The search function is totally ****ed up.
Feb 12, 2008 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Headphoneus Supremus
It really is, and has been ever since the crash. Basically, it searches for any of the terms you enter, not all of them, and nothing you do makes it search all of them.

For example, lets say you search for "warm cd player" (without quotes). It will find all threads that have the word warm, cd or player. Not threads that have all three of those words.

This is driving me nuts because it is making it impossible to search for anything and get meaningful results.

Jude can you fix this???
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is, and has been ever since the crash. Basically, it searches for any of the terms you enter, not all of them, and nothing you do makes it search all of them.

For example, lets say you search for "warm cd player" (without quotes). It will find all threads that have the word warm, cd or player. Not threads that have all three of those words.

This is driving me nuts because it is making it impossible to search for anything and get meaningful results.

Jude can you fix this???
frown.gif

Of course I haven't been here very long (and I defer to your much higher post count), but isnt' this standard for the Head-Fi search engine unless you upgrade your accout (to include Boolean search)?

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jude can you fix this???
frown.gif

Thats why it irks me when posters make smart arse comments like, duh, Use search..

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecommerce813 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course I haven't been here very long (and I defer to your much higher post count), but isnt' this standard for the Head-Fi search engine unless you upgrade your accout (to include Boolean search)?

Umm... it was never like that before the crash and I have not seen any kind of announcement like that. Please jude can't this be fixed?

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 23
How to fix it? Don't use it.

Type site:head-fi.org then your keyword into google and it works ALOT better.

You can search just one one forum too, for example site:head-fi.org/forums/f11/ for the members lounge.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 23
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 23
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 23
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 23
The links in old threads don't match either. You get something completely off topic. I have tried the Boolean search with no good results.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 23
To correctly search for | warm cd player | , you'd need to either go into advance search, then either select 'Search Entire Posts' or 'Search Title Only' option.

Then just type: warm+"cd player"
--the + acts as the AND operator which will search for all the words that are plussed (+) together; without the +, you are performing an OR operated search of 'warm cd player' == warm OR cd OR player--in which each word will get many hits.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Non-contributing number has only OR search enable, contributing member and it seem non-member (when I log out) can get boolean search. A few week ago I was for a while non contributing member( my contribution expired and I didn't renew right away) and I could only get OR search in advance or title any other way and I tried. However I didn't try to log out at that time.

I would assume that it still the case that non-contributing member has a cripple search engine base on 003 comment but I have no way to test it since I'm back at contributing status.

Can a non-contributing member try the search suggested by gshan
and can you try to log out and see if it make a difference if your a non-member?

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 23
I use the google search option and it works perfectly fine though I have to admit the built-in vBulletin search is crappy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back