The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,486 of 3,003
Out of the box impression. Player itself is a bit larger than I expected and not pleased they used a plastic tray for the packaging :angry: and the clip holder looks like thin brittle plastic. Should have put a lanyard hole on the player itself.

Build of the BTR5 itself looks quality.

And to initial impressions on SQ over LDAC (Best quality) form my Sony A105 :astonished:

We really are at a point where you can drop the wire. Sounds fantastic over SE or balanced with my SE846's.

Much better than the BTR3 and holds a signal over BT even when I'm two rooms away with walls between me and the DAP. I couldn't reliably use the BTR3 because even having my body in the way interrupted the signal.

Keeping this, but trouble now I have three great sounding devices with the DFC, A105, BTR5.

White is Balance, Black is SE

Can only have the volume on 19 on the BTR5 with my SE846's (A105 BT is max).​

I knew that thing would sound tits. Fiio knows amps, and that's a nice little amp with 2 really good dacs and some really good chips for 100 duckets. Might gift one to myself for Yule :)

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,487 of 3,003
Out of the box impression. Player itself is a bit larger than I expected and not pleased they used a plastic tray for the packaging :angry: and the clip holder looks like thin brittle plastic. Should have put a lanyard hole on the player itself.

Build of the BTR5 itself looks quality.

And to initial impressions on SQ over LDAC (Best quality) form my Sony A105 :astonished:

We really are at a point where you can drop the wire. Sounds fantastic over SE or balanced with my SE846's.

Much better than the BTR3 and holds a signal over BT even when I'm two rooms away with walls between me and the DAP. I couldn't reliably use the BTR3 because even having my body in the way interrupted the signal.

Keeping this, but trouble now I have three great sounding devices with the DFC, A105, BTR5.

White is Balance, Black is SE

Can only have the volume on 19 on the BTR5 with my SE846's (A105 BT is max).​
I was looking at the BTR5 i suspect it will have more power than the A105 ...is it neutral sounding or does it have the lush sound of the sony ?...I had the BTR3 and i liked it a lot is it similar ?

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,488 of 3,003
I was looking at the BTR5 i suspect it will have more power than the A105 ...is it neutral sounding or does it have the lush sound of the sony ?...I had the BTR3 and i liked it a lot is it similar ?

Not as lush as Sony but not neutral or clinical either. A whole lot better than the BTR3 to my ears but only used with SE846. Plenty of power for headphones I believe.

Used as a DAC with PC sounds good too.

Key for me is stable connection, even over distance but have read others reported opposite so may be build quality issues. Mine is fine.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,489 of 3,003
20191210_115105.jpg
20191210_115117.jpg
20191210_115127.jpg
20191210_115057.jpg
For 100 bucks and more power it probably will be an idea partner with a105. I like the wider stage and fullness of the r3 pro. But the a105 still has more depth and clarity.

Hard to decide on which one I like more overall because the Sony also has better bluetooth performance over the r3 pro.

Got the official case today, pretty nice.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,490 of 3,003
So, I was able to pickup a Tin Audio P1 and use it with my A100.

Now that is a very cool IEM. It's a planar magnetic driver so I knew it would be difficult to drive, and it is.

It does not really get to adequate volumes on the Sony at 120 volume. You have to drive it at 120.

Even with a PHA-3, it struggles to be driven at the usual volumes. I generally listen too loud, maybe but it is just

not a headphone that gets very loud. I can take it to max volume on the PHA-3 and I notice a little distortion, so even

it's maximum volume is to me, not very loud.

However, it does sound absolutely incredible, truly unique sounding amongst all my IEMs.

I definately think tho that it requires a portable headphone amp to truly shine, although I still enjoyed it with the A100.

Soundstage and holography in particular are great for an IEM in it's price range.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,491 of 3,003
If there is anyone who wants to sell a a105 feel free to pm me.

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,492 of 3,003
Going to order the BTR5 the BTR3 I had I really liked it ..I put my A105 up for sale on eBay I am going to take it down and wait for the R3Pro to arrive and have an overall play of them all
Bluetooth on the A105 is very good sounding better than my A55 ..

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,493 of 3,003
So, I was able to pickup a Tin Audio P1 and use it with my A100.

Now that is a very cool IEM. It's a planar magnetic driver so I knew it would be difficult to drive, and it is.

It does not really get to adequate volumes on the Sony at 120 volume. You have to drive it at 120.

