The Sennheiser HD600 is more true than the AKG K1000.
Nov 27, 2008 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I just came back from the orchestra today. I went for Beethoven's Triple Concerto / Brahms Academic Overture / Elgar's Enigma Variations. As you can tell, what a night it was.

I realised that once they started playing, the sound of real music sounded full bodied, mellow and muddled. The orchestra has no distinctive layers of sound. It's a whole because they play in unison. It resembled the HD600 sound more than the K1000.

Wait, hang on.. a better way to put this is that the Sennheiser HD600 sounds more real than the AKG K1000.

I'm not one to hate the AKG K1000, but the HD600 is what music should sound like.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 42
It would be interesting to get a hold of a quality recording of your orchestra (if there are any), and compare it at home to your memory of a certain practice/performance.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 42
a: I hope you brought earplugs

b: where were you sitting?

c: what venue?

I haven't heard either the hd600 or the k1000 and can't speak to that comparison, but I've been able to pick out individual sections at an orchestra performance before, with plugs in.

Maybe you really just don't like the k1000's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 42
i'm more of the opinion that it's different styles.
With k1000s, you can hear everything with such clarity and imaging, but with the right chain of equipment, do not ever think the music is not in unison.
When I go to classical concerts, I don't can listen to various details but my focus is not the same as in listening to headphones because i have a visual aspect of it. Plus, there's the environment of seeing people play so the listening is not as critical.
I don't believe music "should" be listened one way or the other...both are equally as enjoyable and i'd miss both the same amount if one were missing.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 42
Your amp doesnt give K1000 what they really need, so, until then, enjoy your HD600.
Or, here is another one, sell it to upgrade your system, sorry mate, life is not fair...
Or, try TrendsAudio T10.1 and maybe, just maybe, you re-discover your K1000 again. Why maybe? Maybe because you still not happy with K1000 while your are not doing anything to change that. Do something or just stop using it, before you become a K1000 hater. Is that make any sense
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 42
Well all this depends on the acoustics of the concert hall you were in as well as whether you were in a "good" seat. Perhaps with a
different seat, the sound might be closer to the K1000?

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you sit closer to the front, rather than near the back, you'll get a different experience.

This is true.
Although I don't consider myself a professional, I have played an instrument since I was 4 years old, and played 6 years in the Hawai'i youth symphony before leaving for college.
First off, the presentation of the sound can be very different depending in the particular concert hall.
Second, listeners closer to the back feels the effect of reverberation to a much greater effect, which can leave the impression of a slightly more muddled sound.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser > AKG

wink_face.gif

Is that conclusive?? Because I've got a pair of 600s on their way, and it'd be nice to know...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back