The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #331 of 2,918

Mr.Rosmadi,

Well, it is a work of Art, no doubt about it, lack of power is a ?, electrostatics benefit from better amping, even the STAX guys pursue careful Amp design to transform the 007s & 009s, the Blue Hawaii comes to mind.  

The music listening part, hmm, I get that with careful amping & Dac & Eqing for my HD580s.  

Still, I love those HD800s and it's matching Amp.  

Certainly a wonderful design concept is a Joy! 

Having Sennheiser build my complete system would be my ideal, unless I love DIY as USA headphone folks seem to enjoy.

Because of my personal hearing issues I must use an outboard EQ device ( much like recording studios use ) which kind-of eliminates the HD800s matching Amp-Dac ( darn ).  But superb amps and Dacs are available separately.  

If my HD580s weren't so wonderful ( or suddenly failed ) I'd immediately purchase the HD800s, it's amazing that a 20 year old headphone can be so successful, reliable and consistent.

And, even more impressive is that Sennheiser hasn't needed to continually upgrade as nearly every other Manufacturer seems to "need" to do, they made the HD580 right the first time around.  I've heard that same comment about the HD600s and the HD650s.  They're great stuff. 

I'm a Sennheiser man, no doubt about it.  

I was chatting with some headphone folks in Vienna, they have AKG,  seems I should have a look at that but I have Sennheiser as my foundation to build from and to judge with. I'm in a very good position. 

Tony in Michigan

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #332 of 2,918

So is the full official name of the headphone Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1060?

Orpheus is the official name.

HE 1060 refers to the headphone while HEV 1060 refers to the vacuum tube amplifier. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #333 of 2,918
Any chance to see these soon on the Massdrop? 
wink_face.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #334 of 2,918

HE 1060 refers to the headphone while HEV 1060 refers to the vacuum tube amplifier. 

But when formally referring to the headphone using its full official name, should it be Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1060 or just Sennheiser HE 1060? I would think that since Orpheus is the name, the Orpheus part would be left in.

As for the system being called Orpheus, this could get a little confusing in conversations, since the original Orpheus system (Orpheus HE 90 headphones + Orpheus HEV 90 amp/DAC) can simply be referred to as Orpheus as well, and it's also common for people to refer to the HE 90 as the Orpheus.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #335 of 2,918

Some tubes have a neutral frequency response and low distortion, and as I touched upon earlier, they have benefits solid-state does not. Some people swear by tubes and insist they sound more transparent. (But only certain ones, because obviously, some tubes do color the sound significantly.)

For the record, the new Orpheus' amplification system (HEV 1060 amp + the amplification inside the HE 1060 headphones) is a hybrid, as in tubes + solid-state. Same goes for many other electrostatic amps. The most expensive ones all have tubes, from what I've seen.

People who "swear by tubes and insist they sound more transparent" worth nothing. Show me reliable measurements which this as a fact. And noise is additive an accumulates, so unless they have (Sennheiser) a trick up their sleeve, the very fact of using tubes, adds distortion. And no, tubes just can't have ruler-flat FR. Show me 1 measurement which shows otherwise. But as long as none of this is audible, it doesn't make a difference anyway...

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #336 of 2,918
  People who "swear by tubes and insist they sound more transparent" worth nothing. Show me reliable measurements which this as a fact. And noise is additive an accumulates, so unless they have (Sennheiser) a trick up their sleeve, the very fact of using tubes, adds distortion. And no, tubes just can't have ruler-flat FR. Show me 1 measurement which shows otherwise. But as long as none of this is audible, it doesn't make a difference anyway...

Just one example: look at the measured frequency response and distortion specs for Schiit's tube amps. It's easy for any amp (including some tube amps) to have a frequency response that does not deviate from neutral more than a tiny fraction of a decibel and to have distortion below the threshold of audibility.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #338 of 2,918
Not wishing to distract from the serious nature of this debate, I proffer an anecdotal comment from my octogenarian mother about this product to inject a touch of thread levity. 
This could only happen in an audiophile household...

I was reviewing Jude's Sennheiser video and at the precise moment when the amplifiers knobs extend and the glass lid slowly opens to reveal the headphones, my mother pops in, looks at the iPad screen and says earnestly "What a lovely remembrance, a marble mausoleum for a headphone lovers ashes".  

k701smile.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #340 of 2,918

Just one example: look at the measured frequency response and distortion specs for Schiit's tube amps. It's easy for any amp (including some tube amps) to have a frequency response that does not deviate from neutral more than a tiny fraction of a decibel and to have distortion below the threshold of audibility.

This is a joke, right? Even the O2 which is almost 1/3 the price of the Valhalla has a considerably better THD+n and IMD

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #341 of 2,918
  This is a joke, right? Even the O2 which is almost 1/3 the price of the Valhalla has a considerably better THD+n and IMD

According to my research, it's already below the threshold of audibility, meaning that you can't hear the difference.

In an effort to help keep this thread on topic, I am going to request that you debate this further in Sound Science. Many members there will be happy to help you.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #342 of 2,918
It's this thought process that causes people to become lazy and complacent. If people thought like this, then we would still be riding horses around and the computer wouldn't exist.

Sennheiser Orpheus is an example of an excellent system in an infinitely improving audioscape. The products will only get better. There is no summit :)

think you're taking my expression of excitement way too literally. and i did say that it looks like the summit has been reached with this product, not that it had been reached. it's hardly an emphatic statement and it was referring to the present time, which shouldn't be interpreted as for all time - ok?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #344 of 2,918

When will Sennheiser release full specs?

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #345 of 2,918
Says who? If that were the case, we'd just need a couple of charts and probably a sub-$500 setup. The point of audiophile setups isn't necessarily to accurately present recordings so much as it is to pleasingly present them. In the end, music is about enjoyment, not accuracy.

WRONG....!!!

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Taken from:-   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiophile

This is what happens when people do their own take on meanings of terms.

High fidelity by it's etymology means faithful reproduction to the original.  The fact of whether the sound is pleasing to the hearer is not the matter of debate here.

A Bronx cheer should sound like a Bronx cheer. If it sounds like a cute mellifluous giggle on your system, then the indications are that your system is nowhere near high fidelity and in desperate need of repair or disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back