The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #391 of 1,909
I'm curious if the Modi 2 has curved the brightness of the original Modi at all. I remember hearing that the original Modi was slightly brighter in the treble than most would consider neutral and I'm wondering if Schiit stuck with the same "signature" with the new model as well. If anyone can confirm if that is that case, please share you impressions. Thanks! 

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #392 of 1,909
  Well, the Schiit Vali is hybrid amp both combined with tubes and capacitors (Solid-State). So basically its half Solid-State and half Tube amp.
The Schiit Vali wouldn't be neutral, you'd get slightly tighter and bigger bass, as well as probably a tiny bit more Sub bass in there (nothing big though), would have a slightly warmer sound in the mids and I heard the treble is forwarded a little bit but in a smooth manner. Solid-States on the other hand are mostly neutral, so if your looking for neutral I'd go for the Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber stacks. I find EQ disgusting IMO and experience because its really frustrating to get the sound you want, unless you're putting a few tweaks.

Do you have the Vali?  I do and that's not how I would describe the sound.

BTW, solid state refers to transistors, not capacitors.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #394 of 1,909
So I contacted schitt support and they told me that there is a noticeable difference between magni 2 and 2 uber, however no difference between modi 2 and modi 2 uber unless you need the extra doodads on the back.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #396 of 1,909
The guy just said it was better sounding to them. Lol 

Schitt Support: "Magni 2 Uber does sound better, in our opinion, but we can’t speculate on whether or not you will find this significant. Sorry to be unhelpful"

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #399 of 1,909
Im not sure why they use the type of usb that they do. I have only seen that type of cable a few times in my life and they were connected to printers. I only ever see regular usb, mini usb, and micro usb for the most part. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #400 of 1,909
  Im not sure why they use the type of usb that they do. I have only seen that type of cable a few times in my life and they were connected to printers. I only ever see regular usb, mini usb, and micro usb for the most part. 

It is standard practice to use a USB B-style receptacle on the back of "standalone" DACs (DACs that are manufactured like a regular stereo component).  There are sound engineering reasons for this. Bifrost, Gungnir, Wadia, Ayre, etc. and all of the other standalone USB DACs I've seen use this connector. The use of a B-connector was an intentional feature designed by the USB Implementers Forum to prevent connecting a host to another host, which could cause a short circuit.

The exception is the portable dongle-style DACs e.g. AQ DF, Geek Out, Meridian, CEntrance, etc. which use A-style connectors. 

Smart audio component manufacturers DO have reasons for why they do what they do, if you've read Jason's book at all, you know that they think through everything they do VERY thoroughly. And, Schiit certainly knows what it is doing. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #401 of 1,909
Guess lll have to shell out more money to get a b-connector type. And god knows what other cables. Oh well. At least i have some spare 1/4 to 1/8inch adapters already.

Also even though support told me there really isn't a diff between modi 2 and modi 2 uber I really wonder if maybe there is due to the stated improvements in circuit topology. I guess I'm just worried if i dont get the uber ill have sub par sound (then again streaming music from my pc sounds just fine to me so I probably wouldn't notice anyway). If only Jason could chime in if there is a real difference between the 2 and Uber besides the construction of the chassis and the inputs/outputs.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #405 of 1,909
Any recomendations for quality cables? I would assume it would help if the cables are OFC right?

Most cables are OFC anyway.. I'm using stuff from BJC (www.bluejeanscable.com), great quality and value. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back