The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,562 of 2,918
You would take the gamble and hand over $55k before you spent $1k (or possibly less) on a flight just to double check first?  

If it arrived and was not necessarily your cup of tea that would be a very expensive lesson - even if it's objectively the world's best system, doesn't 100% guarantee it will be your subjective favourite system...

worry wart

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #1,564 of 2,918
but you're not sal1950 and you have no intention of buying it anyway. you're completely satisfied with the abyss right? :wink: i don't know why you're concerning yourself with his desire to own the orpheus 2 without trying it first if he could afford to.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,565 of 2,918
Man I'd be pissed if I bought a set completely unheard and then found out that I subjectively prefer my Abyss for a tenth of the money.  

Probably just go and sit in the corner of the room in a ball and rock backward and forward crying.

I don't pulldown the Abyss anymore, but it appears you like to have a go at other gear.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,568 of 2,918

You would take the gamble and hand over $55k before you spent $1k (or possibly less) on a flight just to double check first?  

If it arrived and was not necessarily your cup of tea that would be a very expensive lesson - even if it's objectively the world's best system, doesn't 100% guarantee it will be your subjective favourite system...

Man I'd be pissed if I bought a set completely unheard and then found out that I subjectively prefer my Abyss for a tenth of the money.  

Probably just go and sit in the corner of the room in a ball and rock backward and forward crying.

I don't pulldown the Abyss anymore, but it appears you like to have a go at other gear.

You should quote exactly what he wrote.

There you go.  Still sounds like good advice to me - spend $1k to audition before spending $55k on a buy.  How is suggesting that it's possible he might prefer another headphone to the Orpheus insulting the Senn?    The issue is your agenda, not Mulder's posts.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,569 of 2,918
There you go.  Still sounds like good advice to me - spend $1k to audition before spending $55k on a buy.  How is suggesting that it's possible he might prefer another headphone to the Orpheus insulting the Senn?    The issue is your agenda, not Mulder's posts.

Even if I had $55,000 spare, spending that on a headphone system without auditioning first is obviously something I wouldn't do, but if someone wanted to do that then that's their choice, and should be left to make that choice, after all some have chosen to buy the Abyss.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,570 of 2,918
If you are willing to spend $55k for a headphone system, I''m pretty sure those people have a high-end DAC themselves.

The DAC of the orpheus 2 is probably just to make it work without a hassle but can be improved with an own DAC.

I give Sennheiser much more credit than to just stick any old thing in a statement product.
Any your probably correct that many future owners will use alternative DACs
But if your the kind of audiophile that is going to agonize over whether the DAC or the amp (which can't be bypassed) is as
good as the ones you'd prefer, then the 1060 is probably not the system for you. You'd be better off with something you can 
pick and chose with.
I think we're really looking at two different markets.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,571 of 2,918

If you want and can afford a Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse you don't get to demo drive one. You put your deposit down and when they build it
you pay it off and its yours. If your not happy with the stereo or comfort of the seats, its to dang bad.
But you still get to drive around and show off to your friends a $2.5 million dollar car.
I very much doubt you'll ever get it to 255 mph either.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,572 of 2,918
Just felt like I should point this out:

Quote:
I don't pulldown the Abyss anymore,

nekminnit

that's their choice, and should be left to make that choice, after all some have chosen to buy the Abyss.

I like to try everything I can.  So far, doing so has just reaffirmed how happy I am with what I've got.  Last visit to my local retailer saw me trying heaps of different stuff and I just sat there at the end of it thinking "I don't want any of this"

TBH, I do tend to like my bass, and my detail more relaxed rather than in-your-face and forgiveness with bad recordings, as well as the option of portability (within the home).  I dare say I would prefer the Abyss over the Orpheus for those reasons, but this is one of the most expensive prestigious systems in the world and if the opportunity presented itself, I would definitely give them a listen.  

If anyone refused to even try the thing because they are too stubborn to acknowledge other products are being released that compete with their own, well, that's their problem.  And if people choose to view that open mindedness as me being insecure about my own system, then that's their problem - if you refuse to even try it because you are too attached to what you've got to admit that there might be something better, then that's a little bit sad.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,573 of 2,918
  If you want and can afford a Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse you don't get to demo drive one. You put your deposit down and when they build it
you pay it off and its yours. If your not happy with the stereo or comfort of the seats, its to dang bad.
But you still get to drive around and show off to your friends a $2.5 million dollar car.
I very much doubt you'll ever get it to 255 mph either.

I think the difference is that people buy a Bugatti because they want to show off.  They want to rock up at events in it, they want people to know they have one.  They are never going to drive it up to 255mph just like you are never going to listen to your orpheus at max volume because that's not really what it's about.  

The thing with the Orpheus is, you buy it for yourself.  If you love spending your spare alone time sitting back and immersing yourself in high fidelity audio then you want the best possible system that will give YOU your best possible experience.  There are very few people (outside of headfi) that will be impressed that you have a very expensive set of headphones.  In fact, if you told most people what you just bought they would probably look at you like "uwotm8"? So if the Orpheus doesn't make YOU 100% satisfied then they haven't done their job.  Whereas if you don't absolutely love driving the Bugatti, it still serves it's purpose of showing off.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #1,574 of 2,918
you have a habit of making assumptions about people's motivations for buying luxury products that you are unlikely to own yourself. i wouldn't presume to know why someone of means would buy a bugatti or an orpheus 2 but I suspect that there could be other reasons besides "showing off". they might even buy both for the very same reason - to own, admire and enjoy "the best" of its kind.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,575 of 2,918

i've been following this thread from its beginning and have noticed that mulder01 has been a critic of the orpheus 2 throughout, so i think that david1961 has a point fwiw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back