The Sennhieser HD600 Appreciation Thread
Sep 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Digital-Pride

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, since the original thread has been locked, I thought I start a new one.  Let's keep the cable, objective vs subjective, and other dead horse debates to a minimum.  This thread should provide a resource to those who have and or looking for advice on the HD600.  And of course for us to dote and bask in the awesomeness that is the HD600.  So I mark this thread with this pic.

Let the appreciation begin...again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Cool, I just got my HD600's from Amazon UK after reading chunks of the last thread, and a few other places.

Mine are clearly refurbs (got a nice discount from Amazon though), with the white mesh - and I immediately didn't like them at all :).

Well, I've only tried them about 30mins, driven by my Emu 1616m breakout box.  Others have said that's a decent enough combo, we'll see what happens with other sources.  To me they're not warm, analytical or exciting enough - at least in the way I expected (I'm used to good studio monitors and my trusty old KSC-75's).

But, I'm pretty sure I will warm to them.  I'll try some solid burn-in - whatever you think of that, you also definitely have to burn your ears in too.  And I need neutral and balanced as I want them mainly for mixing on, so 'enjoyable' isn't my main priority.

We'll see, I'll report back.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I used to use my 600's simply through my soundcard's (Apogee Duet) HP-output , but I recently bought a Lyr 2. There was slight improvement - the subs got a bit stronger and the mid-bass hump is pretty much gone. I tried them with the stock preamp tubes and LISST's, which were just a hair brighter. Not a big difference there.

HD600 is my reference in neutrality among headphones when checking my mixes. They do neutrality great with a non-fatiguing sound too, which is one great accomplishment. For pure listening enjoyment my now sold HD650's were better, but the LCD-2.1's trumped even those quite clearly for pure pleasure. I used to own K701's too, which are considered by many to be nice for mixing/mastering too, but they are nowhere as nice to listen for a long while. That treble & upper mids are just way too hot for that. Also they had a bad case of "bass deficiency".

So yeah, HD600's are a true classic. There aren't many headphones this old that still compete with the best of them. Maybe some Beyers? AKG has kind of dropped the ball in the bass department, imo.

If they were released today they'd have some stupidly expensive-looking design choices and extras - they'd cost +1000 bucks, I'm sure. (Looking at the HD800S 
biggrin.gif
) Here in the EU-zone they are often about 300e, which is a great price. I bought mine used with new pads for 160e. It's sometimes good to live in Europe, at least we get some cheap Senns! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's my pair, cool to see HD600 still get the respect they deserve!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back