The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Oct 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,416 of 2,929
Are these really THAT good? I had the opportunity to try them a week ago, listening to the first movement of mahler's 1st symphony and man, I'm no expert in sound but I could listen flowers blossoming and the green meadows of spring. It was ridiculous, my reaction during that whole movement was like am I really hearing this?

Let's just hope they implement some of it in an affordable (or at least relatively) pair!

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,419 of 2,929
Are these really THAT good? I had the opportunity to try them a week ago, listening to the first movement of mahler's 1st symphony and man, I'm no expert in sound but I could listen flowers blossoming and the green meadows of spring. It was ridiculous, my reaction during that whole movement was like am I really hearing this?

Let's just hope they implement some of it in an affordable (or at least relatively) pair!

Mm...although I listen to classic Classical music, I also listen to modern classical, mostly movie-themed like the works of Hans Zimmer. They sound fantastic on the HE 1. It is one of the key strenght of the Orpheus: vivid realism unlike any other from a headphone system.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #2,420 of 2,929
On the high cost (meteoric) of the HE-1, and being a Stax nut, I would spend that in a heartbeat if I had it spare to do so. Sadly I believe most posters on here won't be able to do that, and the ones that do buy the HE-1 are possibly not going to be avid posters on here. Huge assumptions there, but that is what I think at the moment. Almost like a secret club that us underlings know nohing about, or if it even exists.

However, having heard the HE-1, albeit at Can-Jam London for only 15 minutes, I believe you can get close to that sound with the 009 and a top KG amp, fed by a very smooth sounding DAC preferably with tubes in it. Thus in my mind, a take on that level of sound doesn't need to be unreachable, it requires some research and thought, and it isn't a one box solution like the HE-1.

So fear not my friends, we can have some of that cake as well, not just dream about it! Anyway, YMMV and this is my opinion to date. I want to hear it again but next time with my selected tracks, not the stupid non sleeve CDs the Senn staff had to hand.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2,421 of 2,929
On the high cost (meteoric) of the HE-1, and being a Stax nut, I would spend that in a heartbeat if I had it spare to do so. Sadly I believe most posters on here won't be able to do that, and the ones that do buy the HE-1 are possibly not going to be avid posters on here. Huge assumptions there, but that is what I think at the moment. Almost like a secret club that us underlings know nohing about, or if it even exists.

However, having heard the HE-1, albeit at Can-Jam London for only 15 minutes, I believe you can get close to that sound with the 009 and a top KG amp, fed by a very smooth sounding DAC preferably with tubes in it. Thus in my mind, a take on that level of sound doesn't need to be unreachable, it requires some research and thought, and it isn't a one box solution like the HE-1.

So fear not my friends, we can have some of that cake as well, not just dream about it! Anyway, YMMV and this is my opinion to date. I want to hear it again but next time with my selected tracks, not the stupid non sleeve CDs the Senn staff had to hand.
Yea maybe the electrostatic world is the place to be. Has anybody tried the Sonoma Acoustic Model 1?

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,423 of 2,929
Yea maybe the electrostatic world is the place to be. Has anybody tried the Sonoma Acoustic Model 1?

Yes, at some length in the SF Meet quiet room. In short, they offered mediocre comfort, a mediocre soundstage, mediocre DAC, less detail than SR009, less musicality than 007, and a price that doesn't come close being justified by the sound.

On another subject, does anyone have any information about the details of the San Francisco Sennheiser pop up store coming this fall?

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #2,424 of 2,929
Yes, at some length in the SF Meet quiet room. In short, they offered mediocre comfort, a mediocre soundstage, mediocre DAC, less detail than SR009, less musicality than 007, and a price that doesn't come close being justified by the sound.

Oops, bit underpants then? I concur with your summary. I heard them at Can-Jam and they seemed a bit amateurish, not thought through very well. We could do with a like for like price and performance unit to hot things up a bit. Talking of which, the SR-010..... Will it raise the bar even further I wonder?

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2,425 of 2,929
Talking of which, the SR-010..... Will it raise the bar even further I wonder?

I have low expectations for SR-010.
Why? SRM-T8000, in the 2012 Head-Fi interview, they said that their new flagship amp had to be better than the T2...we ended with a slightly better 717 according to the experts, let alone a T2.
If they act the same with the headphones, it probably will sound worse than 007 and 009.
I really want to be wrong, because I want that SR-010 that rules them all in everything, but it's better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised, than having high expectations and be massively dissapointed like with the SRM-T8000.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,427 of 2,929
Why? SRM-T8000, in the 2012 Head-Fi interview, they said that their new flagship amp had to be better than the T2...we ended with a slightly better 717 according to the experts, let alone a T2.
If they act the same with the headphones, it probably will sound worse than 007 and 009.
I really want to be wrong, because I want that SR-010 that rules them all in everything, but it's better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised, than having high expectations and be massively dissapointed like with the SRM-T8000.

Agree, and what I wished for from 009 successor is whatever 009 has but with better vertical planes. When do we expect to hear about the 010 ?

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,429 of 2,929
T-8000 I think it is just like T1, the real T2 successor should be in the next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back