The SkeletonDAC
Mar 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #17 of 222
This is awesome! I made a GrubDAC that I installed internally on my EeePC to make up for the subpar onboard sound but I've obbously had to carry around an externa amp whenever I wanted to use my headphones. Not so practical. Since this board has the same footprint I'd definitely be interested in swapping it out.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 222
There is a few prototype boards on there way from the US up to me.

When I get them, I will offer then out to interested parties.  One part that needs to be tested as I don't have the right stuff is the "DAC in your DAC so you can convert your digital stream while convert your digital stream" as nikongod put it.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 222
I'm looking forward to doing this one as well as the pup dac.  I will be curious to see what difference it makes as a converter to another dac.  Hopefully all goes well and it makes things better.  I'm planning to do a gamma2 in the next month or two and will be able to do a little comparison.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 222
Okay gentlemen, I have a BOM:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630887/SkeletonDAC-r1-bom-a.xls

The BOM list multiple choices for the output caps, depending upon your preference.  I have not put the case on the BOM, but it fits the Hammond 1551H.  If you are using the Hammond case, you need to watch your output cap height - approx 10mm is max.

And I have 6 boards to give away as prototypes.

Rules are similar to what I did with the pupDAC:
  1. One board only per person
  2. $5 CDN shipping to anywhere in the world

Looking back at the thread, the following 5 expressed interest, leaving one board
    Armaegis
    nikongod
    c12mech
    onyu
    RedLeader

My only criteria is that I'm looking for a least one build of either a SPDIF or Full build, as I don't have the right stuff to test this myself.  That means until I hear what the people on the list intend on building, the last board available will go to someone who expresses that they will build and test the digital out.

If those that have expressed interest can confirm continued interest and build type, either in the forum or PM, we can get this moving along. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #22 of 222
I would be willing to do a full build and have another SP/DIF input DAC (DIR9001,PCM1793,LT1364) I can test the output with.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #26 of 222
I don't need the SPDIF out (I've got a udac2 kicking around) so I'll be doing a more barebones build.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 222
I just finished going through the bom and have some questions since the schematic does not have values for components. 

C11 says 10uf, p/n listed is 22uf
C6 says 100uf, p/n listed is 220uf
R3,R4 says 22 ohm, p/n is 22.1 ohm

Just want to know about these before I order.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #28 of 222
I'd be willing to try the full build. That said, I'm still kinda new at all this, so if an experienced builder wants the spot I don't mind being bumped.

Quote:
Any chance of a group buy for the BOM?

I'm in for this.

p.s. interested in the digikey BOM as well.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #29 of 222
So Avro Arrow has offered to do the full build, so everyone else that was on the list need not worry.  If you are on the list in post #21, can you please confirm or deny participation to me?  Best way to confirm participation to me  is to PM me your mailing address (formatted so I can just print it out and tape it to the envelope) and the e-mail address I can send the Paypal request for the shipping.  Also let me know if you don't want to participate as there are others that are interested.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #30 of 222

Quote:
I just finished going through the bom and have some questions since the schematic does not have values for components. 

C11 says 10uf, p/n listed is 22uf
C6 says 100uf, p/n listed is 220uf
R3,R4 says 22 ohm, p/n is 22.1 ohm

Just want to know about these before I order.

C6 is a bulk capacitor for the board.  Largest value that fits is a good choice.  100uF is a guideline, but the 220uF listed is chosen as biggest that fits the case.
R3,R4 - termination resistors on the USB data lines.  There is a range of acceptable values
C11 - decoupling for the common voltage in the DAC.  10uF is datasheet, IIRC, but I'd read that the large value helps improve performance, which is why the part is spec'ed as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back