The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Feb 19, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #2,056 of 2,918
Mm...that was a joke. To me it doesn't matter whether he is rich or average joe. It is immaterial. He has the HE 1!!

I agree. TBH I am so obsessed with music reproduction I would buy the system in an instant if I had the discretionary bundle. Obviously would need to pitch it against my 009 and Carbon and Audio Note DAC first mind, and if it was a big leap ahead, then yeah, get the CC out for sure....

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,058 of 2,918
Got a second try of the Orpheus yesterday.

Had the same setup - HTC One M7 connected via USB, foobar2000, uncompressed FLAC CD rips, but different songs.. though they should be around the same mastering quality as several songs I listened to last time. They sounded quite different from the last time I tried them, but I think I know why...

My first go at it, my session was actually pulled back at a bit as a "reviewer" had an extended listen to them. The headphones were quite "warmed up" by the time I wore them.

Yesterday, I pretty much played music a few seconds after the boot sequence. The patron claimed there isn't much, if any at all, difference on the whole warming up thing.

At first I thought of the HE-1 as a 「perfected HD600 with probably the best bass of all headphones」. Second time around, it's more of an 「HD800S with a slightly tamer highs and surreal, in a good way, imaging」. Soundstage was pretty much the same, but I'm not really a soundstage person so it's alright.

There are A LOT of variables in play here, but I'm curious about this. Anyone else got to try it both fresh and warmed up?

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #2,059 of 2,918
first a big thanks to sennheiser for the first class service getting a private listening session with the orpheus. i could listen to my own music wihtout time limit (was at the end two hours). about your question, i had the impression that the music flow was better after some minutes.

my expectations where high, so many of you have their wow moments. i have different deskop settings at home and listen to them every day at least for a hour. most of the time its either a auralic-yggdrasil-blue hawai-sr009 or a auralic-yggdrasil-ksa5-focal utopia setting. for the sr009 the tricky part for my was to have "some meet on the bone" sound, the sr009 is a airy sounding headphone with a extraordinary resolution, sound to light with a stax srm727. with my settings it's great but a bit on the lighter "airy" side. the focal has less resolution but plenty enough to get deep in to the music (with the sr009 sometimes you hear to much details, out of 100 recodings 3 are perfect/very good recorded/produced (try susan wong)). the utopias have this dynamic punch that i love and for the sr009 it's not always easy to deliver that especially when you listen with a low or moderate volume.

now the orpheus, i used the internal dac, a 8 times sabre es9018 chips. the resolution of this dac was good but not as good as the yggdrasil (or hugo) with the sr009 but a tad more details then with the utopia. so i think anyone who owns a orpheus should get also a great dac.

the overall character of the orpheus system leans more to my utopia setting then the stax setting. for me that was the best part, it's a electrostatic system that plays very organic, natural with great dynamics, superb vibrato, it's made first to enjoy the music and then to analyse it. soundstage was good and deep, a bit wider then the sr009 but not as deep/holographic; similar to the utopia. the utopias are great because they goes very linear down to the deepest bass regions, the orpheus delivers the same authority over the fq spectrum, the sr009 goes as deep but lighter on deepbass (but with a extra resolution). i have the impression that the tubes add a tiny bit of character to the sound, more then the blue hawaii, would rate my stax setting more neutral (i see the measured fq chart for this orpheus system (no13) and it shows down in the bass +1.5/2 db mids 0 db hights -1.5db). so overall it's for me the bigger brother of the focal or even the better trained twin, they have a lot in common. i would rate the stax system technical higher vs orpheus with the sabre dac (only linearity in the deepbass not as good), similar musicality, orpheus has that extra vibrato that i really like, first time i hear this so good with a electrostatic system. with a better dac i think the orpheus could win some more quality (resolution and better holographic stage), i think with a bette dac the orpheus and the sr009/blue hawai are quite equal, orpheus in front with his musicallity/linearity, the stax with his ultra resolution.

i must say that the amp is beautiful crafted, could not get better. the plastic parts on the headphone don't feel like 54k eur, would be nice if they used some premium material for it (carbon like the utopias). headphone fits nice, not to heavy, fine pressure, they get mild warm at the side because the electronics inside. you can chose how the buttoms and cover of the tubes are made off (gold is an option) and free choice of the stone (you can bring a sample) adds 5k to the price, standard is only white.

the orpheus is more a piece of art then a audio component, it needs a lot of time (try and error) to have a headphone system that sound as well as the sennheiser, so you pay the price for a complete system that was masterly fine tuned, absolutely fine for high-net-worth individuals looking for a "to go" system. i would like to see a more versitail system from sennheiser, a baby orpheus with stax plug. i let big speaker system go because i want to have multiple headphones / amplifers at hand to get the right sound for my mood at this hour, the perfect headphones does not exist in my world.

so we'll see if the orpheus catch my dreams the comming nights :wink:, at the end it's a better investment then a car (from a depreciation view).

