The "safety" of IEMs.
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Singlemalt

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking into buying new earphones and I stumbled across this site. I'm looking into the IEM - particularly the SA6 or the triple fi 10. One of the things that worries me is how safe are they?

ie. Can your hear traffic in the car? Is it safe to use while driving. Can you use it while walking around the streets? I'm just worried about the level of isolation and not noticing any dangers.

Also - how quick are they to get out? I'm paranoid about accidently having the volume up to high and blowing my head off.

I'm sorry if this has been repeated in a different thread but I did try to search "cars" and "safety" but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
SM

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 18
Depends on the IEM, but I think it's generally a bad idea to use them when you need to be able to hear something, such as driving. In fact, I think it's illegal to use any kind of earphone while driving, depending on where you live.

As for the volume, just get into the habit of turning the volume all the way down before hitting play. They're not all that easy to pull out if you have a good seal!

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 18
I must admit that I use my Er-6i's some of the times I'm on my bike in the city, of course it's not the greatest of ideas, but I still feel I can hear some of the most important sounds (car honking among other sounds...). You just have to be extra careful and listen on low volume.

While the ER-6i's are a low 16 ohm, I have never had the same feeling... But since I will be using my amp much more now when I get my LW's, I might be a bit more worried...

EDIT: Welcome to the forums btw! Noticed your screen name, what is your favorite single malt?
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 18
First of, using any kind of headphone while driving is a bad idea (not to mention illegal in many places). No one with a right mind will tell you it is safe to use headphone when driving.

I have been walking around busy city's streets countless times with my IEM. The trick is to always looking around and pay attention to the surrounding with your eyes. Even the best isolating headphone will still leak sound. As long as you are listening to your music in a reasonably low volume, you will still be able to detect loud sound like car honk.

Lastly, they (meaning universal IEM, not custom) can be take out as quick as your average iBud.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 18
x2 w/ clieOs & I'd add cycling...it's risky enough riding knowing car drivers look straight through cyclists, but when you can't hear em as well....badbadbad.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 18
yeah, I get really concerned when I see other drivers with headphones in, because you know they're entirely not focused on driving, and instead focused on fiddling with their ipod (and the people on their cellphones, even worse)

as far as walking/biking with IEMs in, I don't particularly like it, because while you have the 180* in front of you covered with your eyes, you have no idea whats coming from behind you half of the time, even on low volume, unless its a very loud thing coming at you (i.e: a train, a big truck, etc, but things like joggers, dogs, etc, you generally have no idea)

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 18
That's why you need more than a single set of portable phones. SA6s for times that call for isolation (planes, trains, mass transit, TV noise, etc.) and a pair with sound leakage (OK2s or OK3s, or even canalphones). I know it sounds excessive, but when I walk around this city, Philly, I tend to go with canalphones (Sony ED082) or buds (OK3s), not the Sleeks. Just my personal choice. Also, as has been noted here, driving with phones in your ears is nuts, and probably illegal if you get caught.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 18
i dont like walking with music period, because walking clears my head (i also end up tuning out most noise), as far as planes, trains, and mass transit (except light rail), i end up falling asleep within 5 minutes anyways (i have no idea, its like a defense mechanism, i can get a solid 8 hours of sleep, wake up, drink half a dozen cups of coffee, be wired awake, hop on a bus, and be out like a light within 10 minutes)

but yeah, i agree that for people who want music in high traffic areas, you want something that leaks, so you can hear the world around you

as far as making quiet-ish aeras, quieter, like libraries, i prefer more isolation vs actual sonic quality, mostly because people are really noisy in libraries

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 18
I know it's bad, but I can't stand al the crazy annoying noise around me when traveling, so I always end up using my HD25 or IEM's. After 4 years I have yet to get in my first accident.
Just be very aware of what is happening around you, and train your reflexes.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont like walking with music period

It's especially hard when listening to something in 19/16 like The Mahavishnu Orchestra's Celestial Terrestrial Commuters, or worse, a changing meter, like the Jethro Tull album Songs From the Wood. Walk around listening to that and you'll make the ministry of silly walks.

It's probably not safe when walking, either. You might not hear that horn and get side swiped by the good humor man or flattened by a street sweeper.

