The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,021 of 1,909
I've budgeted out a Modi 2 Uber next month for my home theater system. Can't wait to buy it next month! Pending positive reviews, of course.

Even though I intend to use it with speakers, I'll be sure to give it a listen on my headphone setup. This would be Stello DA100 / Modi 2U -> Sheer HA-006+ Plus Edition -> ATH-AD2000 / HD-595.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,022 of 1,909
  Quick question I just got my modi and magni uber set.
I don't have RCA cable yet so I only tried hooking my Modi uber to PC using USB and I couldn't get any sound coming from my headphone. I can notice sound playing from looking sound icon but there is no sound output through my headphone.
Does Modi needs to be connected with Magni to be able to output sounds?

Apparently so. (I asked the same question you did a page or two back.)

Also refer to this link: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Is schiit gonna make an amp/dac built in one unit?

See below quote from jaywillin.

As for models more expensive than the Fulla, see this quote from their site:

I want a combined DAC/amp! Why didn’t you put an amp in here?

We did. They’re just in different chassis and costs another $99-149. They’re called “Magni 2” and “Magni 2 Uber.” Stack the two and tell yourself it’s a combined DAC/Amp for $198-298. Mix and match for exactly what you want. Ha. Try that with a combined DAC/amp. Also try not to shed any tears as you throw away a perfectly good amp with that amp/DAC when digital technology changes. Face it, you want separates. 

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Might I suggest the Mackie MR5 Mk3 Studio Monitors. Around $300 a Pair from Guitar center. They sound very good for the price point. I replaced a Vintage Harmon Kardon Amplifier and MB quart Towers speakers and a Boston Sub with the MK2 versions about 2 years ago with no regrets. At the risk of being skewered by the head fi ers. I prefer listening on a traditional 2 channel setup as opposed to Head phones and I use my Modi as a DAC for my 2 channel setup. Keep in mind speaker placement, types of stands height and person placement make huge differences in the Listening experience. Also the distance from walls affect the lower (bass) frequencies.

Here is how I have my setup
Laptop  -->(USB)--> Wyrd--> Modi--> (RCA) to Preamp --> (RCA) to Mackie Monitors.

My Version of Mackies do RCA and XLR and 1/4 head phone Jack. Usually Pre amps use rca outs. I use all mono price RCA's They work fine.

After a few hours of research last night, I decided (unless someone can convince me otherwise) on the Focal Alpha 50, which are $598 for a pair. I feel that it would be a better investment than collecting more headphones next. (Though I haven't changed my headphone plans; just postponed them.)

Any recommendations for stands? I don't have much space, so I may just put them directly on my desk for now.

I'm waiting to hear from owners of the new gen 2 devices as to build quality and SQ. I expect to hear happy people as even the uber devices are in the world of audio kit, dirt cheap (inexpensive) and built well. Not just stuff thrown in some cheap plastic boxes. There appears to be an honest effort at good design, electronically as well as physically.

Expect only flowery language from me. I won't be able to compare to other desktop systems, since this is my first one.

i wasn't dismissing it. i just feel that it's probably better from the buyers side if they just give the uber a different name.

But having audio gear with the word uber in the name makes me feel so uber!
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,023 of 1,909
As far as power goes the amount the Uber has over the non Uber is not huge. We hear loudness logarithmically, the difference in DB is not all that large. Uber vs. NonUber, 1.5W vs, 1.2W at 32 Ohms is 1 dB, 2.1W vs.1.8W at 16 Ohms is 0.7 db, 320mW vs. 260 mW at 300 Ohms is 0.9 dB. This should not cause earbleeds. Keep an eye on the setting of your gain switch.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,025 of 1,909
  As far as power goes the amount the Uber has over the non Uber is not huge. We hear loudness logarithmically, the difference in DB is not all that large. Uber vs. NonUber, 1.5W vs, 1.2W at 32 Ohms is 1 dB, 2.1W vs.1.8W at 16 Ohms is 0.7 db, 320mW vs. 260 mW at 300 Ohms is 0.9 dB. This should not cause earbleeds. Keep an eye on the setting of your gain switch.

thank you StanD, as you probably know i did not know that. my primary headphone is the 16 ohm sony.

in my particular case, my point probably still stands, kindly cmiiw. i need the magni 2 uber to be at least at 8 o'clock to get the sound centered, with windows 100%. my ideal listening volume is magni 2 uber at 7-7.20 o'clock. so if the uber has less power at 16 ohm, then i can get it to 8 o'clock and get it centered.

i circumvent this by decreasing the windows volume to 30% and setting the uber at 8.15-8.30

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,026 of 1,909

Apparently so. (I asked the same question you did a page or two back.)

Also refer to this link: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

See below quote from jaywillin.

As for models more expensive than the Fulla, see this quote from their site:

After a few hours of research last night, I decided (unless someone can convince me otherwise) on the Focal Alpha 50, which are $598 for a pair. I feel that it would be a better investment than collecting more headphones next. (Though I haven't changed my headphone plans; just postponed them.)

Any recommendations for stands? I don't have much space, so I may just put them directly on my desk for now.

Expect only flowery language from me. I won't be able to compare to other desktop systems, since this is my first one.

But having audio gear with the word uber in the name makes me feel so uber!
tongue.gif

buy a banana stand.

it's not common i happen to be in the same thread with somebody that chooses focal as their main headphone. hope you like it!

with $600 i would've choose entirely different headphone haha

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,027 of 1,909
  buy a banana stand.

it's not common i happen to be in the same thread with somebody that chooses focal as their main headphone. hope you like it!

with $600 i would've choose entirely different headphone haha

You misunderstand.

I was asking about speaker stands.

