The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
May 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #301 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
About 10% SACD 30% CD 60% Files
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Yes for the next DAC
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
no more than $300

May 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #302 of 333
It is almost may 15th. Good luck everyone :) I have one question. I'm really interested in the lyr. But how does it perform with low impedance headphones? I'm planning to buy the audeze lcd2 but since I'm a student it'll take some time. I currently own the m50's and I'm interested in the he-400 to  satisfy my needs. Since both are easy to drive. Is the lyr a good option? I like the way schiit gear looks and it fits with my pc.

May 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #303 of 333
Quote:
It is almost may 15th. Good luck everyone :) I have one question. I'm really interested in the lyr. But how does it perform with low impedance headphones? I'm planning to buy the audeze lcd2 but since I'm a student it'll take some time. I currently own the m50's and I'm interested in the he-400 to  satisfy my needs. Since both are easy to drive. Is the lyr a good option? I like the way schiit gear looks and it fits with my pc.

Apparently, the Lyr accepts from 8-600 ohms, and it was designed mostly for orthodynamics that have low impedance and low sensitivity, so it would be ideal for the LCD-2s and HE-400s. If your thinking about using your M50s on it, it probably wouldn't be a good idea since they would have a higher sensitivity.

May 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #304 of 333
Thank you for your reply. 

But do you think it's possible? I don't really care if it isn't the best match. But if it can run it i will buy lyr. I originaly bought the m50's for portable use anyway. For home I will use the he-400 or maybe the Grado RS2.

May 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #305 of 333
Quote:
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
No.
0%/0%/100% (of which perhaps 5% is higher than 16/44.1)
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Only if there is a non disc based format for DSD material.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
$100?

May 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #306 of 333
Quote:

Yup.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
     No :[
     90% files, 10% CD
     Not the hugest
     At the moment not much because I have not had time to upgrade all my files. My focus is still on headphones for now :]

:D

May 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #307 of 333
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. 

But do you think it's possible? I don't really care if it isn't the best match. But if it can run it i will buy lyr. I originaly bought the m50's for portable use anyway. For home I will use the he-400 or maybe the Grado RS2.

I, personally, wouldn't use the M50s with it. However, that's not to say it wouldn't work, it may. I would just be afraid to use them with something that puts out 6W into 32 ohms, but I'm not an electrical engineer or anything so don't take my word as to whether you can or can't use it with the M50s.

May 13, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #308 of 333
1a. Yes
1b. Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No I don't

N/A

Probably not. I am generally fine with lossless audio formats; a premium feature like SACD decoding would probably drive the price of a DAC up out of the range I am willing to pay, for a feature that I would likely not make much use of.

Once again, probably not applicable to my needs, so I can't really say. A DAC that could be upgraded would be an interesting idea, though, because it would essentially nullify my negative comment in number 4. 

Thanks, guys!

May 13, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #309 of 333
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Less than 1%
4. No
5. $300

May 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #310 of 333
Yes, No.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes.
.1%
No. Not an important decision but if it was included I would consider it a minor plus.
$200.

May 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #311 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes, I am well versed in the DSD format.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No.

95+% Files, 5% CD/Other

It is something I look at, although the DACs that can do DSD are typically out of my price range (the example I am thinking of is ~$1400).

This thought came to mind while researching the chip used for conversion in the Bifrost (the AK4399 does DSD natively), and is how I ended up at this thread. I am going to be buying a Bifrost (assuming I don't win this one!
biggrin.gif
), and I would be willing to pay $200-300 for an upgrade that can accept a DSD stream from a PC.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

May 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #312 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Wasn't until I saw this post - I just did a quick wiki search to check it out. 

2. Do you own any SACDs?  No.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?   N/A

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  No, but after learning more, it could be. 

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?   I would want to hear/learn more prior to spending money, but I probably would consider spending up to around $100-300 for an u[grade, depending on my applications/usage at the time (EDIT: I would also assume my other gear was upgraded by then - probably wouldn't spend the money with my current setups). 

May 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #313 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?  Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  5% SACD, 80% CD's, 15% DVDA+files.  Everything I have has been converted to files and I want more SACD/DSD!!!!
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? Yes
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  Yes

May 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #314 of 333
2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1. Yes
2. Nope.
3. N/a
4. Not really
5. Depends on how musical the 24/94 / redbook decoding is. Given the cost of replacing my music, probably not.

Keithc:wink:

May 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #315 of 333
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the responses so far! I just thought I'd let you know we're closing up entries as of midnight PST on Tuesday, May 15 (tomorrow.) We'll choose the winner by a random draw, based on actual responses only, and announce the winner here in a couple of days. 

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back