The other side of safety is your hearing. There seems to be some mixed opinions, but there's some good research to show that IEMs are better than ear buds and headphones in noisy environments because it allows you to listen at muich lower sound pressure levels. I can listen to classical on the subway with foam tips, and hear pretty much all but the pp (very quiet) and softer passages without turning the volume up to busting an ear drum when it hits fff (The "What did you say?" loud zone).

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singlemalt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ie. Can your hear traffic in the car? Is it safe to use while driving. Can you use it while walking around the streets? I'm just worried about the level of isolation and not noticing any dangers.

First of all, I cannot stress it enough, NEVER WEAR HEADPHONES WHILE DRIVING!! EVER!! NEVER!! NO
mad.gif
It's extremely dangerous and illegal in most places any way.

Quote:

Also - how quick are they to get out? I'm paranoid about accidently having the volume up to high and blowing my head off.

Generally, IEM/canalphones are not quick to get out. You really don't want to quickly yank out anything that is in your ear canal and making a seal. Popping that seal too quickly can be painful. You want to carefully remove the tip, to slowly break the seal and reduce ear suction(if you have it).

Before inserting the IEM/canalphone, make sure the volume is low. I turn it all the way down, JIC it is louder than usual from previous use.

Quote:

I'm sorry if this has been repeated in a different thread but I did try to search "cars" and "safety" but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
SM

It has been discussed before, especially with phones for motor bike riding. Also a terrible idea. Never hurts to bring it up again.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for the replies,

I wasn't aware it was illegal to drive with headphones. I figured it wasn't safe - particularly with IEM's - but I wasn't sure. In Australia where I live it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving but hands free kits are acceptable. I entertained the idea of driving with IEMs due to the some of the 'phones having a "push to talk" option which would allow me to answer my iphone "handsfree".

If I used just one speaker then I could use it and push to talk - however it would largely negate the purpose of getting good earphones. People drive with those ridiculous (IMHO - some people thinks its cool) looking bluetooth star treck recievers all the time. Maybe it would allow me to listen properly out of car?

I've never used an IEM before. I never had an ipod thingy before. The concept of lossy compression on music horrifies me - i must be showing my age. I still have my audio note valve preamp hooked up to an old cj valve power amp powering some apogee ribbons.

Thanks for all the input. Its puts things into perspective. I will have to look at different options - probably a radio transmitter option for the car and 'phones for everything else.

Oh... I don't have a favourite malt. I love them all - how do you choose? Somedays I want some smokey peat of a talisker, somedays the cleaness of oban, sometimes a little bit of chocolate. I'm currently drinking laphroaig
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
SM

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Thanks for the replies,

I wasn't aware it was illegal to drive with headphones. I figured it wasn't safe - particularly with IEM's - but I wasn't sure. In Australia where I live it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving but hands free kits are acceptable. I entertained the idea of driving with IEMs due to the some of the 'phones having a "push to talk" option which would allow me to answer my iphone "handsfree".

If I used just one speaker then I could use it and push to talk - however it would largely negate the purpose of getting good earphones. People drive with those ridiculous (IMHO - some people thinks its cool) looking bluetooth star treck recievers all the time. Maybe it would allow me to listen properly out of car?

Singlemalt everyone has given you the right advice to not drive with IEMs - but I confess I do (after getting the Triple-Fi's there's no budget for car-fi!). I keep the volume really low (8-9 out of 50 on my d2) and it sounds pretty good. I live in a city where traffic only crawls and the music takes the stress out of a 1 hour plus commute.

I've never checked whether it is legal but I am sure it is not (driving with both ears plugged at -36db noise isolation cannot be legal!). But from experience I find the music is far less distracting than a hands-free phone. Talking while driving has caused concentration lapses for me. Listening to music helps me concentrate better somehow (just as it does when I am working)

Having said that - Don't do what I do!

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Oh... I don't have a favourite malt. I love them all - how do you choose? Somedays I want some smokey peat of a talisker, somedays the cleaness of oban, sometimes a little bit of chocolate. I'm currently drinking laphroaig
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
SM

Good taste in malts! Look out for Old Malt Cask 50deg by Douglas Laing & Co. Distilled @ Laphroaig, aged 13 yrs. A very fine whisky indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back