shows that on the Sony app, the audio format isn't limited at mixer stage.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,357 of 3,003
Btw. the firmware update URL of the device is http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...tents/0001/NW-A100_0002_V1_01_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG and it does not look like to be region specfic. So the volume limitation is probably triggered by something else. I did not manage to decode the firmware so far.

Edit:
I just found out that replacing 0002 with 0001 is also valid. So it might be two different firmwares

Edit2: The metadata confirms that 0001 is for japanese

This is awesome! Thanks for looking into this!

I was curious about the Japanese O.S. and decided to download it. I uploaded it into the internal drive of my EU model and hit update in Settings. My walkman updated to the Japanese/non EU version of the O.S.. Started up in Japanese text (not English) and has the "Mora" app. I am probably one of the very few that does not have an issue with the volume of the EU model so I can't tell if the volume limitations changed. I want to say yes but that is probably wishful thinking. Maybe someone with an EU model and that pays more attention than I do is willing to give this a try(?).

Anyway, I still remain pretty pleased with this device. @djselbeck, looking forward to seeing what you find!

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,359 of 3,003
I also was able to install the japanese firmware , thanks for the hint nm626.

Also i am not certain if it makes a difference.

I can hear very silent noises when i change the volume up to 110. Before it was up to 100 (without playing anything)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,360 of 3,003
I can confirm that Hi-Res support is limited to the Sony app, at least in the case of BT audio. I followed the instructions in this post.

Every other app except for the Sony one uses an output thread locked at 16/44. The Sony app opens a new track that goes up to DSD sampling rate (2822400 Hz) and also has the AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD flag, which explains why it uses less battery

Is anyone able to test / confirm if the Tidal MQA (with unpacking) operates well and sounds good?

And if you get a visual display like "96k 24bit" to confirm successful MQA unpack?

Sony boasts Tidal MQA operation. Would be great to have that confirmed before buying.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,362 of 3,003
Is anyone able to test / confirm if the Tidal MQA (with unpacking) operates well and sounds good?

And if you get a visual display like "96k 24bit" to confirm successful MQA unpack?

Sony boasts Tidal MQA operation. Would be great to have that confirmed before buying.

Only thing I can say is that when I play in Tidal in UAPP it shows for example 96/24 (I have UAPP MQA add-on) and can't detect any change in the sound if I play in the Tidal App which just shows MASTER.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #1,363 of 3,003
I am liking the way this is headed.....

Thanks guys!
5128737B-61F0-429B-ABE6-D115850CD5A7.png

I've added my Tidal HiFi account to my 40th Anniversary model, and Masters sound great to my ears. You get a "Master" stamp at the bottom of the now playing screen to designate the mode.

Only thing I can say is that when I play in Tidal in UAPP it shows for example 96/24 (I have UAPP MQA add-on) and can't detect any change in the sound if I play in the Tidal App which just shows MASTER.
5128737B-61F0-429B-ABE6-D115850CD5A7.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back