The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,351 of 2,918

Seems unlikely...

I'm sure that Tyll will take of that in the future.  However, we are waiting for you to take this on as well.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,352 of 2,918
In no way am I saying the dac inside is bad as I have not heard it. With that said most all combos are below top end in dac section or amp.
And I can only think of one such combo my lampi head dac that is truly amazing in both regards.
As for not using the dac inside for a listen to evaluate its simple to understand if one has done this with other products. There needs to be a baseline to judge from hence your own dac and music. If you cannot understand this concept and fixate on it Asa combo or its voiced to sound a certain way I think you on the wrong trail

i disagree and think that sal1950 makes a valid point. i also think your bias is showing against the quality of the dac and amplification that sennheiser has employed, as well as its expertise in these areas.

if you want to focus on the performance of the dac in the orpheus 2, then i would have thought that a fair hearing is a minimum requirement. if the dac that you own is your personal benchmark for dac performance, then a comparison between it and the orpheus 2's dac using your preferred test tracks would be required in order for you to make an informed judgement imo.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,353 of 2,918
  I'm sure that Tyll will take of that in the future.  However, we are waiting for you to take this on as well.  

Wait, me?  wot?  That was a cheeky dig at Sal, not Jude.  
I'll definitely give them a whirl if the opportunity ever presents itself though...

Actually I wonder why we haven't heard anything from Tyll about this, I would assume that being one of the biggest names in the industry that he would have gotten an invitation too...

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,354 of 2,918
tyll has already spent some limited time with the orpheus 2. he expects to have an opportunity to spend more time with it in future and then write a full review.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #1,357 of 2,918
Ok just found Tyll's write-up, and 'up late' absolutely (albeit sarcastically) hit the nail on the head earlier on - "As Axel said, the new Orpheus isn't really for headphone enthusiasts, it's for rich soccer players."

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,358 of 2,918
i think axel grell might have said that with tongue in cheek as i and others in this thread have. i wouldn't take it literally.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,359 of 2,918

Wait, me?  wot?  That was a cheeky dig at Sal, not Jude.  
I'll definitely give them a whirl if the opportunity ever presents itself though...

Actually I wonder why we haven't heard anything from Tyll about this, I would assume that being one of the biggest names in the industry that he would have gotten an invitation too...

I wonder why you thought I deserved "a cheeky dig" for simply asking for a fair evaluation of the Sennheiser Orpheus II System?

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,360 of 2,918
There is no way to truly evaluate this product meaning the headphone amp combo of using the internal dac As well.
You need a baseline to draw from that's why Jude dos what he did. And tyle will do the same. As a second part of the review anyone will use the dac As well. Not meaning to rain on anyone who has opposing opinions but it's just as I see it.
When I heard the abyss or he1000 it was on my stuff and my music. What good would it be if was completely new electronics and music I do not know. In fact a review that only does this Asa whole would mean much less to me.
Also has Jude commented on any distortion at high volume or in general. He has had them longer than anyone right ?
And I am willing to guess Jude did try the internal dac at his room but has not commented or will not. And I am in no way accusing him of this but just my thoughts.
But I do respect anyone's views here and this is how we all should be. My spelling stinks and I am y be confusing as well. But I have many years at this hobby and have big bucks in it. My point is take the time to learn from anyone here or elsewhere. There is most likely something to learn from anyone here.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,361 of 2,918
There is no way to truly evaluate this product meaning the headphone amp combo of using the internal dac As well.
You need a baseline to draw from that's why Jude dos what he did. And tyle will do the same. As a second part of the review anyone will use the dac As well. Not meaning to rain on anyone who has opposing opinions but it's just as I see it.
When I heard the abyss or he1000 it was on my stuff and my music. What good would it be if was completely new electronics and music I do not know. In fact a review that only does this Asa whole would mean much less to me.
Also has Jude commented on any distortion at high volume or in general. He has had them longer than anyone right ?
And I am willing to guess Jude did try the internal dac at his room but has not commented or will not. And I am in no way accusing him of this but just my thoughts.
But I do respect anyone's views here and this is how we all should be. My spelling stinks and I am y be confusing as well. But I have many years at this hobby and have big bucks in it. My point is take the time to learn from anyone here or elsewhere. There is most likely something to learn from anyone here.

I don't understand that logic. Why? It's not like Jude was able to use an additional external electrostatic amp for comparison or to draw a baseline.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,362 of 2,918
x2

however, if alrainbow believes that there's no way for him to truly evaluate the orpheus 2 because he can't isolate the headphone from it's proprietary onboard amplifier, then he'd be right. the headphone won't make a sound without it. :wink:

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,363 of 2,918
Bottom line to me is still that the approach Jude used tells the prospective buyer of the new Orpheus nothing about it's sound. At least not unless he is willing to bypass the internal DAC and additionally purchase the one that is Jude's preferred sounding DAC. Neither will the prospective buyer be able to compare the outcome of his review with the results of other reviewers.  Still seems as a butt backward way to present a new product to the public to me.

I sincerely hope that when tyll does his review he will first evaluate the 1060 the way the manufacturer intended it to be heard, as as a complete product, and give the community a true baseline of it's sound. Then if he chooses to start "rolling his own"  in the way of DAC's that will be fine. An accepted practice with tube amps.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,364 of 2,918
More flawed logic. I do understand where you're coming from, however, this is silly. 

I may disagree with Jude's findings, I may scrutinize his method of 'testing'. In the end, it's all subjective. Bias, preference - meh.

In that, back to this whole subjective hobby we enjoy. How many of you heard the exact same chain JPS Labs used for development, or Stax, or Audez'e? Yea....
there's never been any 'true' evaluation of any gear on Head-Fi.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,365 of 2,918
This hobby is some what subjective but there are ways to make things less. Trying one part at a time does this.
Lastly what if the combo with dac is not so great as I am guessing it is. What then a 55 k audio device that already wins award is sub par in some ways. Who reviewing or even demoing the unit would say that. Even I as just a smuck in this hobby would never post such a stat lent out of respect for the hobby. Let me go further the last time I said hiw I really feel about a device I was banned for whine here. Now there was more to it than just that started but still it's not fair to make views public as it's subjective.
I know of a ES amp review a certain well known reviewer did and made a claim as to what he felt was best. This was not true as I own all of the Amps in the review
And what's claimed does not happen in use and only under certain circumstances stances as like the claim of distortion at high volumes. It's a hobby with big bucks moving things around. I hope this makes some sense in the hiw and why. Of course I completely agree the whole device should be spoken of as well. But only after all aspects of the device first.
Here is another example a few years ago a reviewer I like and respect and agree with used a USB converter for his ds. Reviews
Well you might guess his reviews were better than the average user would find when the y used it. Is that fair
I say yeah as he stayed he did in his review but most who read it had know idea what he was using see my point.
Jude is a really fair and cool guy and will rarely post of a sub par product much less a 55 K one. It's fine by me and I love humans the Austrian guy too both have shown me many audio concepts that use today.
I did ask Jude what he used Asa source he has not responded as this would add more confusion to the mini review. But that is one man that has heard more stuff than anyone on the planit and I stand by what he says to. A point before I hear for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back