The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #781 of 2,918
Doubt the HE1060 will top a competent AKG K1000 (fully swivelled out) system with well engineered amplification and DAC (more so, a capable analogue output stage). HE1060 has earpads (therefore an enclosed listening volume) and the transducer surface appears to be oval instead of circular (not sure why they decided to do this). The more lightweight electrostatic diaphragm would have a more efficient and responsive transient oscillation than a heavier dynamic type driver diaphragm but it depends on the calibrated frequency/phase responses as well.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #782 of 2,918
Tyle love your reply and its honesty
What you said is so true it's a colllector edition more than its sound on oar with its price . Very well said and I love how fast you replied to that comment hahahhaa. Love your reviews and I have learned plenty about headphones from you .

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #783 of 2,918
  Doubt the HE1060 will top a competent AKG K1000 (fully swivelled out) system with well engineered amplification and DAC (more so, a capable analogue output stage). HE1060 has earpads (therefore an enclosed listening volume) and the transducer surface appears to be oval instead of circular (not sure why they decided to do this). The more lightweight electrostatic diaphragm would have a more efficient and responsive transient oscillation than a heavier dynamic type driver diaphragm but it depends on the calibrated frequency/phase responses as well.

Oh dear, desperation setting in...

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #785 of 2,918

I thought they were world-class headphones, but I have no idea where they sit for me in that category...and I think that category has not grown into its prices yet.

But that's not the real story for me. The real story is that they did it at all. Yeah, Axel Grell himself told me its really for soccer players. And it's only soccer players, and the incredibly wealthy, that can afford the thing---not your average, or even well above average, enthusiast. But if you're going to allow engineers the opportunity to express their expertise with passion (engineering resources are expensive) somebody has to pay the nut somewhere along the line. 

So, I'm not underwhelmed. I'm really happy to see and hear an amazing expression of headphone enthusiasm done by, in my estimation, the most accomplished headphone maker in the world. 

Here's my complete thoughts on my visit to LA to hear it: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-passion-and-orpheus-he1060hev1060

Hi Tyll, the Orpheus 2 will materialize soon roughly 500 m away from my house inside a High End Audio shop that I visited today to listen to the HD800 with my favorite music. The shop owner told me that they plan to have one unit set up in a special room for special customers. If I buy a HD800 there, I could probably have a session, even though I could  never afford buying it. Should one take that chance or skip it for the sake of not spoiling oneself for normal headphones?
To listen or not to listen, that is the question here!

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #786 of 2,918
  I thought they were world-class headphones, but I have no idea where they sit for me in that category...and I think that category has not grown into its prices yet.

But that's not the real story for me. The real story is that they did it at all. Yeah, Axel Grell himself told me its really for soccer players. And it's only soccer players, and the incredibly wealthy, that can afford the thing---not your average, or even well above average, enthusiast. But if you're going to allow engineers the opportunity to express their expertise with passion (engineering resources are expensive) somebody has to pay the nut somewhere along the line. 

So, I'm not underwhelmed. I'm really happy to see and hear an amazing expression of headphone enthusiasm done by, in my estimation, the most accomplished headphone maker in the world. 

Here's my complete thoughts on my visit to LA to hear it: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-passion-and-orpheus-he1060hev1060

Looking forward to your full review! (I really, really hope you're able to measure it.)

Do you know whether the cable is detachable from the headphones?

As far as I can tell, the only advantage the K1000 would necessarily have is a larger soundstage...which is one of the least important things to me. Headphones (even the K1000) aren't capable of filling a room with sound like a live performance or loudspeakers can, after all. Also, what's wrong with oval transducers? They have advantages, actually. The original Orpheus HE 90 was oval. So are the HD 650, HE1000, and others.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #787 of 2,918
Of you can a listen to them do so. The heavens I'll not open up but your wallet might
But all kidding asside the hd800 are very good headphones and the new or old Orpheus os not far away from them
For me what made the first one better than the stax009 is the same as the he60 ots the musicality that colorations add

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #788 of 2,918
A few more reviews:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/i-listened-to-sennheisers-absurd-36000-orpheus-headphones/
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/sennheiser-orpheus/
http://news.yahoo.com/hands-sennheiser-orpheus-headphones-111505055.html
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emerging-audio-underworld-sennheisers-orpheus-rises-again#eV3zFTDikd2khoeH.97

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #790 of 2,918

Here's my complete thoughts on my visit to LA to hear it: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-passion-and-orpheus-he1060hev10

Sounds like an A for effort. And you don't think they are a tad harsh? 

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #791 of 2,918
want to buy one,but……
triportsad.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #792 of 2,918
Whilst I am not the biggest fan of the design, and 55K certainly isn't a reasonable price for the convenience - being able to keep cables out of sight is really appealing. The DIY appearance of my desk rig really irritates me - stand, cables hanging over the edge, nothing matching - aesthetically its a dogs dinner on an otherwise minimalist desk. Putting the headphones away when not in use removes the spontaneity and means they get used less. So being able to have one tidy box on the desk that may also be the best sounding box on the planet is super appealing from a superficial aesthetic standpoint. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #793 of 2,918
  Whilst I am not the biggest fan of the design, and 55K certainly isn't a reasonable price for the convenience - being able to keep cables out of sight is really appealing. The DIY appearance of my desk rig really irritates me - stand, cables hanging over the edge, nothing matching - aesthetically its a dogs dinner on an otherwise minimalist desk. Putting the headphones away when not in use removes the spontaneity and means they get used less. So being able to have one tidy box on the desk that may also be the best sounding box on the planet is super appealing from a superficial aesthetic standpoint. 

With regard to design, I feel like they could have built a more asymmetrical rounded edge case instead of just a cube. Boxes are so 20th century....even though everything is still pretty much a box today XD

Still an incredible piece of hardware

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #795 of 2,918

Well said Tyll, a big +1 on the above comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back