The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #721 of 2,918
There are both balanced and unbalanced analog inputs so at some point if you think you would benefit from a different DAC you can just plug it in.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #722 of 2,918
  There are both balanced and unbalanced analog inputs so at some point if you think you would benefit from a different DAC you can just plug it in.

I always appreciate equipment with this kind of accommodation. I got the HDVA 600 amp for HD 800 because it can take both types in and also has 4 headphone outputs, 2 for each kind.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #723 of 2,918
I am not in the customer demographic and I am not ashamed of that :popcorn:

That makes two of us. It joins the long list of things I could theoretically buy which would be very unsound financial decisions.

Although the way the original Orpheus has held its value, it wouldn't be the worst investment. Even given that history, I don't see my wife being so easily convinced.....

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #724 of 2,918
Investment or not. if I could afford $50K+ for a boys toy it sure as hell wouldn't be a set of headphones.
Now a new 2015 C7 Corvette, now there's something that will get your blood pumping when you hit the LOUD pedal.  :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #725 of 2,918
Investment or not. if I could afford $50K+ for a boys toy it sure as hell wouldn't be a set of headphones.
Now a new 2015 C7 Corvette, now there's something that will get your blood pumping when you hit the LOUD pedal.  :)

You could always buy both. :biggrin:

I've got the car part of the equation covered (something other than the Corvette - a nice car, but not something to drive up to your consulting client's offices.....). Still not ready to ante up $55k USD for the Orpheus at this point.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #727 of 2,918
  Looks very interesting. One thing I would never put in though is a dac. They change too often, and often, for the better. A good amp section and phone, not so much but a dac is like what they call digital rot in cameras. I have a Sony A7RII that is so much better in rendering of images than any Canon I have. I have a friend who is a professional photographer, who bought a digital Hasselblad a few years ago. 40,000 dollars and it is already been very superseded and frankly, even in professional work, it wasn't worth the depreciation. So a dac in a state of the art system? Well for those who can afford, an external dac as things change would seem to be requisite providing they are purchasing this for the sound and not to impress. 

As for the internal DAC, comparing it to digital photography (where more pixels = better picture) is reasonable.  However, most people can agree on what constitutes a sharper photographic image.  That's a more objective standard.  But defining what constitutes better sound is more problematic, because it's such a notoriously subjective thing.  People dispute whether there are audible differences between conventional and high resolution formats, for example.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #729 of 2,918
Failing the priority of a few people on here like Jude who will probably end up owning this through love and lust....it will be rich collectors of watches, bikes, cars and wine who'll pick these up....put them next to a designer one off leather chair, possibly on their yacht, who know it will only go up in value, who will buy.....alas...

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #731 of 2,918
Failing the priority of a few people on here like Jude who will probably end up owning this through love and lust....it will be rich collectors of watches, bikes, cars and wine who'll pick these up....put them next to a designer one off leather chair, possibly on their yacht, who know it will only go up in value, who will buy.....alas...

Jude's highly positive review will most likely get him one at parts cost or less. How do you think they grease the wheels in reviewer/manufacturer land. You don't think he flew overseas out of the goodness of his heart?   :wink:

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #732 of 2,918
You could always buy both.
biggrin.gif

I  couldn't afford the taxes on both.  LOL

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #733 of 2,918
  Seriously though, If I wanted one now how do I place the order?

It will be possible to pre-order the new Orpheus starting in early 2016. We will announce on the exact procedure at the beginning of 2016. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back