The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
May 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #286 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 
90% FLAC 16bit/44kHz
9% FLAC 24bit/88.2&higher
1% SACD

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
Yes/No, because it is not common on the DACs right now, but it would be nice to have that feature to be able to use instead of buying another DAC.
Thus, an upgrade would be a nice touch to a DAC.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
If USB upgrade is $100/$150, I would consider the SACD/DSD upgrade be something in the range of $300-$400.

May 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #287 of 333
Quote:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? Yes DSD? No
2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 2%/90%/8%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?N/A

Cheers,
Bob

May 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #288 of 333
YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
YES
10% SACD,85%CD,5% files
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
yes, if available
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
$300-400

May 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #289 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES, only SACD
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
YES
2% SACD, 5% CD, 93% Files
NO
NO

May 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #290 of 333
Yes and yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
A handful (no player)

I toss out discs; 5% HD tracks and 95% red book

It has not in the past due to lack of SACD player; it certainly could be is #5 comes to see the light

In a heartbeat; ~$300

May 8, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #291 of 333
NO

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Absolutely.

5% SACD vs 50% CD vs 45% digital files

No? Violectric, Benchmark, Grace design, Burson, etc didn't make it big because of SACD/DSD. =)

No. $0. Because I'll have one once after i won your Bifrost. i believe so. =)

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #292 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes, I am.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
I do not currently own any physical mediums at all.

My entire collection is files.

No, although for the sake of universality, it would be nice to have this functionality. I don't expect to ever use it, but one never knows...

I would not pay anything for the upgrade. There is no evidence that SACD/DSD is audibly superior to PCM, so I would consider it a waste of money.

May 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #293 of 333
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
-
Not at al.
Nothing, not really interested in SACD to be honest. 

May 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #294 of 333
yes and yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
yes, and a player as well.
5% SACD, 85% CD, 10% files
It was not but perhaps it should have been/will be going forward.
I would hope to keep it in the $100-$150 range.

May 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #295 of 333
Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?   Not anymore.  I owned a few, player died, never replaced, sold the discs.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  95% CDs ripped to FLAC, 5% HD FLAC downloads (HDTracks).

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  Not at this time.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  I probably would not pay for an SACD/DSD upgrade at this time.  My current listening habits are almost entirely based around a computer source, either with CDs I've ripped or high-res downloads, with some records thrown in here and there.  Because I'm mostly computer-based, my main concerns with a DAC are 24/192 over USB and that's about it!

May 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #296 of 333
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes 
5%
Yes 
It would depend on whether the chips being offered were superior to the ones in my SACD player  

May 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #297 of 333
So, in order:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
No
0%
No
No

May 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #298 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 2
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? no
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? no

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

May 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #299 of 333
Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
None, most of my musics don't come in SACD format
0% SACD VS 30% CD vs 70% file
Nope, because i don't own any SACD
150+/-50 could be a reasonable entry point for me 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back