I will eventually get the Focal Spirit Professional, but currently have the Sennheiser HD 590 and Audio-Technica ATH-M40x.

I am considering getting the Focal Alpha 50 speakers next instead of more headphones.

Hope this cleared things up!
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,028 of 1,909

You misunderstand.

I was asking about speaker stands.

I will eventually get the Focal Spirit Professional, but currently have the Sennheiser HD 590 and Audio-Technica ATH-M40x.

I am considering getting the Focal Alpha 50 speakers next instead of more headphones.

Hope this cleared things up!
biggrin.gif

oh. focal alpha 50 is a speaker? haha lol

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,029 of 1,909

thank you StanD, as you probably know i did not know that. my primary headphone is the 16 ohm sony.

in my particular case, my point probably still stands, kindly cmiiw. i need the magni 2 uber to be at least at 8 o'clock to get the sound centered, with windows 100%. my ideal listening volume is magni 2 uber at 7-7.20 o'clock. so if the uber has less power at 16 ohm, then i can get it to 8 o'clock and get it centered.

i circumvent this by decreasing the windows volume to 30% and setting the uber at 8.15-8.30

The gain switch on low? You probably stated the setting in the past, but I don't remember. Decreasing the windows volume might do so by digital attenuation which is not desireable, if so you might consider using an external attenuator between the sound card and Magni. Also are you using the line out of your sound card? Sorry if any of this was covered in the past.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,031 of 1,909
I believe this is the reason people are confused. Imho you are incorrect in saying that The difference is from the Modi 2 to the Modi 2 Uber is basically adding more inputs. "more sophisticated analog section".

I have posted some quotes earlier in the post from Jason him self. The Modi 2 Uber is much more than just adding a switch for inputs On Page 59 on the thread. the The difference between Modi and Modi 2 may be small, the addition of the switch for "expert mode" and what seems to be minor reworking so yeah its possible that there may not be a huge difference if any at all between the two. But please read below about the Difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber. I am refraining from all caps here but from what i got out of it is its not just an added switch with a "more sophisticated analog section"!

Magni 2  Is also different than the Magni 2 From Jason again

Magni 2 is a very heavily modified Update the the original Magni and Magni2 Uber adds more than just some pre amp outputs.

My Impressions based on what the schiit themselves said fro those on the fence is.

Modi 2 is basically Updated Modi so there may be little advantage to upgrade if you have the original. The expert mode on modi 2 is nice but until some brave person on head fi decided the A/B the two of them the verdict on the SQ improvement over the original is up for debate.

Modi 2 Uber seems to have significant modifications from the original and from the Standard 2 version as well so one can expect a reasonable improvement. Other than just being able to plug in more Schiit. The use of a power supply alone can make noticeable improvements in SQ but its also is using a microprocessor like the bifrost which the non uber modi's do not have. as well as the super secret "more sophisticated analog section". Again the verdict is out on how much more improvement there is but the internals are different. It similar to when Mercedes Benz Drops a car off at AMG, It looks the Same and has much of the same as the standard version,  until you see the bigger exhaust pipes, Wider Tires and realize they added a "flux capacitor" and snorkels for more air to the engine.

Personally I ordered the Modi 2 Uber to replace my original Modi because yes I can us the added connectivity but there is also very good reason to expect SQ Improvements based on what Jason from Schiit has said.

On Magni
It seems Magni 2 has had a very good reworking over the original Magni and  The Uber again has had its fair share of reworking over the Magni 2 with more connectivity to boot.

So it seems very reasonable that climbing the ladder here from any level would give the people on the fence a worth while upgrade.

I would really Like to see some real world comparisons. My Modi 2 Uber shipped on Friday When I get it I will be sure to compare it to the Original to help those on the fence. with that debate

Yeah, i agree with you, but thats why i also added in my post that there were other difference that either new audiophiles don't care (preamp option, the microprocesador,etc) and subjective stuff (more sophisticated análogo stage). Take in count that there is people that claim there is no difference within DACs (Not true IMO. But then again, we all have different ears). Thats why i only put the objective, absolute advantage in my post, that your average joe will understand

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,032 of 1,909
  The gain switch on low? You probably stated the setting in the past, but I don't remember. Decreasing the windows volume might do so by digital attenuation which is not desireable, if so you might consider using an external attenuator between the sound card and Magni. Also are you using the line out of your sound card? Sorry if any of this was covered in the past.

yeah the gain switch on low. gain switch on high is earblown brother!

line out of my sound card yes. line out is the one written L-out that's usually green right?

what does "decreasing the windows volume might do so by digital attenuation which is not desireable" means?
and what's an example of "external attenuator" to put between the sound card and magni?

im using fiio e10k line-out... or straight from laptop / pc to 2 uber using mini to rca cable.

my headphones are sr80e, ma-900, soon dt880, and im trying to sell a shure 940

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,033 of 1,909
  Because of little ol' me, Schiit is going to update the Modi 2 page to reflect that the Modi 2 Uber will ship in 5-7 business days.

Out of curiosity... why is Schiit changing the shipping time for 10-15 to 5-7 days? I'm on my 5th business day of waiting (ordered on Dec. 25th)  for the Modi 2 Uber and can't wait to get it!  Hoping that it will ship this week given the change in production time!

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,034 of 1,909

Out of curiosity... why is Schiit changing the shipping time for 10-15 to 5-7 days? I'm on my 5th business day of waiting (ordered on Dec. 25th)  for the Modi 2 Uber and can't wait to get it!  Hoping that it will ship this week given the change in production time!

it's probably 5 days from today. so you'll still get it 10 days from when you ordered.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,035 of 1,909

The reason there were delays is because they are still producing them. I guess they're getting caught up on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back