The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,576 of 2,918
you make a lot of assumptions about people's motivations for buying luxury products that you are unlikely to own yourself. i wouldn't presume to know why someone of means would buy a bugatti or an orpheus 2 but I suspect that there could be other reasons besides "showing off".

Actually, no - I said that people would buy an orpheus for their own enjoyment - NOT to impress people.

Many buyers of expensive luxury cars ARE just trying to show off though IMO.  Take a porsche 4wd for example.  Is anyone going to take a porsche 4wd off road?  Hell no.  Why do they buy it then?  So that people can see that they have a porsche 4wd of course.

Obviously there are exceptions to this but I would say that the motivations for buying high end cars is generally different to the motivations for buying high end headphones.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,577 of 2,918
i had edited my post but you've quoted the original version. as i said, wealthy folks might buy a bugatti and an orpheus 2 for the very same reason - to own, admire and enjoy "the best" of its kind. alternatively, they might buy them to "show off" these pinnacle products to their peers.

as i said, i wouldn't presume to know what their motivations are for wanting to own them - i don't know anyone who owns one to ask, but you have your opinion regardless.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,578 of 2,918
ANYWAY, I suppose the point I was trying to make was that buying an orpheus blind wasn't really the same as buying a supercar blind. Especially when sound is such a subjective thing it's a big gamble. But it's gotten dragged out as usual - same as every time I say anything on this thread. haha

Sal is more than welcome to do whatever he wants, I was just asking if it would wise to confirm his expectations first.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,579 of 2,918

Actually, no - I said that people would buy an orpheus for their own enjoyment - NOT to impress people.

Many buyers of expensive luxury cars ARE just trying to show off though IMO.  Take a porsche 4wd for example.  Is anyone going to take a porsche 4wd off road?  Hell no.  Why do they buy it then?  So that people can see that they have a porsche 4wd of course.

Obviously there are exceptions to this but I would say that the motivations for buying high end cars is generally different to the motivations for buying high end headphones.

According to top gear , Porsche /BMW / Audi/etc 4wds are actually meant for city road use and are TERRIBLE off road.

The say that only Range Rovers are truly meant to go off road.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,580 of 2,918
@mulder01 - if you can afford to buy a supercar blind then you're unlikely to be concerned with such comparisons. i don't find them useful or even relevant tbh. and the reason "it's gotten dragged out as usual" is because we disagree - as usual. :wink:

and again, it's obvious from sal1950's post that it is not an issue for him.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,581 of 2,918
  According to top gear , Porsche /BMW / Audi/etc 4wds are actually meant for city road use and are TERRIBLE off road.

Forget goin off road, they sure can do some awesome 4 wheel burnouts in the parking lot..  
eek.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,582 of 2,918
i had edited my post but you've quoted the original version. as i said, wealthy folks might buy a bugatti and an orpheus 2 for the very same reason - to own, admire and enjoy "the best" of its kind. alternatively, they might buy them to "show off" these pinnacle products to their peers.

as i said, i wouldn't presume to know what their motivations are for wanting to own them - i don't know anyone who owns one to ask, but you have your opinion regardless.

ANYWAY, I suppose the point I was trying to make was that buying an orpheus blind wasn't really the same as buying a supercar blind. Especially when sound is such a subjective thing it's a big gamble. But it's gotten dragged out as usual - same as every time I say anything on this thread. haha

Sal is more than welcome to do whatever he wants, I was just asking if it would wise to confirm his expectations first.

Well obviously the Orpheus buyer will have to have a certain amount of affluence but since they come with a built in DAC and the Amp and Phones can not be separated the appeal to the component of the week audiophile will be somewhat limited. Everyone here is whining over those facts.
All I know for sure is that if I hit the Florida PowerBall I'll get one the next day. Otherwise I'll be running my HD 650s and Stealth DC-1 for the next decade or so, unless one blows up.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,583 of 2,918
If you are willing to spend $55k for a headphone system, I''m pretty sure those people have a high-end DAC themselves.

The DAC of the orpheus 2 is probably just to make it work without a hassle but can be improved with an own DAC.

