The sea of Album's that is Bob Dylan's career
May 1, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 25
I read his book and was not happy. Seems he spent a lot of time upset about the fact that people treated him like the voice of a generation. It got him where he is today though.

May 1, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Did anybody here see the 60 minutes (yes, a high schooler who watches 60 minutes) interview he did about 3 months ago? I was wriggling in my seat watching him claim that he wasnt that good, not too many people like him, etc. Modesty is an understatement and a half for how he was acting.

Yeah, I saw it. And I know several highschoolers that watch 60 Minutes (although I am not one of them anymore; I think they have become too sensationalized).

I agree that he was being incredibly modest, but do you really think that he should have admitted that he was the single greatest musician of his time? No matter, the interview was pretty interesting, and I learned alot about his career from it.

May 1, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I agree that he was being incredibly modest, but do you really think that he should have admitted that he was the single greatest musician of his time?

I really do like Dylan a lot, really... but my vote would have to go to Beethoven.
tongue.gif

Edit: Just for fun, I did a Google comparison...

Dylan 7,890,000
Beethoven 5,200,000

May 11, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 25
At yourmusic.com you can get the SACD box for $95 with free shipping.

I have all of Dylan's albums and I have to say that my favorite is his most recent, Love and Theft. I think it has some of the best lyrics he has ever written and his band is really tight and in the pocket on a set of rocking tunes. Time Out of Mind is also a great album and has my favorite Dylan song, "Standing in the Doorway Crying" on it. I love Freewheelin', Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks etc., but I think the guy is doing some of his best work now.

Anyone that likes Desire owes it to themselves to get the Rolling Thunder Revue live album. It has an awesome version of "Isis" on it.

May 11, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob McCraw
At yourmusic.com you can get the SACD box for $95 with free shipping.

Yes! I've just "discovered" this website recently... meaning that I learned about it via another head-fi thread, and must say it's an impresssive deal. All CD's are $5.99 with free shipping, and this includes (the few that they have) box sets and SACD's. You can also get a "steal of a deal" on The Doors and Led Zeppelin box sets relative to what you would pay anywhere else.

May 13, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #21 of 25
for me, these are his best albums (not in any particular order)

BLOOD ON THE TRACKS

JOHN WESLEY HARDING

NASHVILLE SKYLINE

TIME OUT OF MIND

Just buy them all! You cant go without dylan, noone can
evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #23 of 25
Well it looks like I will definately be getting Blood on the Tracks. Im also getting "The Fragile" by NiN, "Lateralus" by Tool, "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, and a 3 disk Platinum best of Queen set. And it will all cost me nill... I love birthdays.

PS. If there isnt one album in that list that you cant really like then you need to broaden your musical taste
tongue.gif

May 14, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
PS. If there isnt one album in that list that you cant really like then you need to broaden your musical taste
tongue.gif

Those are all good ones for sure, but the recording quality on the Queen 3 disc set is notably poor. The MFSL versions of the same material have me spoiled!

May 14, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
As for Blonde on Blonde versus Blood on the Tracks, I am a big fan of his acoustic stuff, so I would go with Blood on the Tracks in a second, but both are excellent.

I have to disagree. Blonde on Blonde is probably one of the greatest folk-rock albums, if not the greatest folk rock album ever made. Blood on the Tracks is a good album, but it really is not in the same category as B/B.

If you want a great accoustic album, you have go earlier and get Highway 61 Revisited or The Freewheeling Bob Dylan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back