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,060 of 2,918

i think with a better dac the orpheus and the sr009/blue hawai are quite equal, orpheus in front with his musicallity/linearity, the stax with his ultra resolution.

Good review. My impression was very similar. If the Orpheus 2 and the SR-009/BHSE were the same price and you could chose one or the other based on sound, which would it be? I love my SR-009/BHSE combo, but I'd get the Orpheus 2, no question.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,061 of 2,918
i would also chose the orpheus 2, as much i like the blue hawaii and sr009 for their technically purity i learned with this system that musicallity comes first (not hearing the last details, they are often noise or distortions). it was not easy to let the sr009 swing :wink:, the yggdrasil was very important, with the hugo it was to steril. since i have the sr009/blue hawai i'm thinking of adding a avalon ad2055 equalizer (don't bring me to the stake for this :wink:) to add a little extra bass, the orpheus 2 and the focal utopias linearity are fantastic.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,064 of 2,918
  Other than paying straight cash for this system, would there be any other way to buy it? 

Other than running off with it when nobody is looking?

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,065 of 2,918
  Other than paying straight cash for this system, would there be any other way to buy it? 

??? Like $50 per month minimum payment, no money down and 0.00% apr, right?
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #2,067 of 2,918

??? Like $50 per month minimum payment, no money down and 0.00% apr, right?
biggrin.gif

Sounds reasonable, you will pay it off in 83.3 years, no problem.

Seriously though, and I have not heard the HE-1 yet (will this year) quite what you are NOT getting with a more affordable high end set-up I am unsure. Yes the HE-1 probably is the absolute best HP ever made to date. But I would hazard a guess the DAC in it isn't. And so my thought process is, the amp and HP are fantastic and system tuned to sound marvellous. BUT a Stax 009 and the T2 or Carbon BHSE inc NOS tunes can also sound marvellous. Enter a good DAC which will play a big role in that sound and 'maybe' you won't loose as much as you think?

Lets look at a popular 009 setup, rough UK prices:

1. Yggy DAC 2K
2. BHSE inc NOS tubes  or DIY Carbon = 3 - 5K
3. Stax 009s = 3.7K
Total = 10.7K

HE-1 = 35K

The other thing to consider in all of this is IMO, even after spending 35K on the HE-1 that isn't the end of it. You will still need a solid and optimised server or PC to feed the internal DAC. Pumping raw USB straight out of a basic iMac as in the demo would not IMO be the best source. So you need a server at another 3K+. Not much extra if you have 35K but still extras to get the best out of the system. And even if I bought the HE-1 myself, I would of course want an external DAC of my own choice.

Other DACs offering comparable or better performance will inflate the total obviously. But you get my drift. If money is an issue at all my view is go 009s.

However, if I had the money (discretionally cash) I would buy the HE-1 for sure, even though I imagine it is possibly only 'slightly' ahead of the best 009 setups.
TBH I am hoping that is the case, as IMO once you hear something really amazing in this hobby, you are ruined forever if you can't afford it!

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,068 of 2,918

Seriously though, and I have not heard the HE-1 yet (will this year) quite what you are NOT getting with a more affordable high end set-up I am unsure. Yes the HE-1 probably is the absolute best HP ever made to date. But I would hazard a guess the DAC in it isn't. And so my thought process is, the amp and HP are fantastic and system tuned to sound marvellous. BUT a Stax 009 and the T2 or Carbon BHSE inc NOS tunes can also sound marvellous. Enter a good DAC which will play a big role in that sound and 'maybe' you won't loose as much as you think?

1. Yggy DAC 2K
3. Stax 009s = 3.7K
Total = 10.7K

HE-1 = 35K

The other thing to consider in all of this is IMO, even after spending 35K on the HE-1 that isn't the end of it. You will still need a solid and optimised server or PC to feed the internal DAC. Pumping raw USB straight out of a basic iMac as in the demo would not IMO be the best source. So you need a server at another 3K+. Not much extra if you have 35K but still extras to get the best out of the system. And even if I bought the HE-1 myself, I would of course want an external DAC of my own choice.

Other DACs offering comparable or better performance will inflate the total obviously. But you get my drift. If money is an issue at all my view is go 009s.

However, if I had the money (discretionally cash) I would buy the HE-1 for sure, even though I imagine it is possibly only 'slightly' ahead of the best 009 setups.
TBH I am hoping that is the case, as IMO once you hear something really amazing in this hobby, you are ruined forever if you can't afford it!

I found the tonality of the HE-1s pretty close to my SRX Plus/Stax SR007 MkII with port mod, which would decrease the cost further.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,070 of 2,918

1. Yggy DAC 2K
3. Stax 009s = 3.7K
Total = 10.7K

HE-1 = 35K

I found the tonality of the HE-1s pretty close to my SRX Plus/Stax SR007 MkII with port mod, which would decrease the cost further.

I agree with JimL11. I have heard the HE1 once at Tokyo headphone festival. it sounds like 007/HD650. not like ultra revealing 009.
so I am not so impressed with the HE1 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back