The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #961 of 1,909

$ , $$$, $$,$$$ ,

This is the crux of the whole lack of understanding.   

You and your little helpers are suggesting that Schiit is about to deliver $$,$$$ performance levels from $$$ parts .  

People very much want to believe, they want to think the new Camaro will deliver Ferrari levels of performance, GM will help them to believe it without actually saying it.  

You're customers ( me included ) will probably never be able to justify owning any of the "Big DAC" stuff from the guys in Watsonville, despite having a closet filled with headphone stuff we don't use.  

Top price point seems to be around $5,000 to $6,000 total for todays best systems which will make your Yggy about spot-on.  

For the new people you might need a "Dick and Jane" reader to help them take their "First" step on your product escalator, trying to learn from reading this site isn't the ideal, you may end up needing a "My First Schiit" type product. 

I wish you well,

Tony in Michigan 

ps. I hope you buy one of the Mid-Engine Corvettes when they come out.  I'd love to see a pix of you in a $$$,$$$ Car that we made from $,$$$ (or less) parts, a car that we will pay people to say is better than the $,$$$,$$$ super-exotic, super-rare, King of Saudi Arabia's Car. 

ps. 2 , I'm kinking back -- Watching -- having fun!!   thanks for the idea

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #962 of 1,909
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my M40x is sent in for repairs because it's probably a defective unit. I may get the Sennheiser HD 590 (ultra rare) before the Focal Spirit Professional.

Here's my question for anyone with insights: If I sell off all the stuff I want to, I'll have $1,000 or so to spend on audio gear. However, I may not end up selling it all. If I only get enough to buy the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber, would I be better off getting them instead of the FSP at first? (Bear in mind I am also selling my DAPs.) In that scenario, I would only be using the M40x and perhaps the HD 590 as well with them, until I make enough extra to get the FSP too. It's just that I don't know how long it would take to sell everything on this site.

Can you guys guess where I am based on my listed location?
biggrin.gif

Aim to spend as much money on headphones and as little money on the DAC/Amp when on a constrained budget. The improvements better headphones offer are far larger than anything else. I would get a Hifiman HE-400i/560 with a Hifimediy Sabre DAC + Schiit Magni 2. Best to buy used as well.

Originally Posted by tonykaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$ , $$$, $$,$$$ ,

You and your little helpers are suggesting that Schiit is about to deliver $$,$$$ performance levels from $$$ parts .  

People very much want to believe, they want to think the new Camaro will deliver Ferrari levels of performance, GM will help them to believe it without actually saying it.  

You're customers ( me included ) will probably never be able to justify owning any of the "Big DAC" stuff from the guys in Watsonville, despite having a closet filled with headphone stuff we don't use.  

Top price point seems to be around $5,000 to $6,000 total for todays best systems which will make your Yggy about spot-on.  

For the new people you might need a "Dick and Jane" reader to help them take their "First" step on your product escalator, trying to learn from reading this site isn't the ideal, you may end up needing a "My First Schiit" type product. 

I wish you well,

Tony in Michigan 

ps. I hope you buy one of the Mid-Engine Corvettes when they come out.  I'd love to see a pix of you in a $$$,$$$ Car that we made from $,$$$ (or less) parts, a car that we will pay people to say is better than the $,$$$,$$$ super-exotic, super-rare, King of Saudi Arabia's Car. 

ps. 2 , I'm kinking back -- Watching -- having fun!!   thanks for the idea

You can make a terrible DAC/Amp through expensive parts and you can make an amazing DAC/Amp through cheap parts. Implementation matters far more greatly than the quality of components used. That was what the ODAC/Objective2 was meant to show.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #965 of 1,909

Mr.Dreyka,

I, as a person closing out my 7th decade was writing to a person in their mid-60s using social cues that were part of our history, you young lads may not know what a Dick & Jane Reader is, or a "My First Sony" was relative to the consumer electronics market, or what a Camaro is .  Don't worry about it, you already have your versions of "unintelligible" to confuse everyone else.  

I have to laugh about that ODac you mentioned, NwAvGuy beat Schiit at their own game with his designs. Fortunately, he left the building!  No Encore! Or, maybe he'll return with a DIY R2R & sub Femto Clock.  
We live in exciting times, soooooo much to learn,

Tony in Michigan

ps.  thanks for writing  

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #966 of 1,909
Mr.Dreyka,

I, as a person closing out my 7th decade was writing to a person in their mid-60s using social cues that were part of our history, you young lads may not know what a Dick & Jane Reader is, or a "My First Sony" was relative to the consumer electronics market, or what a Camaro is .  Don't worry about it, you already have your versions of "unintelligible" to confuse everyone else.  

I have to laugh about that ODac you mentioned, NwAvGuy beat Schiit at their own game with his designs. Fortunately, he left the building!  No Encore! Or, maybe he'll return with a DIY R2R & sub Femto Clock.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  thanks for writing  

I'm in my 6th decade and I reiterate...ZZZZZZZZZ...