Well if i had enough money for a $55K Orpheous then i wouldnt wouldnt be too bothered about getting a MSB Dac to pair with it.

i dont blame these rich guys for buying stuff like this, weather its past the point of crazy or not you cant take bucket loads of cash with you when your gone.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,584 of 2,918
  I like to try everything I can.  So far, doing so has just reaffirmed how happy I am with what I've got.  Last visit to my local retailer saw me trying heaps of different stuff and I just sat there at the end of it thinking "I don't want any of this"

TBH, I do tend to like my bass, and my detail more relaxed rather than in-your-face and forgiveness with bad recordings, as well as the option of portability (within the home).  I dare say I would prefer the Abyss over the Orpheus for those reasons, but this is one of the most expensive prestigious systems in the world and if the opportunity presented itself, I would definitely give them a listen.  

If anyone refused to even try the thing because they are too stubborn to acknowledge other products are being released that compete with their own, well, that's their problem.  And if people choose to view that open mindedness as me being insecure about my own system, then that's their problem - if you refuse to even try it because you are too attached to what you've got to admit that there might be something better, then that's a little bit sad.

As I've already mentioned, I once tried the Abyss at a Hi-Fi show, but because of the noisy environment and the fact I couldn't get it to fit properly, I couldn't hear the SQ at all well, however from what I've read about the Abyss it has a lot of bass, so because I'm not a bass-head it's SQ more than likely wouldn't suit my preference, having said that I've also mentioned as to why I'd never get that thing. 

You on the other hand have posted several comments about the Orpheus 2, but [ afaik ] haven't heard that stats headphone system, so isn't that a little sad ?

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #1,585 of 2,918

All I know for sure is that if I hit the Florida PowerBall I'll get one the next day. Otherwise I'll be running my HD 650s and Stealth DC-1 for the next decade or so, unless one blows up.

"IF" you do hit the Florida Powerball , you'll most likely be spending it elsewhere. I know that I will 
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,586 of 2,918
There you go.  Still sounds like good advice to me - spend $1k to audition before spending $55k on a buy.  How is suggesting that it's possible he might prefer another headphone to the Orpheus insulting the Senn?    The issue is your agenda, not Mulder's posts.

i've been following this thread from its beginning and have noticed that mulder01 has been a critic of the orpheus 2 throughout, so i think that david1961 has a point fwiw.

Thank you up late, pity bfreedma hasn't noticed all the comments made by mulder01 on this thread.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,587 of 2,918

As I've already mentioned, I once tried the Abyss at a Hi-Fi show, but because of the noisy environment and the fact I couldn't get it to fit properly, I couldn't hear the SQ at all well, however from what I've read about the Abyss it has a lot of bass, so because I'm not a bass-head it's SQ more than likely wouldn't suit my preference, having said that I've also mentioned as to why I'd never get that thing. 

You on the other hand have posted several comments about the Orpheus 2, but [ afaik ] haven't heard that stats headphone system, so isn't that a little sad ?

I actually said I was keen to hear it - the reason I'm critical is because the price is an obnoxious FIFTY THOUSAND EUROS.  

FIFTY.

THOUSAND.

EUROS.

If you're going to price anything that much higher that the rest of your competition you deserve criticism.

And I notice everyone that seems to be saying the cost doesn't matter to them doesn't actually have the money to buy one.  It's much easier to say you'd spend the money when it's imaginary.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #1,588 of 2,918

Off[road]-topic: Forget some UK 'reviews'...they just keep flag up and high... they know how to do it well...
I was just stupid to google 'Porsche trans siberia offroad'...
(sure, any 'prepared' car is better than unprepared, 'consumer' car)

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,589 of 2,918
I actually said I was keen to hear it - the reason I'm critical is because the price is an obnoxious FIFTY THOUSAND EUROS.  

FIFTY.

THOUSAND.

EUROS.

If you're going to price anything that much higher that the rest of your competition you deserve criticism.

And I notice everyone that seems to be saying the cost doesn't matter to them doesn't actually have the money to buy one.  It's much easier to say you'd spend the money when it's imaginary.

we've been over this. banging on about the price of the orpheus 2 as you have been doing is missing the point and futile. i don't know what you hope to achieve by continuing to do this beyond thread crapping.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #1,590 of 2,918
[quote name="mulder01" url="/t/786512/sennheiser-orpheus-successor-the-sennheiser-he1060-hev1060-first-look/1575#post_12338844

[/quote]

And the cost won't matter at all if people don't even consider it as a viable choice in the first place.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back