The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #286 of 2,918
The cynic in me believes Sennheiser doesn't manufacture a "stripped down" Orpheus because if you take away the pomp and circumstance of the "Orpheus" aura and all the bells and whistles they are touting, what you have at the end of the day is a basic headphone which doesn't compete all that well with the current king of electrostatics, Stax.

I'm not sure I'm quite as cynical as you, but I do agree with you on one big point: I don't think they want to compete with Stax. I think Senn wants to make a 'stat once in a blue moon as a marketing stunt, but doing a reasonably-priced line of electrostats would be introducing a whole new line of products into a part of the market already dominated by an established competitor. Again, I'm not a marketing person, but that just seems like a lot of R&D and marketing for a pretty uncertain bet, especially given that I can't imagine the market for $2k-5k headphones is that big. (Plus, given that Stax bundles amps with their stats, Senn would probably have to do the same, meaning they'd suddenly have to do a line of consumer amps, too.)

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #287 of 2,918
I love that these exist, simply because Sennheiser is willing to ignore all conventional business wisdom and produce something so over the top and niche, just as a statement. I will not likely be able to afford this anytime soon (though hope to be able to someday), but am really looking forward to an opportunity to try them out, just to hear for myself what's possible.

Meanwhile, having spent all that time and research into coming up with this pinnacle piece, I would really hope Sennheiser takes some of the lessons learnt and produces a more broadly positioned flagship down the road.

To those that will be getting this, enjoy, and do share your thoughts after spending some time with them

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #289 of 2,918
+1 echineko.  Inevitably, these designs will filter down (at least to some degree)

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #290 of 2,918
what an astonishing piece of audio engineering. looks like the summit has been reached.

It's this thought process that causes people to become lazy and complacent. If people thought like this, then we would still be riding horses around and the computer wouldn't exist.

Sennheiser Orpheus is an example of an excellent system in an infinitely improving audioscape. The products will only get better. There is no summit :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #292 of 2,918
Nov 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #293 of 2,918
They may have the Bugatti price tag but they haven't shown any quantifiable data. When Bugatti came out with their car they gave specs such as 0-60 times and top speed.

What did they say? Buzzwords such as silver cables and outdated tech with it being a tube amp.

Going on that alone it won't be worth that huge price tag. 

What am I saying? People will drink the koolaid as soon as they put them on.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #294 of 2,918
What is with all these people saying anything with tubes are outdated?

A TV with tubes? Sure. But an amp with tubes? If done well it can sound awesome.

I wonder if these people have ever listened to a good tube amp?

Cheers

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #296 of 2,918
given that Stax bundles amps with their stats

Actually, at least in the American market, only some of the lower-end STAX models are available in amp + headphone system bundles. (But you can buy them separately. None of their headphones come in forced bundles.)

https://www.staxusa.com/system/

They may have the Bugatti price tag but they haven't shown any quantifiable data. When Bugatti came out with their car they gave specs such as 0-60 times and top speed.

What did they say? Buzzwords such as silver cables and outdated tech with it being a tube amp.

Going on that alone it won't be worth that huge price tag. 

What am I saying? People will drink the koolaid as soon as they put them on.

For those of us who really want this, it's all about the headphone and the sound it can give you. Whether the other stuff contributes isn't so important. But if you read the available info, it involves far more than you listed. I do look forward to seeing any measurements, though. As for worth, that is subjective. It's only going to be "worth it" for a few people.

Tubes color the sound enough said.

Some tubes have a neutral frequency response and low distortion, and as I touched upon earlier, they have benefits solid-state does not. Some people swear by tubes and insist they sound more transparent. (But only certain ones, because obviously, some tubes do color the sound significantly.)

For the record, the new Orpheus' amplification system (HEV 1060 amp + the amplification inside the HE 1060 headphones) is a hybrid, as in tubes + solid-state. Same goes for many other electrostatic amps. The most expensive ones all have tubes, from what I've seen.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #297 of 2,918
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #298 of 2,918
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #299 of 2,918
Good news is that some of orpheus technology will come down to future sennheiser headphones. So sennheiser will continue to be a good company to invest in. New hd800 will be out in matter of months and hopefully hd600/650 refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back