Even with a PHA-3, it struggles to be driven at the usual volumes. I generally listen too loud, maybe but it is just

not a headphone that gets very loud. I can take it to max volume on the PHA-3 and I notice a little distortion, so even

it's maximum volume is to me, not very loud.

However, it does sound absolutely incredible, truly unique sounding amongst all my IEMs.

I definately think tho that it requires a portable headphone amp to truly shine, although I still enjoyed it with the A100.

Soundstage and holography in particular are great for an IEM in it's price range.

TBH I think that particular iem sounds best with an amp, a tube amp is really nice. It kind of gives it more body.

I had it and used it with R5 or dx220 can't remember lol. But I had to crank it up to get a good bass response and even then it wasn't quite enough for me.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,494 of 3,003
Going to order the BTR5 the BTR3 I had I really liked it ..I put my A105 up for sale on eBay I am going to take it down and wait for the R3Pro to arrive and have an overall play of them all
Bluetooth on the A105 is very good sounding better than my A55 ..

Yep the bluetooth on the 105 is really rock solid. I'm not selling mine and that's one of the reasons. The r3p sometimes is steady on bluetooth, but other times it can be like Adam sander in waterboy

Mmmmmmmmoma says mmmmmoma says mmmmmmoooma says :)

Plus on some stuff it just sounds incredible despite not having a ton of power. I'm listening to oli silk on Amazon music HD with just a touch of the Sony eq and it's to die for.

I know I'd regret it if I sold it.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,495 of 3,003
Yep the bluetooth on the 105 is really rock solid. I'm not selling mine and that's one of the reasons. The r3p sometimes is steady on bluetooth, but other times it can be like Adam sander in waterboy

Mmmmmmmmoma says mmmmmoma says mmmmmmoooma says :)

Plus on some stuff it just sounds incredible despite not having a ton of power. I'm listening to oli silk on Amazon music HD with just a touch of the Sony eq and it's to die for.

I know I'd regret it if I sold it.
Yep taken it off now

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,496 of 3,003
Yep taken it off now

I think that's a good move until you check out r3p. The bluetooth is weird on it. Yesterday I used BT on it for a couple of hours and it was fine.

Today I tried to use it and it kept breaking up (maybe more interference today?) Anyways grabbed the Sony and no problems. Another small thing I noticed about bluetooth in my vehicle is the r3p can sometimes take 20 to 30 seconds to connect with my deck. The Sony always connects right away.

And the r3p has bluetooth 5 chip, idk maybe it has a weak antenna or shielding or it needs a firmware tweak for BT. I was going to list mine today, but I use BT quite a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #1,497 of 3,003
TBH I think that particular iem sounds best with an amp, a tube amp is really nice. It kind of gives it more body.

I had it and used it with R5 or dx220 can't remember lol. But I had to crank it up to get a good bass response and even then it wasn't quite enough for me.

A guy earlier in the thread asked about if it was usable. I would report that it is, but barely.

I admit I do like the smoothness of planar vs dynamic tho. Its bass isn’t a strong point but it is quite pleasant for vocals and seals well and is comfy (memory foam). My AS16 doesnt have great bass either.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,499 of 3,003
I have tried the M9 as a computer DAC, a bluetooth receiver with the Fiio Link feature on my smartphone and it works great for both functions. DLNA took some trial and error but that works now for me and the M9 supports Airplay though I don't have any apple devices to try it with.

How well do the additional features on the A105 work?

Thanks for promoting Fiio product here. But I have nightmare with Fiio X5 III's firmware, initially, it's good, after few update firmware, it getting slower/lagging, and sold it and never regret.

I am happy with my Sony WM1A and their firmware is marvelously stable and not frequently update as Fiio ... I hope your M9 don't have such issue over time.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,500 of 3,003
Sony ZX507 questions.
  1. Does it support TIDAL HIFI?
  2. On the spec it states MQA supported, so will it play TIDAL MASTERS?
  3. Will it drive Sony MDR-Z1R?
1. TIDAL HiFi App works fine
2. It plays all Tidal tracks inc. MQA tracks but we don't think it does it without Android audio converting to 16/48. Not sure on the MQA's themselves*. Sounds bloody great anyway.
3. others need to answer this

* Reason I say this is that on the V30 phone it also converted standard FLAC files to 16/48 but the MQA's correctly.

Safe thing to say at the moment is if you have to have your streaming service music played bit-perfect then avoid the Sony's. If you're not hung up on bits & focus more on what your hearing you will love the new ZX & A series for both your own files & streamed music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back