The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,502 of 3,003
Just bought the player. Have to say, loving it!

However, has anyone experienced any problems with the 3.5 mm Jack? Noticed my iems arent snug whilst plugged into it. It spins loosely.

Mines not loose but not tight either. Not had any connection issues.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,504 of 3,003
For 100 bucks and more power it probably will be an idea partner with a105. I like the wider stage and fullness of the r3 pro. But the a105 still has more depth and clarity.

Hard to decide on which one I like more overall because the Sony also has better bluetooth performance over the r3 pro.

Got the official case today, pretty nice.
Which case is that! Can't find it anywhere

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #1,506 of 3,003
If you forget about the numbers and downsampling and just listen, you will discover it sounds better than most daps.

Don't let the android downsampling worry you, as psikey says it sounds bloody brilliant despite that.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #1,507 of 3,003
Ok cool! Just concerned. A tiny push moves the cable easily. But no connection issues so far.

It's the type of jack Sony uses. If you look inside you will see the locking mechanism is different from your standard 3.5 jack. It's like the old ipod jacks, probably a better quality too. So no worries there, mine turns freely also.

Oh and give it a week for the battery to condition and disable any apps you don't need and location based nonsense to save battery. And using the Sony app helps too- instead of say poweramp and such.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,508 of 3,003
If you forget about the numbers and downsampling and just listen, you will discover it sounds better than most daps.

Don't let the android downsampling worry you, as psikey says it sounds bloody brilliant despite that.

That's what I've been hoping for based on what I've read so far. My ears are getting older so I doubt I can notice any difference after resampling (assuming I truly heard a difference before). I doubt I could even notice a difference between an album sampled at 44kHz vs. 192kHz anymore (or ever?). I've realized that the the biggest differentiator in quality (in my opinion) comes from the mastering of the album than the sample rate.

Anyways, today's going to be a long day at work since I have to wait until after 1pm to pick up my A105 from the post office since I wasn't home yesterday when the mail courier delivered it. I just can't wait to pick it up. :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,509 of 3,003
That's what I've been hoping for. My ears are getting older so I doubt I can notice any difference after resampling (assuming I truly heard a difference before). I doubt I could even notice a difference between an album sampled at 44kHz vs. 192kHz anymore (or ever?). I've realized that the the biggest differentiator in quality (in my opinion) comes from the mastering of the album than the sample rate.

Anyways, today's going to be a long day at work since I have to wait until after 1pm to pick up my A105 from the post office since I wasn't home yesterday when the mail courier delivered it. I just can't wait to pick it up. :)

I don't think any human could notice the difference lol. It's more a psychological thing. And your right, mastering of the album is more important, I have 320 and 192 stuff that still sounds fantastic. Trust me it's a fantastic sounding little dap, as long as you're not trying to drive anything demanding it's really nice. It has a very deep 3d stage and the seperation and placement of instruments is superb. It's so clear sounding but not too thin or too neutral. Sony magic :wink:

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,510 of 3,003
Hi,
I intends to buy the A105TPS and I have a few question:
- Does the SenseMe function still available on this? Sony removed it on their android phone and I used that extensively.
- Can I use the USB DAC function on this? Some preview said that Sony removed that function.
Thanks.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,512 of 3,003
At the moment I am using wma105+tinhifi2pro and thinking to add other iem under 50 euros with different character any recommendations?

I listen mostly instrumental music. Thanks.
if its instrumental i'd recommend TTR Shizuku (uses Ocharaku design) or Final Audio Adagio V. other than that... there's a ton of Chi Fi with prominent mids lately, HBB's vids cover a lot of them.
Fullsize? Audio Technica's AD1000x is the Queen of Mids.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,513 of 3,003
Hi,
I intends to buy the A105TPS and I have a few question:
- Does the SenseMe function still available on this? Sony removed it on their android phone and I used that extensively.
- Can I use the USB DAC function on this? Some preview said that Sony removed that function.
Thanks.
no, Sony discontinued that feature years ago in early ver of Android, it seems they met a hiccup in its functionality being unable to group up songs as good as they'd like, the widely varied audio formats other than mp3s out there that Android support also doesn't help. you can still download an apk of the music app with it included somewhere out there but its only compatible with very old android.
I'm saddened by this also, used them a lot in my PSP way back when too.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,514 of 3,003
I don’t understand the concept/usage case as it will not stream high res 24bit/192khz? Better off using phone and Audioquest Cobalt.
I’m having a15 with DAC PHA-1A and listen to music using SenseMe but I also want to stream music from Spotify. Since I don’t want to plug and unplug the headphone many times a day to switch between the walkman and phone ,I intend to upgrade to the A100 but I don’t know if the SenseMe feature still available (the only reason that I still stick to Sony) and can be able to output to the DAC. I don’t subscribe to any Hi-res streaming service so not be able to output hi res while streaming is not an issue with me. I read in other topic ppl say that on the zx500 you can output to DAC using sony app.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,515 of 3,003
no, Sony discontinued that feature years ago in early ver of Android, it seems they met a hiccup in its functionality being unable to group up songs as good as they'd like, the widely varied audio formats other than mp3s out there that Android support also doesn't help. you can still download an apk of the music app with it included somewhere out there but its only compatible with very old android.
I'm saddened by this also, used them a lot in my PSP way back when too.
Thank. Base on my research they only support up to android lollipop. May be I should look around for an used ZX2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back