The secret of Synergy?
May 6, 2006 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Calsdad

New Head-Fier
What is it?

What do people mean by 'synergy' when they refer to hi-fi components?

Is it when, e.g.

A. a warm-sounding pair of headphones are paired with an amp of similar characteristics, so the headphones are driven in a (in this case smooth) way that tallys with their character?

B. a warm-sounding pair of cans are paired with a detailed, bright-sounding amp, so the pairing results in a taming of each's character and a more neutral sound?

C. something more scientific, such as simply correctly matching resistance of the cans (ohms) with an appropriate amp?

D. something else?

People use the term 'synergy', or derivatives of it, quite often on this board. As a newbie, I'd like to know what they mean
580smile.gif

May 6, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 18
It's all relative. The idea is that the components work well with each other to produce the type of sound you are going for... and like I said, that's all relative.

May 6, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 18
It could be any of the answers you've mentioned.
tongue.gif
There is no specific definition.

Quite simply, synergy is when all the components together sounds good to you. Nothing specific. It just sounds good to you better than the same setup but with a different amplifier for example. And therefore, obviously, synergy is extremely subjective.

Yet, since many people have the same tastes for sound, some setups that many people enjoy become regarded as synergetic.

May 6, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 18
i most often see people refer to synergy as achieved with option B, but taking the B route doesn't necessarily guarantee synergy
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 18
I like AdamP's answer. There's definitely some science behind it, which is why some things just don't sound right paired up, but when you get down to it, the goal is really to find what sounds right for your tastes. This runs in line with why you can't make a good purchase decision by simply looking at the specs.

May 6, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Synergy is simply a combination of componants, whatever they may be, that work together in such a way that it produces a sound, the nature of which is very much to your personal preferences in one or more ways.

For example, lets say that you have an existing setup, but have never managed to find a cd player that you like, if you then end up trying a Sony, and it really works well, then you might be predisposed to Sony products in the future.

One of the best examples of synergy is seeing if you prefer a dynamic or electrostatic sound in your setup. I personally am a fan of both dynamic and electrostatic headphones, but when using other peoples equipment, i find that i will prefer how one headphone sounds with it than others.

How do you take your tea? Theres no solid answer. Some people like milk, some people like lots of sugar, some people will throw the tea in the bin and bring out a coffee perculator or a tub of cocoa powder. Its all subjective and it all depends on how things balance out with your own personal taste.

May 6, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 18
Some people try to get enlightment....

Some people try to get Synergy
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
How do you take your tea? Theres no solid answer. Some people like milk, some people like lots of sugar, some people will throw the tea in the bin and bring out a coffee perculator or a tub of cocoa powder. Its all subjective and it all depends on how things balance out with your own personal taste.

And taking this further... just because you buy the most expensive tea/coffee you can find, doesn't mean it isn't going to taste like crap to you.

May 6, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
And taking this further... just because you buy the most expensive tea/coffee you can find, doesn't mean it isn't going to taste like crap to you.

But then again, there are definately very wrong ways to make tea!

May 6, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 18
Eggs, sausage and bacon, now that's synergy
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundwise, it's difficult to attain in any way other than experimentation and listening. Even following someone elses synergy will not necessarily work for you as synergy, like sound reproduction itself, is very subjective.

Try different combinations (if you have the money and means) and see what sounds like the best mix of gear. When you get an overall sound you like best, that's synergy.

May 6, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Synergy = "everything goes well together" ... nothing more to it that that, IMO. You can say there are degrees of synergy, with some combinations producing "magic" and some just sounding better than some other given combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back