The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,321 of 3,003
Yes, Bootloader unlock option is available in Developer options.
@djselbeck - You can use ADB to restart into the Bootloader but this just shows the Sony logo. Can't do anything beyond this other than reboot using the power button.

Really needing the EU cap removed.
I have owned WM1A, A45 and A55 before this and was really hoping this would be perfect.
It so nearly is, but the volume at 120 is just too low on every pair of IEMs I have tried.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #1,323 of 3,003
Thanks for this info. I was planning to replace my iPod Touch with an A100 to use for Tidal streaming with my PHA-2A or FiiO Q5S, but I’ll have to reconsider it now. Hoping Tidal eventually gets USB-C out support on A100.

It will if using UAPP app for live streaming Tidal (not offline).

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,326 of 3,003
I'm currently using a FiiO X3 2nd gen, with a FiiO A5 amp and the Focal Elear.
I'm thinking about upgrading my player and this new Sony one caught my eye. Main reason being WiFi functionality because I also want to listen to my stuff on Amazon music etc.

There aren't really any reviews online, so I ask the guys here who own it:

How is the sound quality on higher end headphones? Would it be an upgrade compared to the likes of a FiiO X3?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,327 of 3,003
I'm currently using a FiiO X3 2nd gen, with a FiiO A5 amp and the Focal Elear.
I'm thinking about upgrading my player and this new Sony one caught my eye. Main reason being WiFi functionality because I also want to listen to my stuff on Amazon music etc.

There aren't really any reviews online, so I ask the guys here who own it:

How is the sound quality on higher end headphones? Would it be an upgrade compared to the likes of a FiiO X3?

Thanks in advance.

It won't drive many High End headphones. High End IEM's yes, beautifully.

Playing your own HD FLAC in the Walkman app will get your around 16hrs (with WiFi/BT/NFC off).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,328 of 3,003
It won't drive many High End headphones. High End IEM's yes, beautifully. If your live streaming the likes of Tidal or Amazon HD don't expect more that 8hrs battery life. Playing tracks offline in Tidal/Amazon HD gives just over 10hr solid playback.

Yeah I've read that its not very powerful. But I'm using a portable amp, the FiiO A5. I think it should be enough. Nice effect of a portable amp is that it also increases battery life of the dap by a significant amount.

I'm just curious if the sound quality on high-end headphones will be on par with other dedicated daps.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,329 of 3,003
Yeah I've read that its not very powerful. But I'm using a portable amp, the FiiO A5. I think it should be enough. Nice effect of a portable amp is that it also increases battery life of the dap by a significant amount.

I'm just curious if the sound quality on high-end headphones will be on par with other dedicated daps.

How are you feeding the amp? USB out or headphone out. A105 has no line out setting, but you can turn the volume up and then use the amp. The 'base' sound is really good, very clear- better than the Fiio. Just limited in power, it should sound very good.

I believe you could use digital out from the usb also - although someone said it drains the battery like money from my bank account:wink: Very fast!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,331 of 3,003
Thanks for this info. I was planning to replace my iPod Touch with an A100 to use for Tidal streaming with my PHA-2A or FiiO Q5S, but I’ll have to reconsider it now. Hoping Tidal eventually gets USB-C out support on A100.

Actually, I may have spoken too soon. I found that I can in fact, get Tidal (or any streaming app) to output to my PHA-3. (Haven't tried the TA-ZH1ES yet, but I'm sure it's the same).

However, there is a bit of a trick to it. You can't already have had the music player (walkman app) agree to connect to the device first, or it won't be able to output (kind of like exclusive mode on a pc or direct mode).

If however, you go into your streaming app.... turn off the power of the amp and turn back on, and then hit cancel when it comes up with the modal about connecting the walkman app (?) to usb output.... it will work.

So it's a little weird in use but it's possible. Interestingly, it lights up the "Hi-Fs" light on the PHA-3 on a 16 bit /44.1 khz flac on tidal ("Hi-fi") which I was not expecting, so perhaps it's doing some upsampling ? *edit* It looks like it is always outputting 24/96 regardless of the music file for tidal over usb.

https://postimg.cc/4YsYj7sZ

Sorry for the screwed up image. This forum software is a bit buggy and won't let me edit it now. Apologies for dust, scan lines, etc.
4YsYj7sZ

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,332 of 3,003
At the moment I am using wma105+tinhifi2pro and thinking to add other iem under 50 euros with different character any recommendations?

I listen mostly instrumental music. Thanks.

I haven't used iems under 50 but have used some in the $80-100 range. I've been using both Fiio FA1 and iBasso IT01 for several months and really enjoy them. I lean more towards the IT01 because they have a bit more bass (FA1 are bit more flat/neutral). I am using an EU model A105 and both iems work very well. I hardly ever need to use volumes over 90 for those.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,333 of 3,003
At the moment I am using wma105+tinhifi2pro and thinking to add other iem under 50 euros with different character any recommendations?

I listen mostly instrumental music. Thanks.

I've heard the BLON 3 are really nice for 40 bucks. Might try them myself, I guess they're small and have a somewhat shallow fit though.

Check out HBB's YouTube channel Bad Guy good audio he always has top 5 chi fi lists with quite a few under 50 bucks.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,334 of 3,003
The Blons are really uncomfortable, unless you have small ears. You have to really find the correct tips for them and it's not easy.

They have a kind of nice shiny sheen to their treble, a wide soundstage and I thought their mids were a little recessed. Bass was average, but maybe my seal wasn't great.

A bit of a pain to wear. Good for the price but there are far better IEMs out there under 200 dollars IMO. You're gonna need to buy tips and a worthwhile cable for them so they're a little more expensive than they look.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,335 of 3,003
I haven't used iems under 50 but have used some in the $80-100 range. I've been using both Fiio FA1 and iBasso IT01 for several months and really enjoy them. I lean more towards the IT01 because they have a bit more bass (FA1 are bit more flat/neutral). I am using an EU model A105 and both iems work very well. I hardly ever need to use volumes over 90 for those.

I've heard the BLON 3 are really nice for 40 bucks. Might try them myself, I guess they're small and have a somewhat shallow fit though.

Check out HBB's YouTube channel Bad Guy good audio he always has top 5 chi fi lists with quite a few under 50 bucks.

The Blons are really uncomfortable, unless you have small ears. You have to really find the correct tips for them and it's not easy.

They have a kind of nice shiny sheen to their treble, a wide soundstage and I thought their mids were a little recessed. Bass was average, but maybe my seal wasn't great.

A bit of a pain to wear. Good for the price but there are far better IEMs out there under 200 dollars IMO. You're gonna need to buy tips and a worthwhile cable for them so they're a little more expensive than they look.

Thanks a lot now checking!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back