:( the sad wallet-which of these headphones should i get? :)
Dec 23, 2007 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cdingdong

New Head-Fier
i'm a poor college kid who listens to music through a sound card (creative xmod) on a macbook. i also edit music. because i can't use my speakers all the time (my room mate complains), i have to resort to headphones to listen or edit music. sadly, the only headphones i own are ibuds. i have gotten sick of them. why? they suck. so, i plan to get some decent closed headphones for ~$100 and would like some opinion. i don't plan on getting an amp, so headphones that need an amp to sound good are out of the question. i've narrowed down to these headphones:

Audio Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technica ATH-A700
Audio Technica ATH-ES7
Denon D-1000
Sony MDR-7506

what should i get? suggestions different from list are also welcome. thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Sony MDR-V6 as well.

the 7506 was already in the list, and it's just a gold plated v6.

Equation rp-21 is my suggestion

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 7506 was already in the list, and it's just a gold plated v6.

Right, and the V6 is 2/3 the price and performs just about the same.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 12
you've got the right list, if anything I'd drop the ES7 unless you need portable (in which case you'd need a whole different list anyway), and maybe add in the RP-21. A little quick searching on the differences should suffice to lead you in the right direction. Any of them should be passably good budget options.

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Head-Fi.org? "Search" is in the header.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdingdong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where would i find the differenced between those headphones? is there a place that has comparisons of them?

You might want audition them at a music store first and make enquiries at the same time. Sound is so personal

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you've got the right list, if anything I'd drop the ES7 unless you need portable (in which case you'd need a whole different list anyway), and maybe add in the RP-21. A little quick searching on the differences should suffice to lead you in the right direction. Any of them should be passably good budget options.

i do need portable, with similar $ constraints (though let's say max $250) - not to hijack this board, but perhaps a kind soul could PM me I'd appreciate it!

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 12
why don't you get the better sounding open ATs like the ad700 or the ad900 depending on your budget? they leak a little sound but its nothing like speakers in the room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back