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #967 of 1,909

Mr. Tuneslover in Canada,

The "California" style answer for you is to buy both and do the Review for everyone to read! 

Of course your review will be biased to your Frozen North sensibilities and will be discounted for various reasons, people will say it's too vague and not relevant because you failed to test both systems with all the various headphones in common use.  

They will find your Conclusion summary useful or not useful leaving you to wonder.  

Or you can simply rely on the Schiit summary and buy accordingly. 

You can't make a mistake, this stuff will sell quite well on ebay once you decide to up-grade to the better stuff that comes out.  

Tony in Michigan

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #968 of 1,909

The "California" style answer for you is to buy both and do the Review for everyone to read! 

Of course your review will be biased to your Frozen North sensibilities and will be discounted for various reasons, people will say it's too vague and not relevant because you failed to test both systems with all the various headphones in common use.  

They will find your Conclusion summary useful or not useful leaving you to wonder.  

You can't make a mistake, this stuff will sell quite well on ebay once you decide to up-grade to the better stuff that comes out.  

Tony in Michigan

Blah blah blah and ZZZZZZZZ

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #969 of 1,909
Man I keep checking back to this thread in hopes of reading meaningful comparisons between the Originals and 2/Ü M&M but after 60+ pages...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...OK fine there have been few first impressions.

After a few hours of listening to the Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber combo with Wyrd (and a hundred or so hours on the Magni / Modi / Wyrd combo), I've compiled my detailed review:

The Uber combo sounds better.  How much better?  About $100 to $150 better.  If you already have the original combo, and think you can sell for almost what you paid, the upgrade would definitely be worth the extra $150, assuming you can get $150 for what you have (remember, you already paid for the originals a while ago, that money doesn't count now 
wink.gif
).  

If you're coming into this as a first time buyer, just get the Ubers.  Otherwise you'll sit there and wonder how much better the Ubers might have sounded and won't let yourself enjoy what you have.

Wait a minute...sorry!  I just noticed you asked for a "meaningful" comparison.  Oops, didn't mean to wake you.

Sidenote:  I personally enjoy the Modi 2 Uber because I could connect my USB source and Xbox One at the same time.  Not sure I notice any sonic differences with the DAC.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #970 of 1,909
So I sold my iPod classic and ordered the ultra-rare Sennheiser HD 590. Now I pretty much need the Schiit amp and DAC! XD

(Only because I don't like plugging straight into computers, since I think they sound lifeless.)

After a few hours of listening to the Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber combo with Wyrd (and a hundred or so hours on the Magni / Modi / Wyrd combo), I've compiled my detailed review:

The Uber combo sounds better.  How much better?  About $100 to $150 better.

What about with and without the Wyrd?

(Also, if it sounds better with the Wyrd, please speculate as to why this is the case on your system.)

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #971 of 1,909

Mr.Dreyka,

Tony in Michigan

ps.  thanks for writing  

You should give this a rest. You like to brandish technical terms, that I suspect you know little about, Perhaps you have, "soooooo much to learn" but many of your posts IMO borders on trolling. If you don't care for Schiit, why even post here?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #972 of 1,909

Tony in Michigan

Any comparison between the Objective amp and even the Magni 1 are unacceptable. I have both amps and the Objective is just plain bad, in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #973 of 1,909

$ , $$$, $$,$$$ ,

hi, im new to all this, so i dont know about schiit's relative level of performance. i do know that they price their goods the way they price it by cutting the middleman.

(largely) by doing direct selling, and cutting international distributors + retailers, they can offer crazy-good prices to the end-users directly. My own assumption is that a $250 schiit amp, if sold traditionally through authorized distributors would be at least $320 in the US and $370 outside the US.

i know this because where im at, the magni 1 is sold at $240 and the asgard 1 is sold at $380, and i think i only get a couple months warranty.

i dont know about level of performance, but i know i'm getting my money's worth by schiit doing direct selling.
even though in some countries cases you still have to pay enormous amount for taxes.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #974 of 1,909
What about with and without the Wyrd?

(Also, if it sounds better with the Wyrd, please speculate as to why this is the case on your system.)

I've used Wyrd from the start because I use my Schiit with iOS devices. I must say, aesthetically, the Wyrd looks not so good when stacked with the Ubers. Hoping for a Wyrd Uber in the future!

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #975 of 1,909
I've used Wyrd from the start because I use my Schiit with iOS devices. I must say, aesthetically, the Wyrd looks not so good when stacked with the Ubers. Hoping for a Wyrd Uber in the future!

Ah, so I guess you haven't tried it on a PC with and without the Wyrd, to see if there was a significant audible difference on your system?

I guess as long as there aren't any major problems, I won't need the Wyrd for my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back